ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
trufflelottery
Rep
Drives: N/A

Where to get PPI in Dallas?

Hello,

I will be heading to Dallas to buy a Z4M Coupe this week. Which shop would you recommend getting the PPI back?

I've already searched the forums and it seems that most people recommend either Classic BMW or Autoscope. Which of these locations is best? Which mechanics know a lot about the Z4 M Coupe or S54 engines? For reference I will be flying in to the DFW airport.

Thanks,
Truffle Lottery

P.S. I've seen some members get the PPI done before they fly in, however I don't feel comfortable with that as the shop then knows I'm not local and the seller may have some sway with them. Is that reasonable/rational?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufflelottery
Hello,

I will be heading to Dallas to buy a Z4M Coupe this week. Which shop would you recommend getting the PPI back?

I've already searched the forums and it seems that most people recommend either Classic BMW or Autoscope. Which of these locations is best? Which mechanics know a lot about the Z4 M Coupe or S54 engines? For reference I will be flying in to the DFW airport.

Thanks,
Truffle Lottery

P.S. I've seen some members get the PPI done before they fly in, however I don't feel comfortable with that as the shop then knows I'm not local and the seller may have some sway with them. Is that reasonable/rational?
Get the PPI done at a trustworthy shop or dealer BEFORE you go.

Trust me I am saving you the trip even if it's not so bad they will tell u exactly what's wrong with it. Just do a simple search on forums/google on which shops do PPIs.

One time I did a PPI on a car far away they send me a detailed PDF after and it was a total mess and near salvage. I never will put a deposit then do a PPI again, PPI first.
      09-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Agreed- you don't need to fly in before the PPI. If the shop is reputable, they will give you accurate info. Just call and speak to them ahead of time. It will be you paying for it correct? If so, then I don't see the owner having any sway in the transaction. That being said I wouldn't give the seller anything until I laid eyes on and drove the car myself, no matter what the PPI says.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
trufflelottery
Rep

Yes I would be paying for the PPI, however I was thinking the seller could try to influence the mechanic to omit details. I wouldn't pay or leave a deposit until I test drive the car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:24 AM   #5
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I would be paying for the PPI, however I was thinking the seller could try to influence the mechanic to omit details. I wouldn't pay or leave a deposit until I test drive the car.

Thanks
Get the PPI and then go there and buy the car the next day/week.

Putting a deposit for me is not worth it.
      09-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufflelottery View Post

Thanks
Unless the shop owner is the sellers friend, I don't see it being much of a concern. You are paying the bill.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
gmbbs
Private
Rep
Drives: TBD

Do NOT go to Autoscope unless you have money to burn and like being lied to. I have first hand experience of a PPI I had done there.

Among the many incorrect things, the most egregious was the leaking front seal on my A/C compressor. Autoscope misdiagnosed it as a bad head gasket! So the trail of A/C oil leaking out of the front of the A/C compressor onto the front under tray was a head gasket...??? When I tried to reason with the service writer that a leaking head gasket is NOT going to leak compressor oil out of the front seal of the compressor, he refused to entertain the fact they might be wrong, and refused to change their "diagnosis." Makes you wonder what the potential buyer would have done had they spent $2400 to have the head gasket replaced, and yet the A/C pump was still leaking??? I guess Autoscope would us the opportunity to sell them a $1000+ A/C compressor!

Being VERY mechanically inclined, and in the industry, nothing makes my blood boil like a shop that is entrusted by a customer to be honest, and uses that opportunity to rape the person who trusted them! They tried to steal $2400+ from me or my potential buyer, but I was knowledgable enough to avoid the scam. I feel sorry for the dozens of other "customers" whose cars were in the fancy Autoscope shop. I'm sure they all needed head gaskets.

In Dallas I would recommend:

Clownshoe
911 Enterprises
Louden

In Ft.Worth there is Lone Star Bavarian, and Autobahn. If you want a dealer, I'd recommend Autobahn, Classic, BMW of Dallas, Moritz...in that order.

But most of all, do NOT give the scum of Autoscope a single one of your hard earned dollars.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
trufflelottery
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I think I will be going with Clown Shoe Motorsports.

Does anyone think it is worth getting the valves, VANOS, and the VANOS tabs on the exhaust cam inspected? Its an extra $300.

Last edited by trufflelottery; 09-29-2016 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I think I will be going with Clown Shoe Motorsports.

Does anyone think it is worth getting the valves, VANOS, and the VANOS tabs on the exhaust cam? Its an extra $300.
Nope