ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #1
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

airbag light

hey guys, just a quick question concerning the airbag light, the shop responsible for my seat/harness install ofccourse didn't wire up my pax seat emulator nor did they include the belt pre tensioners in my re-install, so ill need to do that myself, no biggie (i hope) but my question is in regards to driving the vehicle while the airbag light is on, my understanding is that in a crash both airbags will still deploy correct?

can i code out the pre tensioners? or i am i forced to re-install then?

funnily enough, i don't have a seatbelt light on… lol..
      09-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

There's a lot of misinformation out on the web that states the airbags won't deploy if the SRS light is on, but that's a misinterpretation of where the owners manual indicates they may not deploy if there's a fault in the system. The only components in the SRS system that will purposely keep the air bags from deploying are the passenger seat occupancy sensor and the passenger seat occupancy sensor bypass switch. Anything else, the system will try to deploy the air bags.
On coding out the pretensioners, I've not seen anywhere that INPA or any of the other tools give access to make changes in the SRS system. I'm not stating it's not possible, just that I haven't seen it or seen where anyone else has posted on it.
To get the SRS light to stay off with the pretensioners out of the circuit you'll need to simulate the bridgewire in the pyro device. A 0.5 ohm resistor would be a good starting point to try.
Whatever you do, DO NOT try measuring the resistance of the pretensioner to see what the measurement is. There's a high probability you'll set if off as soon as you touch the ohm meter leads to the contacts.
      09-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Thanks mate, nope that sounds too hard, and ill just include the pre-tensioners behind the seat somewhere like Ti did. Last thing i wanna do is end up with an exploding airbag in my face, I've seen Bad Neighbours, and even though its funny, i don't recon that would be funny at all if it happened to you.