ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

another thread on wheels & tires

I have finally decided it's time to replace my oem wheels. Mine are getting pretty beat up at this point. Last week I managed to hit a curb - the first time in 3 1/2 years & nearly 60,000 miles - I was pissed! 2 of them are starting to peel. I have had to have them straightend twice now & they are due again. The roads here in New Hampshire REALLY SUCK!

So it's time. I don't have a ton to spend as most of my $$ just went to a new Harley & the $6k in upgrades for her. I've pretty much decided on Beyern Mesh - I've seen several pics here on this forum - they look decent and they seem to be a pretty good bang for the buck.

From what I've researched, the stock wheels on my Z4 ///Mr are:
F 18 x 8 offset 42 mm
R 18 x 9 offset 30 mm

What I'm looking at are:

F 18 x 8.5 offset 40 mm
R 18 x 9.5 offset 30 mm

I used a wheel offset calculator posted by WRH3 (thanks!) and this is what I've come up with using these wheels:

Front
The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 4mm LESS
The outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 8mm

Rear
The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 6mm LESS
The outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 6mm

Now for my questions

1 - can anyone verify that the OEM wheel specs that I listed are correct?

2 - will OEM size tires on these wheels fit without any rubbing?

3 - are there any issues putting oem size tires on 1/2" bigger wheels?

4 - what size tires can I comfortably fit on these wheels without having to worry about rubbing?

FWIW - I use my car as my DD and I do not track her at all. I do the occasional "spirited" driving when situations allow. I like the look of the 18" wheels & see no need to switch to 19" wheels, not to mention my tires are relatively new.

Thanks for any & all help!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

I say you find better looking wheels than Beyern...

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

F 18 x 8 offset 42 mm Yes
R 18 x 9 offset 30 mm Yes

F 18 x 8.5 offset 40 mm Could go ET38, Apex ARC8, or stronger Apex EC7, ET35
R 18 x 9.5 offset 30 mm Could go with ET22, Apex ARC8 or ET35 with spacer, or Apex EC7 ET22

Now for my questions

1 - can anyone verify that the OEM wheel specs that I listed are correct? Yes

2 - will OEM size tires on these wheels fit without any rubbing? OEM Suspension? Camber plates? Camber Washers?

3 - are there any issues putting oem size tires on 1/2" bigger wheels? Front may look a bit stretched with 225/45 (especially with rounded sidewalls), wheel is the max size recommended for 225/45 But it's within specs.

4 - what size tires can I comfortably fit on these wheels without having to worry about rubbing? 245/40, 275/35. At least with ET38, and ET22. That's what I'm running. I wouldn't go with 235/40 and 265/35 because with bad roads this cuts the diameter and therefore reduces wheel protection.

I'm running 245/40, 275/35 with front 8.5 ET38 and rear ET22. Ideally these size tires would be run on 9" and 10" wheels for track use, but for street, I think it's fine. I'll post up some pics tomorrow. You could run these wheels with stock sized tires, and like I said above, it may look ever so stretched with a rounded sidewall like the PSS has, probably not an issue with RS3s, NT05s, or Star Specs (all square sidewall tires).

I have camber washers, which decreases the wheel to strut clearance. With the ET38, there's 10mm space between wheel and strut (stock struts and springs), Turner recommends a min of 5mm, and going ET42 means 6mm with the camber washers, you should be fine if you're running them, or if you're pure stock.

Stock size (8" and 9") are just fine with stock size tires btw.

If $$$ are an issue, maybe just have the stock wheels straightened again, and get them powder coated.

I'm sure others will offer recommendations.

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-13-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Beyern wheels are made by tsw. Although they are decent wheels, they are much softer than oem and will most likely bend even easier
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I just got new wheels and tires today so I guess I'll chime in. I got Apex EC-7 wheels using 8.5"-35 in front and 9.5"-22 in back. I bought them in Anthracite finish because I wanted a different look and I must say they look spectacular with the Imola Red finish of the car. I'll post pictures tomorrow after I get a chance to wash the car. As for tires, I got 235/40 in front and 265/35 in back and decided on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tires. Got a great deal and they have a $160 rebate if you use a Goodyear credit card to buy them.

Didn't get too much of a chance to drive today but I couldn't be more pleased with how they look on the car. I can see why so many on the board are high on Apex wheels.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Great info guys - keep it coming
suspension is completely stock. As much as I'd like to completely retrofit her top to bottom, that just isn't in the cards at this time. My wife told me a couple months ago after she had the car for the weekend that I need to start thinking about my next one - in about 2 years - so she can have this one. Then I should be in a better place and have a clean slate to start with. Or better yet - one you you guys will get bored with your ride and I can pick one up already done over for a decent price!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I just got new wheels and tires today so I guess I'll chime in. I got Apex EC-7 wheels using 8.5"-35 in front and 9.5"-22 in back. I bought them in Anthracite finish because I wanted a different look and I must say they look spectacular with the Imola Red finish of the car. I'll post pictures tomorrow after I get a chance to wash the car. As for tires, I got 235/40 in front and 265/35 in back and decided on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tires. Got a great deal and they have a $160 rebate if you use a Goodyear credit card to buy them.

Didn't get too much of a chance to drive today but I couldn't be more pleased with how they look on the car. I can see why so many on the board are high on Apex wheels.
Here are a few pictures of the car with the new EC-7 wheels. I have one close up of the wheel to show the valve stem. I found a Dupli-Color wheel paint that was an exact match for the Apex anthracite color and I painted the valve stems so that they would not be nearly as noticeable and ruin the otherwise great look of the wheels. I'm very pleased with how the Imola Red Z4 M looks with the anthracite wheels.
Attached Images

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Beyern wheels are made by tsw. Although they are decent wheels, they are much softer than oem and will most likely bend even easier
Earlier this year I sold my Breyton Inspirations in 19x9's. I found the wheels to be too soft for roads even here in SOCal and had them repaired/straightened twice as well as fully reconditioned prior to sale. I always received lots of compliments on them but wheels need to be robust.

Its hard to find a good look when avoiding the norm lace wheel design.

Appreciate 0