ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I too am looking for an exhaust, but for my 3.0si. I really like the Eisenmann right now. Very quality. Not sure whether to go for the Race or the Sport. I want it to be loud but not toooo LOUD. Some tracks have a db limit. Laguna Seca is 92db. I emailed Eisenmann and asked them for the db levels in Race and Sport. Here is what they said:

SPORT-Version:

Moving vehicle = 75 db
Stationary vehicle = 90 db

RACE-Version:

Moving vehicle = 81 db (max)
Stationary vehicle = 95 db (max)

"Please note, that the effective db value is not depending on the Eisenmann exhaust only. The effective db value consists of the Eisenmann rear muffler in combination with the remaining OEM exhaust (cat converter, pre silencer,...) the more the remaining OEM system is worn down the louder the complete system is..."

This was for the 3.0si and NOT the M. Just thought I'd share.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Welcome to the forum! Without going too far off topic, I installed a Supersprint race exhaust on my Z4 3.0i and don't consider it loud at all. It's nowhere near the volume of the Diablos the OP has (which I have on my M). The Supersprint setup consisted of a Y-pipe (resonator delete) and muffler. If you have aftermarket headers, the exhaust will be much louder. I find the Supersprint race setup on the non-M to be tame... pretty much perfect for daily driving. My Diablos doubled in volume when I swapped in aftermarket headers and race cats, so I would assume the standard Z4 would also see a noticeable increase in volume.

OP, I'm interested in how much drone the hangers reduced. Can you give an estimated percentage?

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I love my RPIs! For everyday driving, I keep the noise under control by shifting 1st, 3rd, 5th. But when I want noise, the RPIs never fail to deliver!
      10-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
TNZ4MC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M coupe

As far as the booming bass filled drone I talked about earlier, it has been reduced by 95%! Vibrations have decreased the same. I am extremely pleased with these hangers. I would recommend these to anybody looking to add an aftermarket exhaust because they make tip alignment very easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #27
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNZ4MC View Post
As far as the booming bass filled drone I talked about earlier, it has been reduced by 95%! Vibrations have decreased the same. I am extremely pleased with these hangers. I would recommend these to anybody looking to add an aftermarket exhaust because they make tip alignment very easy.
Which hanger does it replace, the one near the inlet of the muffler or the one on the side, toward the bumper?

It looks like it has a rubber insulator between the hanger and the body of the car as well as under the washer for the mounting bolts to the body. It's amazing something so simple could reduce drone and vibration by so much.

To the OP, I know it's hard to find people with different exhausts to listen to, but that's the only way you'll know if you can live with a particular system. Everyone has their own opinion on what's loud and what's not, what has allot of drone and what doesn't.

FWIW, I have stromung and everyone says they're pretty tame, but I think it has an annoying bassy/vibrating sound in the 1700-2100 rpm range, more so with heavier throttle, then the bass/vibration goes away above 2100 rpm. Highway cruising is pretty quiet, just a little deeper and louder than stock. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the stromung, I may look into the DKF hangers, or experiment insulating my stock hangers from the body of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

Magnaflow section 2 replacement is the only way to go for the non-M's!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
pocket hercules
Rep
Drives: Z4M

DKF hangers are great!
I also have the RPI exhaust and find the drone very manageable with throttle position and gear selection.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #30
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Can someone please post up a link to where I can buy these DKF Hangers from?

I have searched everywhere and come up short.

Just got RE Diablo's on last night and love the sound but the low RPM boom needs to be reduced.

It is not the exhaust because the sound is great from outside the cabin, just inside it gets a bit much sometimes.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0