ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Skuronen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Worst possible news for ABS Brake light DSC lights coming on

Yep...in case it happens to you, just thought I would provide the information you might need.

So, out of nowhere the ABS Brake Light (in yellow) and the DSC light come on. I search these forums for possible clues and find out the worst case scenario would be a faulty DSC module and Hydro unit. Unfortunately, that is what it turns out to be according to the BMW dealership and the codes the car is throwing.

5E19 DSC:Engine management: interface
5DF0 DSC: Hydraulic unit: pump motor
5DF1 DSC: Hydraulic unit: pump motor connector faulty

Total cost at dealership = $3394.44 (but they said they will give me a 15 percent discount...geez thanks)

Checking into my local indie shops now and will let you all know what they come back with. The part alone is at least 1500 (BM34-51-6-778-490)

Have not really heard of this happening to many cars on this forum. My 2007 only has 27k miles, so I am not sure of the cause of the problem. The dealership says they see them fail on occasion and that I am lucky I don't have a 6 series. (I am not exactly sure what part of lucky I am with this cost coming up)

Anyway, thought you should all know the facts I have around this problem for future reference.

Ugh.
      08-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Sorry to hear this.

Only thing I can think of is to take it to one of those indie shops, not tell them what the dealer says, and see what they come back with as a diagnosis.

What if it's as simple as a loose connection? (Not saying it is, but who knows, most dealer techs only use paint by numbers approaches, and don't think beyond that.)

I'd want an independent second (or third) opinion before shelling out that kind of money to a dealer.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Only thing I can think of is to take it to one of those indie shops, not tell them what the dealer says, and see what they come back with as a diagnosis.

What if it's as simple as a loose connection? (Not saying it is, but who knows, most dealer techs only use paint by numbers approaches, and don't think beyond that.)

I'd want an independent second (or third) opinion before shelling out that kind of money to a dealer.

Good luck!
Agreed, also saw this guy coming up with the same fault as yours. You two should talk to eachother:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724449

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
diag 34_1550

control module only = 34.52.6.778.492 @ $1139.25
pump w/ module = 34.51.6.778.490 @ $2407.68

if you're CCA and the dealer participates, then take 20% off of parts and 10% off of labor.

GL!
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

oucchhhhhhh major sadface =(

best of luck, im sure youve looked aleady but getbmwparts and tischer for oem parts =(
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Skuronen
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I had forgotten about the CCA discount and in this case, it may make a difference. (beers on me) Good call on not telling the indie shop what the problem is and see if it is just a loose fitting or wiring somewhere. Labor on this fix seems like a fairly simple affair, it's the cost of the that part that is the killer. Will keep you all posted.
      08-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Skuronen
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Indie shop comes up with same results as dealership. I need a new hydro pump/DSC module (sold together).

That's the bad news. The slightly better news is they located a used unit for about $600 coming off a car with 35k miles on it. The unit also comes with a one year warranty.

Total new cost at indie shop with used part including labor looks just shy of $1000.

The absolute best price I found on a brand new unit was $1970. That is just the part alone, no labor included.

So, I am going to take a chance with the used module/pump. Hell, I could replace it every year for 3 years and still be be under the cost of one brand new unit. I figure the chances of multiple units failing must be somewhat low as I don't see too many in this forum having the problem.

Car goes in next week. Meanwhile...no DSC! whhhooooo-hoooooo! (cut to shot of me in ditch...and...scene...fade to black)
      08-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuronen View Post
Indie shop comes up with same results as dealership. I need a new hydro pump/DSC module (sold together).

That's the bad news. The slightly better news is they located a used unit for about $600 coming off a car with 35k miles on it. The unit also comes with a one year warranty.

Total new cost at indie shop with used part including labor looks just shy of $1000.

The absolute best price I found on a brand new unit was $1970. That is just the part alone, no labor included.

So, I am going to take a chance with the used module/pump. Hell, I could replace it every year for 3 years and still be be under the cost of one brand new unit. I figure the chances of multiple units failing must be somewhat low as I don't see too many in this forum having the problem.

Car goes in next week. Meanwhile...no DSC! whhhooooo-hoooooo! (cut to shot of me in ditch...and...scene...fade to black)

Seems to remind me of a thread I saw at one point where someone asked how to turn off both ABS and DSC.

I like your thinking re: the proposed solution. Cost effective and, like you said, chances of the same unit failing are slim. Gotta love those indie shops and cost-effective and creative options!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Is it possible to repair your existing controle module? I thought that companies like this

www.modulemaster.com/

repaired ABS control modules that failed for a fraction of the cost of new parts. I've never had it done myself but I've followed other boards where people have saved a lot of money going that route. TAT is pretty quick too.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
earlgrey69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

I had the same issue with my 07M coupe. I was still under warranty at the time and I don't remember the exact mileage but I presently have 20,000
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Damn wtf...how are these units failing so early on? Scary shit...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Skuronen
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Is it possible to repair your existing controle module? I thought that companies like this

www.modulemaster.com/

repaired ABS control modules that failed for a fraction of the cost of new parts. I've never had it done myself but I've followed other boards where people have saved a lot of money going that route. TAT is pretty quick too.

Thanks for that link. I did see this before. I would still need the hydro pump replaced as well though. If the code had only indicated the module and not the pump as well, I certainly would think they would be a good solution.

Also, one of the first things the tech said when he was describing my issue was, "well at least you don't have an M6..." It would seem they see a fair number of failures like mine on those and it's even more expensive. Hard to say what real world numbers are on this part failing, but in my search online, this has come up for M3 owners as well.

Anyone else here have this part fail? Hopefully I am an outlier with this problem.
      08-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

damn.... that would suck the mod budget dry in a hurry.

Keep us posted on how you make out.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Any source of a specific cause towards failure? This is an odd problem...yes?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #15
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

Had a simiar issue with mine at 56k miles, ABS, DSC, and brake lights all lit up. Had to replace steering and control modules. Total tab was 2200.00 from dealer, with the extended warranty I have with them my out of pocket was 50.00. The SA is a good guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
earlgrey69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgood4u View Post
Had a simiar issue with mine at 56k miles, ABS, DSC, and brake lights all lit up. Had to replace steering and control modules. Total tab was 2200.00 from dealer, with the extended warranty I have with them my out of pocket was 50.00. The SA is a good guy.
Same symptoms that I had except mine would come on randomly for many months. One day the lights stayed on for good.

It is probably just my imagination but I swore mine was temperature related. It seemed to only happen when I drove the car on hot days. I keep mine in the garage at all times and the lights never came on from the initial start up, only after driving and restarting the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Had the ABS lamp come on months ago. It was always accompanied by the memory in the computer wiping out. Took it to an indie and they told be about the codes and the expensive repairs.

Did not get it fixed. In the meantime, the ABS light stopped coming on and it sure felt like the car still had ABS and DSC functional. After about 6 months, the ABS light comes on again. This time I pay attention to what accessories were operating at the time. The ABS lamp only comes on when starting the car, and only when the A/C is left on. Same happens when I leave the iPod plugged in.

If I start the car with those accessories off, all seems to be okay. I'm going on the theory this is an errant electronic signal that may be setting the code until I prove it otherwise.
      08-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Had the ABS lamp come on months ago. It was always accompanied by the memory in the computer wiping out. Took it to an indie and they told be about the codes and the expensive repairs.

Did not get it fixed. In the meantime, the ABS light stopped coming on and it sure felt like the car still had ABS and DSC functional. After about 6 months, the ABS light comes on again. This time I pay attention to what accessories were operating at the time. The ABS lamp only comes on when starting the car, and only when the A/C is left on. Same happens when I leave the iPod plugged in.

If I start the car with those accessories off, all seems to be okay. I'm going on the theory this is an errant electronic signal that may be setting the code until I prove it otherwise.
      08-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
captdchu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 si

hey, Im the other guy with same issue
but my error reads....

5DF0:
DSC-ECU: ECU-internal: RAM adressing test- error

so Im not sure if its just the module or both module and pump
of course the dealer says both

odd thing is the car drives fine, seems abs still works (street test) still handles like before, so I'm thinking ???

anyways, just ignoring the lights for now
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
captdchu
Enlisted Member
Rep

oh yea... its a 07 3.0si with 36k on it

triggered fault when I changed wheels and had rear end rotating while on jack stands, car beeped and lights on since
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdchu View Post
oh yea... its a 07 3.0si with 36k on it

triggered fault when I changed wheels and had rear end rotating while on jack stands, car beeped and lights on since
That sounds like a module with errors that need to be cleared. It may not be a bad module.

Seems like the faults and shadow faults could be cleared (perhaps in conjunction with power cycling the car and ECU with a battery disconnect) to clear the error. It's worth a try.

Do you have access to a Bavarian Techic, P.A. Soft, or similar scanner (that mimics the GT1 diagnostic head)? It's possible to clear deep BMW specific errors with those. If not, I would try an indie shop to see if they can clear the fault first. I wouldn't trust the dealer on this w/o a second independent opinion.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-04-2012 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
captdchu
Enlisted Member
Rep

yea, purchased the bavarian tech cable and tried to clear but it keeps coming back...

how do you power cycle? I've tried disconnecting battery but no luck

next will be an indie shop

thanks
Appreciate 0