ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Shaking/binding

Ok so if you have seen the thread on my mother in-law curbing my wheels I have resolved most of that with new wheels and an alighnment.

However, from a stop in first or second under 20mph the car has a driveline vibration. It completly stops after 20mph but before that you would think the car is going to fall apart. It is not really a sound but a shuddering/vibration. I have so far checked all of the bushings, axels and wheel bearings and all looks good with no slop or play.

I am going to put it back on the lift this weekend to look more for driveshaft and trans/engine mount type of issues. Thought I would ask for possible senerios before I get it up...

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Check the rubber guibo thingy it might be separating under load as theirs more torque at take off than higher speeds ..... Does it seem to vibrate with the wheel speed or engine speed?

Does it shake when the Car is coasting and the trans is in neutral ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It is not related to engine or wheel speed really, I know odd. It is related to torque and low wheel speed combined. It is only during a small 10-20mph window, the car drives perfectly fine with no other odd noises or sounds except for that one window.

I have had bad wheel bearings u-joints and such before and know the basics to look for thats why this is seeming a little odd to me. It is like a binding that does not happen at any other time.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

i had the same issue with my 325I and it tuned out to be the guibo and under tourq it would sperate and cause the drive shaft to shimmy, but if you looked at it, it looked fine!

strange shit!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

If its when you are disengaging your clutch, it sounds like the throw out bearing. We need more specific information.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so the center support bearing on the drive shaft was trashed. I would think this is definatly something others would want to check out as routine maintness as it is not the most robust part I have seen. Part was cheap and changing takes no time at all (I had alot of tools and a lift, recomended).

If you have slight/any vibrations from stopped to about 20mph look into this. I did not notice untill it was really bad, but I was not thinking this would happen either.

It took a relative amount of throttle to get it to shake (wish I would of known would not of been doing it). It went away above 20 and you could not really tell there was an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc
Ok so the center support bearing on the drive shaft was trashed. I would think this is definatly something others would want to check out as routine maintness as it is not the most robust part I have seen. Part was cheap and changing takes no time at all (I had alot of tools and a lift, recomended).

If you have slight/any vibrations from stopped to about 20mph look into this. I did not notice untill it was really bad, but I was not thinking this would happen either.

It took a relative amount of throttle to get it to shake (wish I would of known would not of been doing it). It went away above 20 and you could not really tell there was an issue.
Cool ! Figured it had to be something with the drive shaft.... A bad guibo can also cause that part to fail and vise-versa

It feels great to find you fixed the issue!
Appreciate 0