ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Official "What kind of a car is that?" Thread

Tell us your stories about your interactions with the general public as they witness your Z4MC. I can't wait to hear them. You can't make this stuff up. I'm also curious if Roadsters have some stories.

Here's mine. According to the public, my car is:

- brand new
- imported from Europe
- unknown make/model
- An M3
- Has a V6
- Rear-engined
- $100,000
- So eye-catching that a man tripped on the sidewalk
- Received a compliment from a very old woman
- Received a from a pedestrian
- The subject of several iPhone photographers
- Misc verbal compliments out the windows of moving vehicles

- "How fast have you gotten it?"
- "What color is that?"
- "Keep it under 65" --smirking police officer
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete

Last edited by RADRACR; 04-17-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

1.Been asked if it was a Dodge Viper
2. 6+ people as I was going to the car after a ballgame taking pictures
3. Young boy 13ish at a gas station asked if he could sit in it so I could take his picture in it
4. one police officer circle the car twice in a parking lot before slowly driving off
5. Teacher my wife works with ask would I just give him one quick blast in the car.
6. everyone thinking the car is new
7. and the iPhone pics

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

1. Guy in a Tesla asked me "what the hell is that?" at a stoplight..

2. Two hot blondes waiving from a convertible Sebring. (yesterday) Ignored them because I am happily married..

3. Runner buckled and went down after I passed him.. Saw him in the rear view mirror.. Looks like he planted his left foot on the curb of the road.. Hope he is okay..

4. Smart ass dude asked me if it was my dad's car.. I told him it was my mom's..

5. Public service worker totally flipped as I was washing it one day.. Couldn't tell what he was doing, but he was pulling up manholes for some reason.. He kept asking questions and constantly saying, "I have never seen that!". About 2 hours later my neighbor asked me if my toilets exploded water like his did.. He said that all his toilets shot a little bit of water out.. He seemed pissed when I started laughing.. I told him that some workers were messing around with the manholes and massive tubing from a truck.. I said it was possible that they got distracted.. Who knows?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

damn near everyone thinks its an M3. I have a ton of respect for those who know the difference!

I remember when I got the car one of my coworkers downplayed it to one of my buddies saying "oh yeah thats nothing special you can get one of those under 20k these days"... I wish!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
I remember when I got the car one of my coworkers downplayed it to one of my buddies saying "oh yeah thats nothing special you can get one of those under 20k these days"... I wish!
If i could have paid less than 20k, it would have made it much more special!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
silver28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i xdrive 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHeavNC View Post
1. Guy in a Tesla asked me "what the hell is that?" at a stoplight..
If a guy in a Tesla is asking you that

I would have said "Ditto!?"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Same as above:
-Everyone thinks its an M3
-People yelling out car windows
-One girl ran me down in the parking lot commenting on how nice the car is, and she stated that "she doesn't even like cars" haha
-Everyone thinks it is a 2012 model
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Does it make anyone else a little nervous when you look in your rear view mirror and notice the driver behind you is taking a picture of your car (and your license plate!) hahahaha
      04-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver28 View Post
If a guy in a Tesla is asking you that

I would have said "Ditto!?"
I told him what it was. He said how he had never seen one, and he thought it was "striking"..(who uses that term anyway) I said "You are the one driving the Tesla!!" He laughed and quietly accelerated away...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Unbelievably, even my 3.0si Roadster has gotten some amazing reactions.
  1. Girl at the burger joint drive-thru to her co-worker "Shelly!!! You have got to come see this awesome car!!!"
  2. Kid on the sidewalk one summer evening, with his family "Dad! Look at the cool car!!!"
  3. Wife of guy who was so busy staring at my wife drive by in the car one Sunday afternoon that he rear ended the car in front of him "you idiot!!"

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
[*]Wife of guy who was so busy staring at my wife drive by in the car one Sunday afternoon that he rear ended the car in front of him "you idiot!!"[/LIST]
Oops! It would be difficult to explain that you were looking at the CAR and not the WOMAN! haha.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
smellyborrelli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I was walking behind a couple around the age of 20 on my way out of a shoprite.. (was parked in the 1st spot)

Guy said "Whoa is that some kind of new Porsche?"

His girl corrected him " Its a BMW dumbass"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I get the normal amount of people pointing and staring when I've driving around in the city, but I have yet to see someone try to take a picture of my car.

One of the weird questions I've gotten once was: What kind of M3 is that?

But the best "what kind of..." I got was from an older gentleman, must have been in his 70's, was totally checking out my car in a parking lot at night time, and he didn't realize I was in it still and we struck up a good conversation. Turns out the guy was a former racer in Germany, raced the old school Mercs and BMW's, imported some of his older cars with him here to SF, and told me that my car was one of the most beautiful pieces of machinery he has seen in a while. He of course then rolled out of the parking lot like a boss in one of those new big AMG sedans with a loud exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

One of the "little things" I like about my job is that the whole side of my office is a 2nd floor window that overlooks the driving circle in front of my company's building and I get to park right on the circle. Therefore, I can see my car from my desk at all times. Today, I saw a black E90 335i pull up behind me on the circle and a guy came out of his car with the sole purpose of checking out my car. He walked around it for a minute or two, then he got out his I-phone and started taking pictures from all angles. I didn't know him but he was a young guy (mid-late 20's) and I think he was an engineer that worked at my company's facility across the street. After getting pictures from virtally every conceivable angle, he got back in his car and drove to the parking lot across the street.

It's nice to know that we have cars that are so unique that even people that know a little about BMWs want to take pictures of them.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Well if your in the south it is good to know that the "GRITS" enjoy the z4mc's...!

Would assume the roadsters as well don't want to start a water boy vs gatorade argument on which is better lol.

Best comment for me to date was at a family get together and an inlaws grandma said "now thats bad ass" to a picture I showed her of it...!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
costa316
Private
Rep
Drives: z4m

Driving through a Tim Hortons Drivethrough the teenager handing me my coffee yells at the other employee's to come to the window. One of the employee's askes.."Wow, what is that?" I glance over and reply "racecar", rev the RPI exhausts and take off. Probably the funniest and most gratifying moment in the M coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa316 View Post
Driving through a Tim Hortons Drivethrough the teenager handing me my coffee yells at the other employee's to come to the window. One of the employee's askes.."Wow, what is that?" I glance over and reply "racecar", rev the RPI exhausts and take off. Probably the funniest and most gratifying moment in the M coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Walked out of Firehouse subs one day to see 2 girls posing in front of my car taking pictures. Wanted to say something whitty but they jumped in their car and took off.

One guy asked me if it was a M6
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I get many stares when pulling in for gas. Never catch people taking pictures of my car. I have cops and highway patrol pull up next to me and pace me for about half mile. The most recent was a motorcycle officer traveling opposite direction keep staring at my car. Don't know if that is a good or bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I was with my wife when I test drove it I was sitting at a light and a group of high school girls were crossing in front of me. Several of them waved and said "nice car." And I knew from then on it would be the perfect, early, mid-life crisis car.

All kidding aside, I get compliments, thumbs up, old and young wanting to chat about it. And it's just a 2.5 Roady.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

At the Portillos drive-thru in Chicago, you pull into the lane and their order takers come to your window, take your money and eventually bring your food, usually while you're creeping along in a line of 15-20 cars. Once, the order taker came over and said "Excuse me - several people in line have asked me to find out what kind of car this is."

While visiting Kentucky, I'm driving my elderly aunt somewhere and she notices that at every light, people nod or give me a thumbs up. "What's going on, how do you know all these people?"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

I was amused when one of my son's 13 year old schoolmates told him my car was "a bit girly". To each their own and he'll either eventually appreciate art or he won't.

Then his Dad drove up in a 15 year old Miata. The schoolmate blushed six shades of crimson and my well-bred son almost lost it and suppressed his laughter until I thought something was going to pop.

I've had so many photos and thumbs-up and waves and smiles that, while appreciated, it has become commonplace.

That's why the Z4MC vs Miata "schoolyard battle for cool-daddy domination" is my favorite (and silliest) experience with the car to date.

Last edited by EenyBear; 04-17-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0