ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

Question Xenon lights dimming over time

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if its my headlights are dimming or if its just the stock xenon headlight output. My IS350's headlights were starting to get dim and flicker on and off, so I replaced them with new ones, and they were so much brighter.

I just picked up my 06 Z4 not too long ago so I'm not sure if its just the stock output of these lights, but I expected a brighter output given they are projectors. My car doesn't have that many miles on it, around 40k, but I'm wondering if any of you have replaced your xenon bulbs and noticed the output increase dramatically. Side by size my lexus outshines my Z4 output wise. Has anyone else felt their light output wasn't that great? Or could they be my bulbs?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCZ4 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if its my headlights are dimming or if its just the stock xenon headlight output. My IS350's headlights were starting to get dim and flicker on and off, so I replaced them with new ones, and they were so much brighter.

I just picked up my 06 Z4 not too long ago so I'm not sure if its just the stock output of these lights, but I expected a brighter output given they are projectors. My car doesn't have that many miles on it, around 40k, but I'm wondering if any of you have replaced your xenon bulbs and noticed the output increase dramatically. Side by size my lexus outshines my Z4 output wise. Has anyone else felt their light output wasn't that great? Or could they be my bulbs?

Thanks
My 06 Xenons got dimmer (actually turned pink) - one side before the other. I replaced both bulbs and it was a great improvement. Mine happened about 1.5 years ago. One contributing factor may be the number of times they cycle off/on. I have a garage, so mine are forever cycling on just before I shut the car off.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

Thats what I've been thinking. Did you get OEM replacements?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

A friend of mine ordered replacement bulbs from a supplier in the UK for his 2007 Z4 3.0si. I believe he said he saved a bundle. I'll ask him for a link and post it once I've heard back.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

IMy friend got them from PowerBulbs in the UK. They have a Canadian site which gives prices in Cnd$. The bulbs were $123 for the pair delivered.

I've seen the car with these bulbs installed and they look fine to me.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
A friend of mine ordered replacement bulbs from a supplier in the UK for his 2007 Z4 3.0si. I believe he said he saved a bundle. I'll ask him for a link and post it once I've heard back.
I bought some Philps bulbs on line from Lightbulbsdirect.com (or similar site). I think mine we're about $150.

Jeff
Appreciate 0