ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
"Stupid Not To" items for exp tank replacement

My expansion tank took a crapper on me this weekend. I was an hour from home and it gave up the ghost while I was backing into the garage, so I guess I can count that blessing.

I was going to put on a new cap, because why not. Got a new drain plug too in case a break it or something. Anything else I should do while I am doing this?? Something on a 90K car that will probably need to be replaced anyway soon? I am all about doing it now instead of later......
      02-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Upper and lower rad hose
Water pump/t'stat
Coolant flush

Basically anything to do with the cooling system except possibly the heater hoses which entails removing the intake manny.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I was considering the hoses - but I figured the water pump would be a more involved process - ok thanks - I'll check into that too.
      02-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd like to chime in. I have a 320,000-mile E90 with an N52 that I've had since new and I have my E86 3.0 with the N52 (that I basically for my second DD when the E90 is on the rack being repaired) . I DIY everything. I did all 9 coolant hoses on the E90 at 236,000 miles when the car was 8 years old. Upon removal and inspection, I found that none of the hoses needed replacing. Modern coolant hoses are pretty much lifetime parts IMO. At 90,000, I doubt any hoses need replacement. Check them of course for cracks and legions just to be sure, but I'd bet they are all in good shape. If your coolant reservoir is toast, I'd get a new cap as well it's only $12 more. BMW coolant hoses are expensive because of all the fancy (stupid) connectors they use...

I checked realOEM.com. I find it unusual that there are no o-rings to replace with the reservoir tank.

Being that your car has M54 in it, it doesn't have the waterpump/T-stat issues the N52 has, so I'd leave them alone. Not sure if dbarton62 was referring to the N52 thinking your car has one. The water pump in your car will start leaking before it fails as all belt driven pumps do. Replace it when it fails.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-18-2017 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd like to chime in. I have a 320,000-mile E90 with an N52 that I've had since new and I have my E86 3.0 with the N52 (that I basically for my second DD when the E90 is on the rack being repaired) . I DIY everything. I did all 9 coolant hoses on the E90 at 236,000 miles when the car was 8 years old. Upon removal and inspection, I found that none of the hoses needed replacing. Modern coolant hoses are pretty much lifetime parts IMO. At 90,000, I doubt any hoses need replacement. Check them of course for cracks and legions just to be sure, but I'd bet they are all in good shape. If your coolant reservoir is toast, I'd get a new cap as well it's only $12 more. BMW coolant hoses are expensive because of all the fancy (stupid) connectors they use...

I checked realOEM.com. I find it unusual that there are no o-rings to replace with the reservoir tank.

Being that your car has M54 in it, it doesn't have the waterpump/T-stat issues the N52 has, so I'd leave them alone. Not sure if dbarton62 was referring to the N52 thinking your car has one. The water pump in your car will start leaking before it fails as all belt driven pumps do. Replace it when it fails.

My 2 cents.

I'll have to disagree about the m54 water pump. Mine took a dump by sticking open at 110k, maybe it was just a fluke? It's very simple to change so while you have it open might as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

My 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I'll have to disagree about the m54 water pump. Mine took a dump by sticking open at 110k, maybe it was just a fluke? It's very simple to change so while you have it open might as well.
Yup,

I knew which version the OP had.
When I did a bunch of work last winter I took the whole front off my M54 and could not believe the corrosion inside the WP. Maybe lack of maintenance in coolant changes, never the less it is a simple and relatively cheap prevent maintenance item compared to the alternative.

My engine had just over 100k miles on it.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Yup,

I knew which version the OP had.
When I did a bunch of work last winter I took the whole front off my M54 and could not believe the corrosion inside the WP. Maybe lack of maintenance in coolant changes, never the less it is a simple and relatively cheap prevent maintenance item compared to the alternative.

My engine had just over 100k miles on it.
My sister's X3 with the M54 would rust the dipstick to the dipstick tube...

No flame intended Brother; it just sounded like the guys over in the E90 Forum who preach WP/T-stat replacements every 50,000 miles.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My sister's X3 with the M54 would rust the dipstick to the dipstick tube...

No flame intended Brother; it just sounded like the guys over in the E90 Forum who preach WP/T-stat replacements every 50,000 miles.
No worries man. No offence taken at all
Just helping a fellow Zlover
Appreciate 0