ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

Right side engine bolts

Greetings,
Since finding out about ZPOST a few years ago I have appreciated the wealth of knowledge that is shared from the members. I had read about the problem of the right side engine bolts becoming loose or breaking. I started keeping a file of information that I could refer to when the day came that I would own a Z4M roadster. I picked one up last October and put it in storage until this past May. I took my car into the dealership today to have them check the engine bolts, strut bar bolts, and the sway bar bushing bolts. I took in a copy of the BMW service bulletin posted by Ron Stygar (thank you Sir!) as proof of a potential problem. The mechanic called me into the shop and said I was "lucky I had him check". He found the front two bolts completely off. Many thanks to those members that share their knowledge and expertise!! BTW... I ordered the 10.9 BMW MotorSport replacement bolts. When I take my car back in for Inspection I, I will have them replace the old bolts with 10.9's. Many thanks guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Great story! This is how it's supposed to work--I'm glad the information and willingness to share it here helped you out!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I replaced mine with MotorSport replacement bolts when I was under there replacing my leaking Constant Pressure Valve.
Since one has to disassemble the same things to get to each, when you take it in next you may want to get ahead of the game and have them replace the CPV as well.
Mine started leaking just shy of 7 years old and 78k miles.
The part is cheap, and since they're already doing most of the labor, bundle and save!

I still have to replace my left side bolts when I get a reason to pull the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG View Post
I will have them replace the old bolts with 10.9's
Nord-lock them while you're there! That way you're guaranteed they'll never back out again. See my mod thread for part numbers.
      06-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

No need to replace the entire CPV, just replace the brittle O-Ring that is leaking.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=369406
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I did use his replacement O-rings, but as for the valve, it's cheap and it does have a spring in it that's had a good run after 7 years and nearly 80k miles.
Appreciate 0