ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Knoxes
Private
Rep
Drives: E86

Sudden loss of power

I've had this car since October and I'm generally pretty happy with it. 2007 E86 with ~56K. But I've had it lose power twice now and I'm looking for answers.

Both times, it happened around 40mph, in 4th gear with steady throttle. The loss was very quick - less than a second - but noticeable, like someone pulled the power plug. Interestingly, I didn't notice any loss in the electrical system - just in the engine.

Also, I've noticed it surging very lightly on the freeway - like a fuel flow or timing issue.

In any gear, it revs to ~3K well enough, but absolutely explodes after 3K. Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
Interestingly, I didn't notice any loss in the electrical system - just in the engine.
What do you mean and how do you know?

Sounds electrical (spark plugs, distributor) or fuel pump or filter.

Similar Story: Last year my engine went limp on the freeway. Felt like a few cylinders were dead. I pulled off, started the car again, and set off. Happened again 30 seconds later, so I drove cautiously the extra few miles to my house. Had it towed to the shop. They checked to make sure all electrical connections to the cylinders and distributor were tight. Never happened again.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Knoxes
Private
Rep

I didn't notice anything with the dash or headlights when it happened.

So, you are right, it very well could have been an electrical issue in the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Another possible culprit for the n52 si could be the disa valves. These guys open and close at specific rpm ranges to control air flow. If one didn't open/close at the right time, you may feel some weird power fluctuations, since the air/fuel mix will be off from the expected.

That said, try to pull the codes if you can- there might be a misfire/cylinder code stuck in the brain that might indicate a problem.

Also fuel- fresh fuel, right? If the car was sitting for a while, you may have stale fuel which can also cause weird issues.

-gc
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Can you pull the codes with a standard OBD2 reader?

Fuel should be fine - it sits for a week sometimes, but never more than that.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Was it a stumble you felt or a complete cut of power?

Possibly MAF if it was a stumble
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Possibly MAF if it was a stumble
+1 My VW GTI had this issue.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Knoxes
Private
Rep

It was a complete loss, not a stumble. Like no electrical at all. I guess it could have been a misfire, but it felt like 2-3 cylinders in a row with one misfire each. Not like a steady misfire in one cylinder.

I think the surging could be a MAF issue. That makes sense. It only happens under steady throttle.

Since I'm new to this car I'm trying to get up to speed on the typical issues. Is the MAF a regular offender?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Yes and it when it suddenly sorts itself out you really get a push in the backside.
Ask me how it feels on a supercharged car with a MAF going bad
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Just bumping this to report that I finally cleaned out the VANOS solenoids and it seems to have cleared everything up. Installed new seals when I did it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
an3ony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
Just bumping this to report that I finally cleaned out the VANOS solenoids and it seems to have cleared everything up. Installed new seals when I did it.
THANKS for the follow up. I've noticed something somewhat similar on my M, it feels like a power flutter, only for a split second and no predictable circumstances. I'm going to take it to my normal repair place and have the codes pulled.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3ony View Post
THANKS for the follow up. I've noticed something somewhat similar on my M, it feels like a power flutter, only for a split second and no predictable circumstances. I'm going to take it to my normal repair place and have the codes pulled.
I posted about what I think are two different issues above. The second one sounds like what you're experiencing. To be more explicit, it feels like a slight surging - or more accurately, that it's not quite able to accelerate. It only happened with light or no throttle pressure (cruising on the freeway, for example). If you really put your foot down, it took off just fine. And it idled fine, too. But under that neutral throttle - it just felt like it was being starved of something...

That's what the clean solenoids fixed.

The complete loss of power may have been related, but I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
trevor
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 and 2001 BMW 515i

You will actually find your car has multiple issues, I would start with a standard oil change as bad oil is a rare contributor and it could be too thick for higher speeds, use 0W-XX and ask them to look out for the issue as part of the 27 point inspections (shouldn't cost extra since it is included as part of oil change).

I doubt it is the battery as the car uses the battery to start, not continue running.
Appreciate 0