ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Talking BMW Carbon intake kit install

This will be the build log for my BMW CSL style carbon intake install for my Z4M. The Highs, the lows..

It started today after I got home and there were 2 slips to pick stuff up from the post office. (yep here in Dubai, we don't have personal at your house mailboxes.)

Super exited, as initially I thought I got had by the guy selling the intake, and after about 2 weeks of stalling, he finally sent me the intake.. Couldent be happier, the thing is spanking new, finished in Gloss.. Beautiful weave..

manifolds are 15mm.

Intake *cough* hole is 150mm... These photos don't do this intake justice, this thing really is MASSIVE.

and also last week arrived this other stuff.. My brother ordered the stuff in Holland (he drives an X3), as it was more than 50% cheaper than here in DXB. (thx Skip)

CSL Breather hose (its longer than our Z4m one) and CSL temp sensor.. required for the Alpha N.

I initially looked at the CSL style box for Evolve, and also their Tune, however the price for their box is huge, but to their credit, their box is a beautiful work of art. No doubt about that. The only issue I had with going Evolves way was their Tune. No Heel Toe, for me is a no go, even though I don't track the car much, nor can I drive to save my life.. but I wouldn't want something in my car that would hinder the drivability of the car itself.

So I went a completely different way, I Bought the box.. and then I went on a search for a tune..

turns out I bought some genius from Randy at
Randy answered all of my questions sometimes within the space of about 10 minutes, but none took longer than a day to get back to me. Did me a nice deal too, pretty good guy to talk to via email.

The Tune comes with an initial setup and tune, and then a re-tune for lateron if you add something else to the car. tune comes specifically tailored to your car depending on the setup your running, cams, cans, pipes and or intakes and the fuel quality in your area.

Not really sure how the ram piping from the air intake in the front bumper will go, so in the meantime, while I snif out how that is going to work, ive bought a 150mm intake cone filter. So the car can still run without crap lots of sand going in the intake..

Should be here in about a week.. Not really too sure how long the car will be off the road for during the install, but just trying to sort most issues before I even start on the build..

any advice, good or otherwise is ofcourse always welcome, and would in fact be appreciated. anything that comes to mind that may have slipped mine..

On reserve atm with my job, so working time for the car will be varied.. a lot.. that and balancing the car with playing with the kids. <-- pretty much takes preference.

Question for someone that knows.. on the Z4M air box, what is the diameter of the 6 manifold holes .. just hoping they are the same size so i won't need an adaptor kit.. Id rather know if i need an adaptor so i can order it now, instead of stalling the build and finding out when the car is apart.

Currently brainstorming about the CSL intake snorkel.. (which is also on the list for this kit I am putting together..) and how the induction filter would work.. in regards to laminar airflow and fluid dynamics..

If I can get this to work, that would put the hardware for this mod, under 1500US.. add a tune of your choose, and your looking at 2500US~ or so.. which is about half the price of the nearest CSL type intake install. <-- considering that the CSL BMW intake by itself is around 4.5K, I would say this becomes pretty interesting for a bunch of people. The Karbonius Composites Group buy had the intake alone for 2000, and then you have to add a bunch of other hardware that adds up to above 4KUS including a tune. Granted its nicer and plug and play without having to stuff around a little.

Just founds some pics on the turner site, with said Carbon box.. though its no longer available from them. My kit however will not have the turner motorsports snorkel, but the CSL type intake snorkel, minus the butterfly valve.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag..._plenum_lg.jpg

8/05/15..
Finally picked up the parcel from , that Randy had passed onto some friends for me to pick up at the Movenpick in DXB. Bloody good show.
and

2 Cool T-shirts, one for the old man, and one for Jackson, my little guy. and a little box of magic. Thanks Randy, even included a Temp Probe kit.

12/05/15
Doing some serious re-thinking on this airbox. Have come to the conclusion that the cone foam filter will not do in regards to the fact that we have lots of /small/ sand particles here in Dubai, so this project /WILL/ require a proper filter....

So bought (photo credit where credit is due, mine is in the mail)...

So that will come to ask... how is this filter gonna work with said airbox?

2 options, as far as I can see...

1. Ditch this carbon airbox and buy a proper CSL box... (that would be the simple and easy way out)
2. Sit down, when the BMC filter comes in, have a very good look as to how/where this filter would sit inside this box ala CSL box and then start thinking about where to cut box open....

I would be okay in doing this, and then using some fibreglass resin to make a seat for the BMC filter and figuring out a mechanism for opening and closing the airbox. (I am pretty handy with fibreglass and resin, used to help my brother make surfboards back in the mid 80's)

The CSL pics below are to help me picture how this will work in my mind.

Option 2 (from now called the /CUT/ option, will ofcourse depend upon how many hours will go into cutting, and amending the box.. If this number comes out to great, then stuff it, I will admit defeat and just buy the proper CSL box.. but the project wont be as interesting then...

So, what do you all think... ??

Last edited by Vanne; 05-11-2015 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

**RESERVED**
      05-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Very nice Vanne!!!!
*subscribed for the rest of the story
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Sweet!
      05-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

Looks so goood
Cant wait to see pics install in ur Z and hopefully some videos xD
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Congrats! Looking forward to the progress!!
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

what a great looking piece, IMO coolest mod for our cars. Agreed that no heel-toe is a deal breaker!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Mate, really. I am so jealous! If it works I'm going to bill you for needing to do this
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:11 AM   #9
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Vanne, I would look at running an intake snorkel into the wheel well. There are some pretty popular ram air intakes for Audis/VWs with longitudinally mounted 1.8Ts, and they typically run one snorkel to the wheel well and one to the lower bumper inlet. I had this setup on my TT, using a Modshack TTDA (google it).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Looks awesome! who is the manufacturer of the box?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Go Vanne!!!

Many thanks for documenting this, too.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #12
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Awesome, subscribed for updates!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #13
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

F360C, not completely sure who the manufacture is mate,but they are made to spec, they are available for sale with quite a few diff BMW after parts vendors, but they are very bloody pricey.. Mine shipped shipped from Honkers..