ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Felt Lined First Aid Boxes

I'm not the first one to do this but I have't found any pictures or threads, so I figured I'd share.

I initially bought a whole mess of felt (like $0.25 a sheet) and was going to try to somehow cut them all to fit inside perfectly and line the whole thing. I'm now thinking that I'll compromise and do this in a much simpler way. Below are pictures of the felt I ordered, and initial fitment. I think I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow and then set them in with spray adhesive.

You can't tell from the shots but there is a natural hump in the box at the back. The felt in the back was cut to sit in it. Last shot shows roughly what it will look like when peeking in from above the seat.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
nice, been thinking about doing something similar but covering all the up the sides. I was thinking of using something more like alcantara but haven't found the right texture material yet

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I did go the route of very carefully cutting them and covering the entire inside (even the top). There's a few pictures in my mod thread storage aid boxes. You can see how I covered the front by using small pieces.
      10-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0
nice, been thinking about doing something similar but covering all the up the sides. I was thinking of using something more like alcantara but haven't found the right texture material yet
Here's what I used. You can see how it compares with the trunk fabric. I'm very happy with it. Looks very "Automotive".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta
I did go the route of very carefully cutting them and covering the entire inside (even the top). There's a few pictures in my mod thread storage aid boxes. You can see how I covered the front by using small pieces.
Those look amazing. Especially on the door. That's the part that started to discourage me. Any other pictures or details on how you cut to everything to fit?

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I did the felt thing many years ago since these boxes are pretty hollow sounding. I even ran it in one piece across the hinge to help strengthen it. I did all inside surfaces including the sides and top. Much more quiet after the felt. I did one box for each seat. These cars have such little storage, every little bit helps.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

What did you guys use to get fitment right? I'm just winging it and it's not very scientific and is coming out sloppy. I think I'm going to get a fabric pen so I can measure and mark it off.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
What did you guys use to get fitment right? I'm just winging it and it's not very scientific and is coming out sloppy. I think I'm going to get a fabric pen so I can measure and mark it off.
I just used a tape measure to measure the inside dimensions, then marked the material with white chalk and cut a little oversize. Then trial fit, trim a little until it fit good. Pretty simple actually, it's not like anyone will really see how shitty it looks under your seat Though mine looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I used the self-adhesive felt. It has a thick paper backing that peels off so I just cut larger than necessary pieces, pressed them into place and then cut outside of the crease marks. I kept trimming off more and more of the edges until the pieces fit perfectly. I used one piece for the bottom, one for the top, two for the sides and a bunch of little pieces for the door.

I have two boxes, so after I had trimmed all the pieces for the first box and had them fitting perfectly, I peeled off the backing and used the backing as templates for the second box.

Appreciate 0