ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #23
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
It's not that the Z4 can't handle the winter with the proper setup (snow tires), it's just that those of us with another vehicle available don't want to risk our Z4.

Haha yep, the salt is the reason I won't even take mine out on the warm days we're expecting this week.

Absolutely! In addition to the general damage that salt will do to the metal parts of the car (undercarriage and body), imagine the devestation the stuff could do if it somehow got into the intricate power top mechanism, perhaps through salty slush and water being splashed or sprayed from another car. Or even just exposing the material of the convertible top to salt.

Yikes! I love my car too much to risk that!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #24
reRESERVEDMD
oO (||||) (||||) Oo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
77 here yesterday.

Headed up into the hills and shot a few pics of the new Mini.

You know that saying this to someone living in Chicago can get u in huuuge trouble? :P

05 BMW Z4 Space Gray/Dream Red/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/M seats/F1 35%/ZHP/Ultimate Pedals/Xenesis/
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 01:27 AM   #25
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Absolutely! In addition to the general damage that salt will do to the metal parts of the car (undercarriage and body), imagine the devestation the stuff could do if it somehow got into the intricate power top mechanism, perhaps through salty slush and water being splashed or sprayed from another car. Or even just exposing the material of the convertible top to salt.

Yikes! I love my car too much to risk that!
You may find more damage to your top mechanism from inactivity, than using the car in the winter. There isn't any sign of dirt, salt or debris down in the top storage area after two and a half winters of use, I check each spring to make sure the drains are clear. There hasn't been a winter day here in Calgary where I haven't been able to use the car since I bought it. I normally manage several top-down trips per month in the winter when we have a good Chinook to give decent temperatures.

Hopefully you have stored your car with fresh oil, removed the spark plugs and sprayed fogging fluid into the cylinders, put fuel stabiliser in the fuel tank if it hasn't been drained and put it on a battery tender in a temperature stabilised garage with low humidity. If not you may have more corrosion and deterioration issues than driving it in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD View Post
You know that saying this to someone living in Chicago can get u in huuuge trouble? :P
I've been driving mine the past few days, as it's been decent out. We're supposed to get some snow again on Wednesday, so I'll likely wash her and put her away again on Tuesday. Back to the Smart again...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #27
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
You may find more damage to your top mechanism from inactivity, than using the car in the winter. There isn't any sign of dirt, salt or debris down in the top storage area after two and a half winters of use, I check each spring to make sure the drains are clear. There hasn't been a winter day here in Calgary where I haven't been able to use the car since I bought it. I normally manage several top-down trips per month in the winter when we have a good Chinook to give decent temperatures.

Hopefully you have stored your car with fresh oil, removed the spark plugs and sprayed fogging fluid into the cylinders, put fuel stabiliser in the fuel tank if it hasn't been drained and put it on a battery tender in a temperature stabilised garage with low humidity. If not you may have more corrosion and deterioration issues than driving it in the winter.

That may be practical in Calgary, but not on the Atlantic coast, specifically St. John's. The City applies salt to the streets here at rates that defy comprehension. That, combined with the frequent damp breeezes off the salty Atlantic ocean make for a winter corrosion nightmare. Cars do not wear out here; they rust apart from use in the highly corrosive winter environment. I've seen many a nice car reduced to junk. Not a pretty sight let me tell you.

I have my car stored at a local garage which offers a winter storage service. Every 3 to 4 weeks, they start the cars and move them a bit to prevent tire flat spots. For that reason, fogging fluid, fuel stabiliser, and fresh oil are not needed. The car is on a battery tender though, and the tires have an extra 3 or 4 pounds pressure added. This chap specializes in European cars. He has been winter-storing cars for 30 years and has never encountered a problem. So, my Z4 will be well rested, corrosion free and ready to go as soon as Spring arrives!

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #28
reRESERVEDMD
oO (||||) (||||) Oo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I've been driving mine the past few days, as it's been decent out. We're supposed to get some snow again on Wednesday, so I'll likely wash her and put her away again on Tuesday. Back to the Smart again...
Hahaa I drive mine all the time. LM60's 255 rear 225 front and during the last blizzard I was overtaking SUV's on the way to court. Those cars are mean to be driven and so far I'm beating the hell out of mine :P

05 BMW Z4 Space Gray/Dream Red/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/M seats/F1 35%/ZHP/Ultimate Pedals/Xenesis/
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #29
jsoltan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe, 13 328i

Quote:
Hahaa I drive mine all the time. LM60's 255 rear 225 front and during the last blizzard I was overtaking SUV's on the way to court. Those cars are mean to be driven and so far I'm beating the hell out of mine :P

Mine is a daily driver with 65K since Nov. '07. Use Dunlop M3 snows in the winter and have always have had good traction with DSC off on snow or ice. Switching to new Dunlop Direzza Star Specs (separate set of wheels-CSL) for drive to the Daytona 24 next week. I maintain the car above BMW specs and have had nearly zero issues. These cars are meant to be driven. I forgot to mention the 6 weekends of HPDE's. Keep a good coat of Zymol on it and it always looks good. Yes, the front needs new paint scheduled for this summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #30
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Thumbs up

Finally got out today for about an hour. Got my speed fix. The Z4 fired right up and ran fine.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #31
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Took mine out a few days ago too with the weather warming,

Felt great, First time Ive driven it this year,
had a little run in with an Aston Martin, We both enjoyed that and the mods on my car was working very well,

Its a fast little bugger and you forget that when you don't drive it all the time,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #32
ZEDMFOUR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Got to get it out today. Reset the throttle adaption and rocketed off. All winter Ive been bitching about payments and not driving it. Well ten minutes in that thing makes you forget all about it. Wow I love this car. Forgot what it's like just cruising about 100 down the interstate. Oh and the on ramps(curvy ones)

2006 BMW M ROADSTER-ZECKHAUSEN CDV-POWERCHIP TUNE-BLACK GRILLES
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #33
reRESERVEDMD
oO (||||) (||||) Oo
United_States
Rep

I kinda want to find some deserted airport or that sort of thing here around Chicago and West Suburbs perhaps to stretch my car legs. I wanna see how fast it can go in a safe environment. I'm seriously done with the tickets!

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #34
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

My Z4-ing lately has bee restricted to the virtual world courtesy of my son's Play Station 2 and Gran Turismo 4. It has a number of BMWs you can drive, including a 2003 Z4 3.0i. You can select the color, and in single player mode, drive top up or top down.

I wonder are there any other games with the Z4?

Come on Spring!

Huzz

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #35
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
I kinda want to find some deserted airport or that sort of thing here around Chicago and West Suburbs perhaps to stretch my car legs. I wanna see how fast it can go in a safe environment. I'm seriously done with the tickets!
There's a wide, smooth road near me that's about 3 miles end to end and virtually nothing on the sides for a mile in either direction. Other than an airplane, there's no way for the Polizei to clock you. It's also far enough outside of town for the townie cops to not bother with it.

Of course I'd never, ever, ever, even *think* about speeding. I'm just sayin'.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #36
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
My Z4-ing lately has bee restricted to the virtual world courtesy of my son's Play Station 2 and Gran Turismo 4. It has a number of BMWs you can drive, including a 2003 Z4 3.0i. You can select the color, and in single player mode, drive top up or top down.

I wonder are there any other games with the Z4?

Come on Spring!

Huzz
Not many with the Z4 but the Z4M has been in a few NeedforSpeed games and is my favorite car in Dirt 2, naturally.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #37
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Not many with the Z4 but the Z4M has been in a few NeedforSpeed games and is my favorite car in Dirt 2, naturally.
Close enough for me!! Thanks - I'll have to hunt up a PS2 copy!!

Appreciate 0