ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.2

Unhappy z4 Rattle

Hi all.

I have come across a strange sound over the past few weeks. let me start from the beginning, may be a little long winded but this is the only way I can describe how the sound come about.

Right....

About 4 months ago I booked the car into my local mechanic to change my brake pad sensors as they were playing up. Job done.

Aprox a month or two later I have this strange rattle sound. When I am in 1st gear and creep forward there is a rattle sound, same applies when reversing slowly, as is if there is a loose bolt. But this only happens when the car is WARM

At first I thought this could be brake related a loose clip perhaps. But the other day after an hour’s drive I still have this nose, but I now hear the noise if I start the car up straight after a long drive I hear a rattle noise from the engine bay???????????

Could the noise be any of the following?

- Brake shims.
- Loose Heat shield under the car by the engine bay (If there is such a thing).
- Timing belt issue (Does sound a bit ticky, but wouldn't this noise be heard even when cold)
- Loose bolt......somewhere lol.

Any possible suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
cabro
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 SDrive35is

I have the exact same noise except mine is mostly when the car is cold. Also happens when the car is creeping in first gear.

I thought it was coming from the engine bay as well but after taking my mechanic for a test drive hethinks it's coming from behind the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

mmm a possibility however definitely seems more the engine bay....
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I booked the car into the mechanic and still no joy he couldn't find the rattle. I believe he did not get the car up to temperature. It seems to be getting worse. You can really here the rattle if I find the biting point of the car, as if this causes the vibration. I am not sure if this makes a difference, but when I turn the ignition off there is a a few second delay and then a shush sound for a second and then silence, as if there is a dump of air???? is this part of the problem? My mechanic seems to think this is fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
SSG S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN Z4

I believe the "shush" is normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
smidley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

I'm pretty sure I have the same problem and have actually found the source of the sound to be the water pump. I had a leak in my water pump and replaced it (see herehttp://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300397)

I posted about this sound a while back http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135090

For about a month after replacing the pump, the sound went away and I had no leaks, but not both are back for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's bloody annoying. We have had some snow over here recently and you can now here the noise in the cold???? I only here the noise once I have been driving for a while, to get the temperature up to normal. I will try and video the noise or get hold of a sound bite. All I want to do it get under the car and try and tighten every bolt possible, but that is impossible as I have no jack.bay. And a mechanic would just laugh in my face if I asked him to do that.....as well as charge me fortune....I thought My Alfa Romeo was bad with rattles!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Its the Vanos Rattle. It's also very common among E46 3 series.

Just google "Vanos Rattle" or go to the link below.

http://www.beisansystems.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
smidley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Know of any good guides for doing this Vanos replacement? I found one that looks pretty promising. http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidley View Post
Know of any good guides for doing this Vanos replacement? I found one that looks pretty promising. http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
smidley, After reading through this I think it's a good find and well Documented... Thanks for Posting the Link.

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
docwhump
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster

I recommend Dr. Vanos. Google it and email him. He knows his vanos and has great guides and products.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Chris04Z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster 3.0i

dunno if u guys found the answer to this but i think you may want to pull of the rear hubs and look at the e-brake assembly.... i had mine break off into little pieces inside the wheel hub and would clank around almost exactly like how you described.... just fyi.