ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

New to me 07 M Coupe!

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of an e86 M Coupe …I've wanted to own one for ages, and I finally had the opportunity to take ownership of a clean example. This is my 6th BMW (after a 135i, a 1M, 2 e46 M3's, and an e36 M Coupe) and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite cars.

I have a few questions about the car that maybe someone could answer for me. For a 7-year-old car, the car is flawless, but obviously, certain things will come with age, regardless of care.

1) I noticed that the door mirrors are starting to look a bit polarized towards the bottom - is this an indication that the auto dimming feature is broken and the fluid is about to start leaking? Would the fix be changing the mirrors? Has anyone tackled this job before?

2) Is there a way to ensure that the navi doesn't open up and turn on every time I start up my car? More often than not I know where I'm going, and I already have my radio stations preset, so I really don't need the screen to pop open every single time.

3) The cowl cover (plastic cover under the wipers) has solidified and started chipping. I already have the replacement piece. How easy is it to swap? Also, I've noticed that the wiper arms themselves are looking a big aged/rough. Is there a way to restore these to a gloss black, or is paint the only option?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice! Happy motoring!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Congrats on the purchase! What made you get rid of the 1M (unless you now have both)?

1) I think there are threads about this issue. If it does need to be replaced its pretty easy to remove the mirror portion. DIY write up here, too somewhere. Edit: I think this is the one I used to install my Tekarbon covers: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=28

2) I don't have nav in my M but my 3.0si had it. I'm pretty sure there was a way to make it stay down - one of the buttons next to it? I don't quite remember. Maybe if you keep pushing the down adjustment button next to it that adjusts the tilt it'll just go all the way down.

3) Never done it so I can't say.

Good luck!
      02-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I can answer #3
Take a look at the back side of your new cowl cover and there should be white or black clips that simply push into holes in the cowl sheet metal.
To remove the old one insert a flat blade screwdriver or putty knife in the area where the clips would be and pry up .Again use the new one as a reference to locate the plugs.

Good Luck and don't forget the customary pics of the new ride.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

^^^That's way easier than I thought it would be. No need to remove wiper arms or anything?
      02-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

why get rid of 1m? just curious
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
For #2 - The buttons to the right of the Navi screen will control its up/down. The button toward the windshield is up. The thing I hate is that if you have the screen down, any button you touch will cause it to pop back up I wished there was a way to make it remain in the open position all the time instead of closing every power down.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
^^^That's way easier than I thought it would be. No need to remove wiper arms or anything?
You do have to remove the wiper arms, which can be a bit of a faff.
Some have been able to just rock them off, but it's a tapered spline, so they might be on there pretty good.
I used a small gear puller on mine, and I had to hack out the grommets to clear the hooks of the puller.
New part comes with grommets installed, so they were scrap anyway.

I think I saw some wiper pullers at Griot's Garage, but I would hate to buy something and use it maybe once.

While you're at it, get the piece that goes around the rest of the windshield.
It's about $25-$30 and just snaps into place.
If the cowl cover's cracking, that piece will soon do the same.

OH: Use painter's tape on your windshield to mark the position of the wiper arms before you pull them.
Much to my surprise, the splines are a very fine pitch and there's no keying.
      02-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I stand corrected.
Yes wiper arms need to come off, puller as Stickmon says.

There are also a couple of plastic push in fasteners into the top of the firewall that need to be removed.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you for all the replies folks, I'm looking to tackle this diy sometime this week or next week. I'm loving the car...what a machine!

For those who asked, I sold the 1M for two reasons. Reason #1 is called a Porsche 911 Carrera S (which I have sold as well), and reason #2 was that I was looking for a BMW with more pedigree. The 1M is a special and phenomenal car, sometimes I wonder if I should have kept it; that said, my favorite car so far has been the 911 C2S, and the z4 M Coupe is coming in at second.

Speaking of the navi, I know I can close it with a button after I start the car, but every time I select something (like a radio station) it pops back up. I was wondering if there is a way to tell the car "hey, when I start you up, leave the navi closed unless I press the button to open it up."

Thanks again, I purchased and picked up the car yesterday, so I don't have many pictures, but I'll attach 1 for now...with proper ones to follow later
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Speaking of the navi...I was wondering if there is a way to tell the car "hey, when I start you up, leave the navi closed unless I press the button to open it up."
Oh, I see. Sorry, to be honest, I never really noticed the screen that much in my previous car so I never tried to get it to go down semipermanently. That would be convenient though. Hope someone finds an answer for you.
      02-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Does this baby like to dance, or do I need better tires? lol VERY tail happy around corners and I'm loving it!

Two more questions:

1) all 3 ///M emblems are fading. I corrected this on my z3 M Coupe by replacing just the stickers on the emblems, made by Never Done. I've emailed them asking if they make the stickers for the z4 M, but no response yet. Does anyone know if they do, or will I need to get new emblems at the dealer?

2) I noticed that there is a BMW carbon fiber spoiler than I'm really digging. A replica is made by an aftermarket company (tekarbon I think?)...does anyone have experience with any of these pieces? In the past I've had great experiences with OEM carbon fiber pieces and terrible experiences with aftermarket carbon fiber. All input will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm very picky, so I care about the fit, finish, the way the weave looks, etc.

Happy Friday! Can't wait to get off work and go driving!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

2) I have the Tekarbon mirrors and they're nice but not top notch. Others have gotten very nice ones and some of us not so much. I do have the BMW spoiler and it is excellent quality. So, I'm not saying you'll receive a subpar Tekarbon one but if you're a perfectionist spending the extra money on the BMW one might be worth it.
      02-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

I just bought a Tekcarbon rear spoiler. I'd say it's 90%. I haven't mounted it yet, there is one small area/sharp edge about an inch long that's not perfect, unfortunately it's on the rear facing outward so it's most noticeable. However I doubt anyone but me would even notice the blemish. Certainly not from more than 5 feet away.

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Good to know, folks! I've had fitment issues as well as fading issues due to cheap manufacturing processes. So I think I'll opt to spend a bit more and go with the real thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Does this baby like to dance, or do I need better tires? lol VERY tail happy around corners and I'm loving it!

Two more questions:

1) all 3 ///M emblems are fading. <snip>
Yes, very tail happy.

Here's the solution to faded ///Ms. See posts #6 and #8.
      02-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #16
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

The stickers from Tyler at never done are awesome! I've got his first ever set for the z4 coupe on mine and fit is great. Tyler is a great guy and a bonus to our community. Just email him and ask him. He does have them, just not listed yet.

Also congrats on your car, looks like you got the BEST color ; D

The nav screen will stay down, not sure how or what, but mine now stays down unless I open it. I also have my radio station preset, and no need for the stupid mk4 gps that it houses.

Pics inside of the coupe would be nice too
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Congratulations! The OEM spoiler holds up very well. Six years on ours and still looks great.

Tail happy? Just a bit.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #18
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Yes, very tail happy.

Here's the solution to faded ///Ms. See posts #6 and #8.
Thank you sir…I'm gonna try to get the Never Done ones…I've used them in the past and their quality is second to none. I just didn't know they started making them for the e85/86 cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
The stickers from Tyler at never done are awesome! I've got his first ever set for the z4 coupe on mine and fit is great. Tyler is a great guy and a bonus to our community. Just email him and ask him. He does have them, just not listed yet.

Also congrats on your car, looks like you got the BEST color ; D

The nav screen will stay down, not sure how or what, but mine now stays down unless I open it. I also have my radio station preset, and no need for the stupid mk4 gps that it houses.

Pics inside of the coupe would be nice too
Thank you! I sent him an email days ago and never received any response. I'll try to contact them through the site!

By the way, everyone knows that the Imola red adds 20hp to the car…that;s why I picked it :P … I'll try to get some better pictures in the next few days.

I noticed that my nav now stays down, unless I try to change radio stations, then it pops up…hmmm…who knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Congratulations! The OEM spoiler holds up very well. Six years on ours and still looks great.

Tail happy? Just a bit.

Enjoy!
Thank you…I think I'll go OEM!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #19
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
I noticed that my nav now stays down, unless I try to change radio stations, then it pops up…hmmm…who knows!
That's what I was trying to tell you in post#6 above
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Does anyone know where I can get an OEM carbon fiber spoiler? I can't find one to save my life and my local dealer can't locate one either. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0