ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #89
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Just came back from a DE at Mosport. Great two days. Holding my own agains't Mustang Boss 302s, Shelby GT500s and modified Corvettes.

I was low on brake fluid. I use Gulf Competition RF1000 fully synthetic. So I couldn't mix anything else with it. So I just managed by taking some breaks from time to time.

I was running my Dunlops at 45 lbs pressure when hot. They were performing quite well. I now have 13 track days on these tires.

Not sure where and when am I going out again.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #90
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Nice, I just ordered my Dunlops and will be putting them on tomorrow. I have an event coming up in 3 weeks, can't wait.
      09-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #91
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Nice, I just ordered my Dunlops and will be putting them on tomorrow. I have an event coming up in 3 weeks, can't wait.
ooooo! what size are they?
      09-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #92
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.0si View Post
ooooo! what size are they?
I went with 235 all 4 lol. I would've tried my luck on 255 on normal street tires but seeing how the shoulders are so wide on these, I went smaller. I'll take pics this weekend =)
      09-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #93
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Little follow-up... I have decided on two things.
First as of next season I will go get my Instructors certificate/license ... I will most probably do this with BMW CC
Secondly, the trailer dilemma. Either my car is being carried or my car is pulling...
Answer: None.

I won't go any of these routes in 2012. I will just enjoy the car with the great Dirrezzas as I have done before.
Wow Tony, instructor, that's great!

Quote:
Just came back from a DE at Mosport. Great two days. Holding my own agains't Mustang Boss 302s, Shelby GT500s and modified Corvettes.

I was low on brake fluid. I use Gulf Competition RF1000 fully synthetic. So I couldn't mix anything else with it. So I just managed by taking some breaks from time to time.

I was running my Dunlops at 45 lbs pressure when hot. They were performing quite well. I now have 13 track days on these tires.

Not sure where and when am I going out again.
First, good representation for the Z4 buddy!

The highest I've run hot is 42 lbs, and I've been shooting for about 39/38 lbs F/R hot. I didn't notice the tires getting greasy at 42 PSI, so I guess I could have tried a few more PSI.

You seem to be getting really good wear on them and have a lot of experience. What's your opinion of the 45 lbs hot vs. lower pressures (say 38 hot)? How does the car handle, impressions? I might start off with a bit more PSI cold next time and target a higher pressure hot based on your feedback--I guess I was under the impression 45 hot was "too high".
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #94
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

It was my 3rd and 4th days at Mosport, so not too much experience at this track.
I got to 45lbs by accident since I went out in my 1st session without checking my pressures when cold.
So all I did was take out 1.5 lbs but at the end of the next session, and since my speed kept progressing, pressure came up still at 45 again.
Since the car was acting normal, I wasn't prepared to change it.

Next track event, I should do a session at 45 hot and follow-up with one at 41 and see the difference.

I was also surprised and worried when I saw 45.5 on my pressure tool. I went and borrowed a more precise one from someone else and it showed the same result.
I also go from 38 to 41 ordinarily.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #95
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

So 2012 is here... And I have a few questions and thoughts.

First thing : tires
I have ordered a set of Nitto NT01 R-Comps. in 245 40 18 and 275 35 18
They will be used a little bit later in the season.
I wil use them when my almost done set of Dunlops are toast.
I will be alternating from NT01 and a new set of Dunlops this year... depending on the actual weather. I will also have someone graciously bring those R-Comps to the tracks for me.

Now brakes... My HP+ are toast. I have HT10 new to install. I don't plan using the car as a daily driver anymore... should I install HT10 and keep them on between track days, and possibly be annoyed with the brake noise on the limited driving to and from the track and the occasional Sunday drive???

And if I do buy a set a street pads, what should I buy?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #96
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Now brakes... My HP+ are toast. I have HT10 new to install. I don't plan using the car as a daily driver anymore... should I install HT10 and keep them on between track days, and possibly be annoyed with the brake noise on the limited driving to and from the track and the occasional Sunday drive???

And if I do buy a set a street pads, what should I buy?
If you're going to use HT10s might as well just use DTC-60s or DTC-70s. They're much more forgiving on the rotor and provide just as much fade resistance and brake torque, if not more. And DTC-60 is almost bearable on the street.

Hawk HPS for street to keep the material in the same "family."
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #97
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

I will take your suggestion for the next set since I already have HT10s ...

So I have just installed them all by myself... I have a couple of days to test them before my first event of 2012, the 5th and 6th of May at Calabogie.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #98
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

So here is my recap of the event held 2 weeks ago at Calabogie

It was a race academy. So things were a bit different from lapping days or Club schools (ADS or HPDE).

After an evening of theory classes, we were ready for track sessions on Saturday morning. Temperature was great.

7 sessions of 30 minutes per day for 2 days. So I was very tired at the end.
Every session they added some different things.

The school doesn't use a point by system so you need to respect your surroundings.

Group exercises (controlled passing)
passing on one straight on one side only
passing in every long straight
passing either side on long straights
passing on every straight as small as it may appear

They were also adding all kinds of flags to test our knowledge of them. They dropped stuff on the track for us to avoid, they sent emergency vehicles so we had to compose with them as if we were in a race situation. They sent the pace car also so we knew when to pass it or when to get back in formation behind it.

Last session of the 2nd day, we did a mock rolling start with pace car and then they gave us a yellow for a short bit on the lap (to make sure everyone settles from the start) and then all out (not a race) with no point by passing everywhere your car is going straight.

It was fun and I learned a lot.

My brakes were bad on half of Saturday as some compound was cooked on the disks. Lots of shaking. It got better at the end of Saturday and I had no trouble on Sunday.

Sessions were 30 minutes on track, 20 minutes debrief, 10 minute rest and prepare, and back out for another 30 minutes... and so on.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #99
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

BMW CC Trillium at Mosport done.
No brake trouble at all.
Tires are good.
Lots of rain on Friday.
No rain on Saturday
rain in last session (of 4) on Sunday.

Progression is going along.
4 to 5 seconds faster per lap than last year in June. Only difference was brake pads which are better now. Oh and practice.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #100
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
So here is my recap of the event held 2 weeks ago at Calabogie

It was a race academy. So things were a bit different from lapping days or Club schools (ADS or HPDE).

After an evening of theory classes, we were ready for track sessions on Saturday morning. Temperature was great.

7 sessions of 30 minutes per day for 2 days. So I was very tired at the end.
Every session they added some different things.

The school doesn't use a point by system so you need to respect your surroundings.

Group exercises (controlled passing)
passing on one straight on one side only
passing in every long straight
passing either side on long straights
passing on every straight as small as it may appear

They were also adding all kinds of flags to test our knowledge of them. They dropped stuff on the track for us to avoid, they sent emergency vehicles so we had to compose with them as if we were in a race situation. They sent the pace car also so we knew when to pass it or when to get back in formation behind it.

Last session of the 2nd day, we did a mock rolling start with pace car and then they gave us a yellow for a short bit on the lap (to make sure everyone settles from the start) and then all out (not a race) with no point by passing everywhere your car is going straight.

It was fun and I learned a lot.

My brakes were bad on half of Saturday as some compound was cooked on the disks. Lots of shaking. It got better at the end of Saturday and I had no trouble on Sunday.

Sessions were 30 minutes on track, 20 minutes debrief, 10 minute rest and prepare, and back out for another 30 minutes... and so on.
sounds awesome! Extremely useful. I'd love to take a course like this.
      06-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #101
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Here is a video from Calabogie: Rolling start...

and another from Mosport

Here is my YouTube Channel where I drive the McLaren MP4-12c and the Ferrari 430 Scuderia

http://www.youtube.com/user/MegaTonybest?feature=mhee
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #102
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

My next track session is very soon (25-26 June) at The Glen. I will be trying out for the first time R-Comps. They are NT01s. Any comments, warnings, suggestions you have to offer is welcome.

I will to a first session with my star specs dirrezas before going to my r-Comps.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #103
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Recap of my visit at The Glen.

jgalaxy and I drove down on Sunday. It was a beautiful day and we got there with three hours to spare before inspection which was scheduled at 18h00.

So we went back to town for some early dinner (late lunch) of seafood drowned in an unhealthy amount of melted butter. Beer was good. Took some time to walk on the pier and laugh at his sailing stories.

We then waited a little bit up at gate 4 with many other participants. Many came over to look at jgalaxy's green beast on the trailer. It has that power of attraction. Such a clean looking track car.

Inspection went as expected. We emptied our stuff in our respective spots inside the amazing garages that make this track my favourite. (the track layout is also amazing).

After an early bedtime, and a quick b-fast at the hotel, 2 great dry-chilly-windy-sunny days awaited us. It took me 2 sessions to find my bearings. Brake zone, shift zone, turn in zone... all were a bit hazy. It got better in session 3 and 4... and the following day.

Switched to NT01s for session 2. Saw some more traction but not as much as I thought I would.

I kept my hot tire pressures between 38 and 40 PSI. Brakes felt good but I was getting a little deeper in pedal travel before getting results. The HT10s are very good. I will be switching to DT60s in the future to see if I can better modulate my braking pressures.

The car went well over both days... did a few power sliding (oversteer) practices in turn 8. All fun.

Now my times (after reviewing the tape) are not as good as I thought. I only cut 2 seconds off from last years best laps. Tires were not NT01s last year, they were Dirrezzas. But I did get more consistant and more of those quick laps this time around.
My best time based on what I recorded and based on approx reading of time stamp on video is 2.22 and I know I did a few 2.24s last year.

After cutting 4 to 5 seconds at Mosport 1 yr later with the same tires, I was expecting better times at The Glen. Oh well.

A few cars had troubles... only one Mustang was not drivable after a collision ... luckily it arrived on a trailer and left on the same trailer. Rear wheel was hit so hard, the car needed some major repairs...

We drove back on Wednesday bringing with us Pseudo Nim's new NT05s. The drive was uneventful.

Now what is coming up... BMW Ottawa and Patroon event (3 days) in Calabogie. I don't think I will have the Rcomps for that event (anybody want to take them there for me?). I will change oil, flush brake fluid, buy a new helmet, replace wheel bearings, bring new brake pads... all prior to the event in mid July

Hope to see you there
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #104
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Sounds like you're having fun, and it sounds like the upgraded brake pads worked out well. I'd be interested in your experience with the DT60s after you get them.

Wheel bearings? Preventative, or needed?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #105
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Sounds like you're having fun, and it sounds like the upgraded brake pads worked out well. I'd be interested in your experience with the DT60s after you get them.

Wheel bearings? Preventative, or needed?
I've been tracking pretty hard this year. With my experience, does this mean I am better with brake management? anyways, all I can say is that I don't feel any fade or brake failure in 30 to 40 minutes sessions. They are quite sensitive (HT10s) so that is why I will try the new DT60s. I will update this thread with my experiences...

As for the wheel bearings, might be preventative... but I had an independent mechanic who thought they would need changing soon... and that was 5 track days ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #106
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Now my times (after reviewing the tape) are not as good as I thought. I only cut 2 seconds off from last years best laps. Tires were not NT01s last year, they were Dirrezzas. But I did get more consistant and more of those quick laps this time around.
I've wondered how the Star Specs behave on track.

This is my first season with them at autocross and they indeed heat up quickly (good for autocross) but can get greasy after a few two-driver runs and need to be sprayed - say going up a few PSI from 36 front 32 rear.
      06-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #107
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

I've not had the star specs get greasy when running 38-40 hot. Maybe the greater slip angles in autox have something to do with your experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #108
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I've not had the star specs get greasy when running 38-40 hot. Maybe the greater slip angles in autox have something to do with your experience?
Could be, I don't know. At an event, I had progressively good grip on 1st through 3rd runs then they dropped off sharply on run 4. They came back on the next run after spraying.

Here's our region's recent autocross thread on it - Cooling Down Dunlop Star-Specs. (All the drivers on the thread have driven competitively for probably 5 or more years.)
      07-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #109
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

3 days of Calabogie.

First day was plentyfull with 2 - 25min and 2 - 50min sessions.
On Saturday and Sunday, we had 4 sessions of 25min each day.

Trouble is, on Sunday, the A - students had a 4 hour break for lunch. Plenty of cars on track at that time since there was a Club Race going on.

It gave me the opportunity to quit early and skip the last 2 sessions.... go play cards and drink cocktails by the pool at my aunt's place.

The weather was great, hot but not too humid. Lots of horsepower. With all those Corvettes and Porsches. I held my own in my group... as it is now become the norm, I am quicker than most on the first day, and then the others get better and it becomes more fun with a lot of cars lapping in the same times... I should have a video up soon with all the traffic.

New brakes held up good (DTC60). Changing brake pads is a cinch for me now.

Met a fellow tracker with an M Coupe with a half cage and racing seats. Tried the seat and apart from my shoulders not being comfortable (too tight), it was good. He gave me a few tips on installation and location of Airbag module.

The cage does not create any ugly cuts or holes that could ruin the appearence of the interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #110
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The guy with the cage, is this a blue MC from PA?
Appreciate 0