ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #133
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
let me know when you do! i want to hit watkins at some point this summer too. let me know if you guys go anywhere kind of close to me...we can coordinate.

i'll have dtc-60's on for monday/tuesday at VIR and will post up my impressions after

they're supposed to last longer than the HT10's and have a stronger initial bite. interesting that it wasn't in your case, and you ran them both.
We are going to the Glen June 24th and 25th. with Phoenix CMR. Great organization, Good lappers.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #134
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

So I did 2 very hard days at VIR this last mon-tues. I just wanted to post up about my DTC-60 impressions. I was on the fence between ht10 and dtc60.

I know VIR full quite well, so there was no holding back in the 2 days i was there. I was very hard on the brakes on the front and back straights...and turn 4. These are the turns where I would repeatedly give firm presses of the brake lap after lap. I got zero fading, no difference in feel, very predictable....and dare I say a more friendly (linear and predictable)initial bite than the HP+ I ran the month prior at summit point?

I know tony said the ht10 were like an on off switch. I haven't given them a try yet, but I do feel like the hp+ was like that as well, while inspiring less confidence on full braking.

I drove to and from the track with these on and they're pretty liveable? They don't dust or squeal as much as the hp+..and dust comes off nicely with a pressure washer. I thought the hp+ dust was much worse.

So nothing but praise for these. I would like to try another pad just to see what it's like, but I have a feeling that dtc-60 has set a good standard for what I want in a pad.

Cheers
      04-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #135
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

What tires were you running? I like the DTC 60s too, but Star Specs or similar seem to be the min tire choice as the pads have a lot of torque, and it's easy to get into ABS with a less sticky tire. Rcomps are probably a better match IMO, but I'm not there yet. Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #136
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
What tires were you running? I like the DTC 60s too, but Star Specs or similar seem to be the min tire choice as the pads have a lot of torque, and it's easy to get into ABS with a less sticky tire. Rcomps are probably a better match IMO, but I'm not there yet. Your thoughts?
I ran with super sports which are kind of grippy at temp. But I was definitely getting abs to kick in if i was braking too abruptly. I started to avoid this by braking in a more modular fashion instead of romping on the pedal. The like to be pressed firmer a pedal travel increases.

I held off on rcomps for a while. I thinnnk I should get a set now. Currently hinting down some 18" apex arc-8's

Are you also of the opinion that our cars don't need bbk's? It's weird how well they do with pads and good brake fluid.

Pardon typos. On ipwn.

Last edited by zubydafa; 04-20-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #137
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
I ran with super sports which are kind of grippy at temp. But I was definitely getting abs to kick in if i was braking too abruptly. I started to avoid this by braking in a more modular fashion instead of romping on the pedal. The like to be pressed firmer a pedal travel increases.

I held off on rcomps for a while. I thinnnk I should get a set now. Currently hinting down some 18" apex arc-8's

Are you also of the opinion that our cars don't need bbk's? It's weird how well they do with pads and good brake fluid.

Pardon typos. On ipwn.
Same experience with the 60s. Pretty easy to modulate once you get used to them. Torque is do much higher no need to really go very deep with the pedal compared to street pads.

BBK has more heat capacity (rotor size), better pedal feel, and easy as pie to swap pads. The later being the biggest plus--at least I think do every time I swap pads. Just tired of it. But in terms of being a good braking system with good capacity, outside of Porsche, these are damn good brakes. Floating rotors FTW and size. Pretty darn good. With pads, lines, fluid they do quite well. Ducting can take it to another level I think.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-21-2013 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #138
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Heat capacity doesn't help if you can't evacuate it fast enough, and the MZ4 coupe just happens to be one of the better BMWs at it than most. Those louvres cut into the dust shield does a decent job and the two piece rotor will keep the system in operating heat range longer than most.

There are two scenarios I can see getting a fixed caliper system would be beneficial on the MZ4 Coupe. 1) to impress the chicks. 2) you're beyond just lapping for fun and need super precise brake modulation because you are now applying brake at the last tenth of a second and the difference in 5% pedal pressure means you're blowing the corner.

Fixed calipers gives you much better consistency in pedal feel and modulation, because there are far fewer axis for components to move in. I once spoke with an experienced club racer, and he said data acquisition showed he was nearly 1 second per lap faster with a big brake kit due to the ability to shave about a 1/10th per braking zone, and his times were more consistent.

That's my opinion, anyway. Which isn't to say that your average DE driver won't benefit from BBKs. For me, the cost/benefit analysis shows that it's borderline helpful, and I've put it in the "nice to have but won't bother me if I don't" category. And certainly not at the cost of having to buy new wheels to get them to fit.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #139
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

I am starting the season with OEM brakes again. Perfomance Friction 06 pads. I bought a new set of Rotors (OEM) from Tischer, which will go on in a couple of months.
No changes this year except fo new shoes (Piloti). So here is your opprtunity to catch me. I'll be nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #140
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

... a moment of silence in memory of one of, if not the greatest F1 driver of all time.

Ayrton Senna died 19 years ago today.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #141
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

This Friday will be my first event of the year at Tremblant. We are expecting slight showers (10mm). It should be fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #142
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Last weekend was spent at Mosport. I love this very fast track. They have paved a few spots that were in need and they even paved a large spot off track where there was grass after the famous Turn 2. Famous for being in the Top Ten of Motorsport's most challenging turns. Now you can use more track out at that spot.

The weekend was very wet. Sessions kept alternating between dry, damp and wet. So changing tires became annoying so I stop using the Nitto's and stuck with my new D-II's.

Those tires are great. I loved my Star Specs but I have a feeling I will love these even more. My wet sessions got faster and faster as the weekend progressed.
My car performed as expected, which is great!

This event was hosted by BMW CC Trillium from Toronto.

The weekend also saw a host of mishaps for others. A S2000 with wrong tires went on when the track was still damp. spun and crashed and the car was totaled. Another car, a recent Porsche Turbo also hit the wall when the track was wet, and crushed the front beyond repair. No one was injured, so that is what is important.

I have to say this: I love lapping in the rain.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #143
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Thanks Tony. I'm glad you stayed on the track. Smart move sticking with the D-IIs. Good to hear some feedback on that tire too.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #144
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

I am going to Watkins Glen next week. Absolutely love this track. Car is in tip top condition, with new brake pads and rotors. Still working on lowering my times using the tried and tested system of practice. More laps, more smoothness, more fun.

2 weeks ago I tried a small track close to home for the first time. Autodrome St-Eustache (ASE). I never wanted to go there as I am a snob regarding my choice of tracks. It was a private track rental with just a handful of mostly novice drivers. Don't like that they use part of an Oval track and part of a drag strip. But it was a good cheap experience at 100$ for the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #145
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Most probably doing the jump this winter. After seeing a few good examples on these here forums...

Half cage, racing seats, Harnesses, and a Hans device. Hopefully build start should be very end of 2013.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #146
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #147
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Just finished Phoenix CMR's event at The Glen.

It went very well. Lap times were consistent. Plenty of 2.23 and 2.24s And a couple of 2.22s All this on Direzzas ZII. Did not bring NT01 this time. Weather was very hot, but thanks to the garages, it was nice and comfortable while we wait for our next session. 4 sessions of 40 minutes per day. 3 run groups.

Had a blast with people from Ontario, New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Illinois etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #148
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

This iconic tree has fallen.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #149
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Most probably doing the jump this winter. After seeing a few good examples on these here forums...

Half cage, racing seats, Harnesses, and a Hans device. Hopefully build start should be very end of 2013.
I can fabricate your roll bar if you want (TIG weld).

BTW I will be there this friday at LCMT with Viper Club, I hope it won't rain too much, I will bring Pirelli slicks. I should be able to go below the 1:50 with the new setup!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #150
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Sadly I still can't transport my R comps, I will come and see you and check your trailer setup. See you Friday.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #151
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Sadly I still can't transport my R comps, I will come and see you and check your trailer setup. See you Friday.
You can ride to the track on R compound
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #152
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
You can ride to the track on R compound
Just need to check the weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #153
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

I was at Calabogie last weekend. Worked on a few things like going flat out through turn 1 and turn 16. No check brake, no slight lift. Running street tires (Dunlops DIIs).

By the end of day 2, my inside, rear, passenger side brake pad compound was gone, finished, kaput, dissapeared. Metal on metal... ouch!.. while all other 7 pads had between 45% and 55% material left.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #154
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

Thats scary.

Dsc on or off?
Appreciate 0