ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #111
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
The guy with the cage, is this a blue MC from PA?
Yes... is he on this site? Very helpfull, very nice guy.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #112
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Yes... is he on this site? Very helpfull, very nice guy.
Sometimes. Yes, nice guy. We talked about a year ago at VIR. We spent at least 30min discussing my front spiltter.

Did he have one on his car?

He also gave me the name of the guy who did his half cage.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #113
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Sometimes. Yes, nice guy. We talked about a year ago at VIR. We spent at least 30min discussing my front spiltter.

Did he have one on his car?

He also gave me the name of the guy who did his half cage.
I don't recall if he had a splitter. I don't think so.

Roll Cage = Probably this : http://www.rollcageguy.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #114
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

So with this video I've noticed I have chopped 5 secs off my last year's best recorded time.

The Blue M Coupe I keep up with is an Instructor from PA with the racing seats and roll cage I want.

http://www.youtube.com/megatonybest

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #115
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Mosport last weekend... rain and shine. Thanks to the guys at BMW CCA Trillium for a perfect organization.

My times were much improved. (Fastest : 1:40.38) My car performed well. Corded my NT01s... need new fronts.

Nice weather on Friday, mega rain in all but the last session on Saturday, Nice and cool weather on Sunday.

The drive back to Montreal was uneventful and easy... thanks to my co-travellers.

Here's a pic of myself in the rain.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #116
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Hey Tony, nice driving (just saw the video from July).

Still running the DTC60s?

Looks like you're continuing to improve!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #117
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Hey Tony, nice driving (just saw the video from July).

Still running the DTC60s?

Looks like you're continuing to improve!
I have improved lots.

Tire pressures are now kept at 32.5 to 34 when hot (starting at 25 - 26 cold). Big difference from what I was doing last year.
DTC60s came and went. They didn't last very long. 6 track days and very limited highway driving. Still like the HT10s more even if they were very rough (initial bite was very aggressive).
Now running with Performance Friction 06. 1 day and a half and can't complain. Mosport is not very demanding on brakes.

I love the NT01s as track tires. Much better than Starspecs but comparing both isn't fair as one of them is R Comp tires.
The fronts lasted 8 track days. Now they are corded. The rears have some life left (3+ more days?)

Now my car needs TLC :
Valve adjustment
Alignment
Oil change
Brake fluid change
Windshield change (a 5in by 8in L-shape crack has appeared from top center)
Full detailing job (she is in bad shape)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #118
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

So I am booked (with usual suspects) for my last event of 2012. VIR which is 15 hours away from where I live.
Nov 2 to 4th... 3 days of Full Course. with PCA NNJR club

Car is at the shop.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #119
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I am booked (with usual suspects) for my last event of 2012. VIR which is 15 hours away from where I live.
Nov 2 to 4th... 3 days of Full Course. with PCA NNJR club

Car is at the shop.
What is being done to the car? Valves? Fluids? Rotors?

I'll be giving the DTC60s a try this Friday, probably won't push things much since I haven't spent as much time on the track this year as I wanted, and have done it with enough frequency. (And I have some specific things I want to focus on, so speed/time isn't my focus for this event.)

We'll see if they overwhelm the PSS tires (245/275). Stoptech street performance haven't faded on me since I've improved my braking technique, but they only last 2 days now, and are looking a bit over-cooked at the end of the second day. We'll see how these do.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #120
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What is being done to the car? Valves? Fluids? Rotors?

I'll be giving the DTC60s a try this Friday, probably won't push things much since I haven't spent as much time on the track this year as I wanted, and have done it with enough frequency. (And I have some specific things I want to focus on, so speed/time isn't my focus for this event.)

We'll see if they overwhelm the PSS tires (245/275). Stoptech street performance haven't faded on me since I've improved my braking technique, but they only last 2 days now, and are looking a bit over-cooked at the end of the second day. We'll see how these do.
Valves adjustment, Oil, Windshield to be changed... and a full inspection.
Rotors will change next tracking season I think.
Alignment will be done at a specialty shop near my place.

Where is your event this Friday? I liked the DTC60. Like I have said, they have lasted a total of 6 days... My braking technique is "very hard and for a very short distance"... I don't use nannies and I don't keep my foot on the brakes for any other reason than to brake hard.
So i did like them but wanted to try these performance friction 06. Same feel after 2 days.
The HT10s are still the most intense set I have tried with no room to modulate pressure from my foot.

I gather you use "racing" or some kind of high performance braking fluid...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #121
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Valves adjustment, Oil, Windshield to be changed... and a full inspection.
Rotors will change next tracking season I think.
Alignment will be done at a specialty shop near my place.

Where is your event this Friday? I liked the DTC60. Like I have said, they have lasted a total of 6 days... My braking technique is "very hard and for a very short distance"... I don't use nannies and I don't keep my foot on the brakes for any other reason than to brake hard.
So i did like them but wanted to try these performance friction 06. Same feel after 2 days.
The HT10s are still the most intense set I have tried with no room to modulate pressure from my foot.

I gather you use "racing" or some kind of high performance braking fluid...
Sorry, missed on the reply. I was at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows CA.

Almost no one on the track that day! (This was before the DTC60s--don't have video from the Friday I mentioned.)

I like the DTC60s. Relatively easy to modulate, and a big improvement in stopping power compared to the Stoptech Street performance pads. Running stainless lines and ATE type 200 brake fluid (fresh before track days). Braking is on, hard, get it done, then very smooth release. Lots of room for improvement of course!

Agree about the HT10s. Friend of mine, and experienced racer, were out with his Z4M and the HT10s, and he was having the issues you describe. They're more like an on/off switch with no room for modulation.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #122
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

So my buddies and I are back from VIR, full course. Great facility, clean, inviting, and lots of fun.

The track is awesome. so many elevation changes. the uphill esses are daunting at high speeds.

It was a PCA event (NNJR) and the folks there were a great bunch. We asked to be put in Intermediate group since we had never been there and there were no more instructors left. It took one session to find our bearings. Still we were faster (in our group) than all the other cars. Out of a three day event, I gave 5 point byes (3 to my buddy jgalaxy, and 2 while I was on a pit in or pit-out lap). I figured out that in Advanced group, we would have been middle of the pack.

My times kept getting better. from 2min 23 on the Friday, 2min 21 on saturday and my 2.18.14 on Sunday.
jgalaxy did a 2.14 on Sunday with a e46 M3 race car.

Plenty of places where I could shave off more time. But not this time. Maybe at another visit, hopefully sooner than later.

Car performed quite well. Still love the pf06 brakes.

15.5 hours of travel each way... not something I am willing to do often.

Now the 6 month hibernation stage has started.

Last edited by Tonybest; 11-07-2012 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #123
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, missed on the reply. I was at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows CA.

Almost no one on the track that day! (This was before the DTC60s--don't have video from the Friday I mentioned.)

I like the DTC60s. Relatively easy to modulate, and a big improvement in stopping power compared to the Stoptech Street performance pads. Running stainless lines and ATE type 200 brake fluid (fresh before track days). Braking is on, hard, get it done, then very smooth release. Lots of room for improvement of course!

Agree about the HT10s. Friend of mine, and experienced racer, were out with his Z4M and the HT10s, and he was having the issues you describe. They're more like an on/off switch with no room for modulation.
Great video... even though you are alone.

I'd love to try Thunderhill. Where are the trees? Love the elevation changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #124
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great video... even though you are alone.

I'd love to try Thunderhill. Where are the trees? Love the elevation changes.
It's a really great track to learn on and a lot of fun, and very little in the way of walls. There's just about everything to work on--elevation changes, blind corners, off camber corners (plus off camber downhill corners), good mix of high and low speed corners. It's pretty much out in the middle of a farming area, so there's cow pasture, but no trees!

If you're ever in the area (Northern California), let me know! Thunderhill Raceway Park
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #125
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

VIR 2012
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #126
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

So my warranty is ending on the 21st of March. I decided to go my dealership and have a good look at all possible leaks and whatever they could find that could be fixed under the warranty.

I must say I am very pleased with the results. As much as I would have loved to have new parts on the car, they have found nothing leaking, and this after 4 years of tracking (over 40 days total) and 71700 kms.

They decided that my front suspension was the only part they could change, and they will. Parts are back order in Germany so the install will be done in two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #127
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
They decided that my front suspension was the only part they could change, and they will. Parts are back order in Germany so the install will be done in two weeks.
Excellent!!

I would assume the FCABs need replacing, was there anything elese?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #128
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

i can't decide on dtc-60 or ht-10

tony says ht-10 had stronger initial bite but shouldn't it be the other way around?

similar price point, but i want whichever is the better track pad. coin flip?
      04-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #129
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

HT10 are very aggressive. I might buy them in the future, but right now I like my PF06.

Only VIR done with these PF06 so not alot of experience... I want to see if they last longer than the DTC60s.

Next event May 10th.

Ht10 are great... and I suggest you try them. They are not my cup of tea now since they is little room for modulation. the bite is tremendous. You need to know what you are doing out there to properly use them. My passengers were very surprised by their stopping power.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #130
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
HT10 are very aggressive. I might buy them in the future, but right now I like my PF06.

Only VIR done with these PF06 so not alot of experience... I want to see if they last longer than the DTC60s.

Next event May 10th.

Ht10 are great... and I suggest you try them. They are not my cup of tea now since they is little room for modulation. the bite is tremendous. You need to know what you are doing out there to properly use them. My passengers were very surprised by their stopping power.

Thanks Tony. I was going mostly off of what you and the Hack were saying. These were the only two pads I was considering after learning on HP+. I read in one of the threads that HT10 tend to deteriorate in their last 50% of life, where the DTC60 doesn't...and DTC60 will not only have better modulation but last longer so I just ordered those.

I'm at VIR next week and haven't registered for May yet..but probably a few times then also.
      04-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #131
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post

I'm at VIR next week and haven't registered for May yet..but probably a few times then also.
I will go back to VIR, but alas not this year... It would be nice to see you again.

We will be at Tremblant on May 10th and are hoping for great weather. (expecting 20 cm of snow around here this Friday )
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #132
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
I will go back to VIR, but alas not this year... It would be nice to see you again.

We will be at Tremblant on May 10th and are hoping for great weather. (expecting 20 cm of snow around here this Friday )
let me know when you do! i want to hit watkins at some point this summer too. let me know if you guys go anywhere kind of close to me...we can coordinate.

i'll have dtc-60's on for monday/tuesday at VIR and will post up my impressions after

they're supposed to last longer than the HT10's and have a stronger initial bite. interesting that it wasn't in your case, and you ran them both.