ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #23
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
Is there a way auto insurance can cover this?
only if you wreck your car lol

I knew something was up. but Was that car ever been in an accident? my car at almost 100k is DEAD ON (as far as rear alignment goes) no abnormal wear and all....

and front bushings are very soft(so i've heard from e46forums) and I replaced mine at 98k...it was indeed overdue for a change and now my front end is TIGHT as you know what lol

I don't think they check for the bushings on the inspection 1. There is really no way to check them or at least very hard to tell whether the bushings are bad. they go bad progressively where it is hardly noticeable. I felt mine go bad around like 60k or so but I didn't know what it was at the time. When I braked the front end would clunk and was felt throught he brake pedal like something was loose but everything would be fine.
      11-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
AbeFroman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
only if you wreck your car lol

I knew something was up. but Was that car ever been in an accident? my car at almost 100k is DEAD ON (as far as rear alignment goes) no abnormal wear and all....

and front bushings are very soft(so i've heard from e46forums) and I replaced mine at 98k...it was indeed overdue for a change and now my front end is TIGHT as you know what lol
It was in an accident last year. I think it was hit in the right rear. The car was given to me and I don't have all the details of the accident. Sucks not everything was fixed properly. Can an impact from the side cause the front bushings to go out?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #25
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
It was in an accident last year. I think it was hit in the right rear. The car was given to me and I don't have all the details of the accident. Sucks not everything was fixed properly. Can an impact from the side cause the front bushings to go out?
yes it can...you should've mentioned that it was in an accident...would've been lot easier to say what might have gone wrong but my predictions were right
      11-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #26
AbeFroman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
yes it can...you should've mentioned that it was in an accident...would've been lot easier to say what might have gone wrong but my predictions were right
I thought I mentioned it. Are these things supposed to be noticed when you go through Inspection 1. I had Inspection 1 done in July (about 5k miles ago).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #27
AbeFroman
Private First Class
Rep

The front lower control arm bushing was broken, most likely from the accident. The alignment was off and the right rear can't be aligned properly, possibly a bent trailing arm. They said they're pretty sure it's the arm, they didn't see anything else. The notes say the "right rear is toed out -18/32 of an inch and it should be positive 1/16.

It was #8 that was replaced. The part was $186.71 and the labor $294.38. Does that sound right?

He gave me the parts list for the trailing arm.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...39&hg=33&fg=30

He said I need part 1,2,3, and 4 on the diagram.

Last edited by AbeFroman; 11-14-2009 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0