ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
tipoytm
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4si

Z4si guy, need advice

Hi all, new to the forums. We've (wife&I) had our 06 Z4si for 2.5 years now (got her brandnew). Our situation has changed so wife (baby on board!) wants to let her go... trust me I don't LOL, when I'm driving that thing with the top down and the weather is good... it's an indescribable feeling, I just forget about the world LOL. We took her on a roadtrip to Portland, Oregon 2 years ago when she was just new, and even though it was a 12-13 hour drive, it wasn't as bad as expected it to be, since long drives are usually not my kind of thing.

Anyway, I sort of want to hold on to her (since I don't think we can buy another car like this) and even thought about storing her as extra car till we can use her again (when our toddler will be old enough to ride on the frontseat safely)... but that might not be a good idea since luxury roadsters/sportscars dont hold their value well over time. Right now, she only has 15K miles can't stand the thought of trading her in cuz dealers will just lowball me. I'm also testing waters and see if I can sell her at fair price... posted it on the Marketplace forum:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320305

What do you think is the best thing to do?

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Do you and your wife have another car, or is the Z4 the only vehicle?
      11-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
tipoytm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Do you and your wife have another car, or is the Z4 the only vehicle?
We do, a crossover SUV (06' Mitsu Endeavor). Another reason why wife wants to sell it is she wants to get a 4-door sedan/wagon w/ a bit of luxury. She doesn't like to drive the SUV that much since it has a cheap interior and also she's used to the Z4's power, but not fond of the stiff ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoytm View Post
We do, a crossover SUV (06' Mitsu Endeavor). Another reason why wife wants to sell it is she wants to get a 4-door sedan/wagon w/ a bit of luxury. She doesn't like to drive the SUV that much since it has a cheap interior and also she's used to the Z4's power, but not fond of the stiff ride.
If you want to keep the Z4 another alternative if you can swing it, that's a bit more affordable, is a Volkswagen Passat Wagon. Good handling... German Engineering, and some luxury.

Just a thought...

http://www.vw.com/passatwagon/en/us/

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
tipoytm
Rep

^ Yes we did lookup a Passat Wagon, I liked it.. but wife is not very fond of the styling. Bah, I don't know, it's hard to find a car for her that she likes, given our limited budget LOL.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Realistically, you're going to get screwed on trading in the Z4. Pricing has dropped, with most people picking up a Z4M between $28-35k. With that in mind, you have a great car you both love with low miles. Get rid of the Endeavor and get your wife what she wants to drive.
      11-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
tipoytm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Realistically, you're going to get screwed on trading in the Z4. Pricing has dropped, with most people picking up a Z4M between $28-35k. With that in mind, you have a great car you both love with low miles. Get rid of the Endeavor and get your wife what she wants to drive.
Unfortunately, the wife no longer is fond of the Z4 lol, and has ended up not liking both it & the SUV. Two reasons for the Z4: 1.) cannot accomodate our little one. 2.) Stiff ride, she said she didn't mind it that much over the 2 years she used it, but now she wants a more comfortable ride (getting old, haha). The only one who still loves the roadster is yours truly :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
So keep the Z4 as your car and get her something to replace the Endeavor with styling she likes, a back-seat, and a cushy ride. You don't need two baby-haulers. Then you have a car you love to drive, the wife doesn't, and no room for carrying anything - that's a WIN.
      11-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
tipoytm
Rep

^ That's true, but there have been situations before where I had to pickup the baby and she had the SUV at work =X We are a little paranoid, cuz the baby's daycare is a bit out of the way from both our workplaces.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I may represent where you may be in a few years!!

I've always owned so-called "sensible" family sedans. We have a 7 year old and I just bought (coincidentally) a 2006 Z4 3.0 Si.

Here's the thing.

My kid LOVES it. Its getting real cold here now - down in the high 30's to mid forties - yet even with that, the little offspring type person wants me to drop the top for the morning drive to school.

And my wide LOVES it. Yesterday my folks looked after the little one while we did a mini date afternoon. Sure, you can do that in a family car. But you can get back to your pre-children relationship in the Z4. Like 'dis:

I say keep the Z4 - but make sure you use it to for those special times when its just the two of you. And trust me - with a new child coming or having arrived - that is very important!

Huzz

PS - the 2006 Z4 3.0 Si (and all the other Z4's too) can accommodate a child seat through its pasenger seat LATCH tether points. And you can turn off the passenger side airbags with the key switch on the passenger side of the dash. So you can use it for ferrying the kid to/from school and daycare as I've been doing.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

congrats! but....you're screwed dude
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
tipoytm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
My kid LOVES it. Its getting real cold here now - down in the high 30's to mid forties - yet even with that, the little offspring type person wants me to drop the top for the morning drive to school.

And my wide LOVES it. Yesterday my folks looked after the little one while we did a mini date afternoon. Sure, you can do that in a family car. But you can get back to your pre-children relationship in the Z4. Like 'dis:
About the childseat, I don't know about california laws, I guess I'll have to look that up. But yes, I even told my wife that it might be a good idea to just keep the Z4 cuz in the future, it'll be a classy ride that we can handover to our daughter once she reaches highschool 15 years from now LOL. How cool would a well-preserved Z4 be by that time, that is if gasoline is still available/affordable by then haha

The only thing is my wife is pretty much madeup of buying a new automobile(sedan/wagon or some other chick ride). Since we already paid off the roadster, I don't know is if it would be practical to store the Z4 in the garage, I would like to avoid paying insurance and annual DMV fees for it if we aren't going to use it for awhile. I doubt we can give up the Endeavor since it's also paid up and is very practical & RELIABLE.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hi Tipoytm!

A Z4 is certainly a car where passion plays a large part in the decision making process. Life with a family demands a fair amount of reason. However, passion is what brought you guys together. You need to find the mix of passion and rational logic and hard work for you guys for the long road! Everyon'e circumstances are unique, but I'm hoping that this means you both mutually agree to keep your Z4!

The car's manual says at page 35 (copied from my pdf version of it):

Deactivating/reactivating passenger
airbags

The passenger airbags must be deactivated
before using a rear-facing childrestraint
system on the passenger seat, refer
also to page 36 for explanation.

BMW also recommends that the passenger airbags
be deactivated if a child is transported in a
front-facing child-restraint system, regardless
of the age of the child. If you transport a child in
the passenger seat, not an infant in a rear-facing
seat, who is properly seated and seat-belted
at all times, the potential benefits of airbags
deploying in an accident generally outweigh the
risks of the child being injured by the force of a
deploying airbag.

Therefore, you should deactivate the passenger
airbags only if you find it difficult to ensure
that the child will remain properly seated and
seat-belted at all times.

Always position the passenger seat as far back
as possible and at the lowest level.

The above warning and recommendations are
compatible with regulations established by the
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
NHTSA, permitting the deactivation of passenger
airbags by means of an on-off switch for
members of certain at-risk groups.

Specifically, the at-risk groups are:

> Infants in rear-facing infant seats
> Persons with certain medical conditions
> Children aged 12 and under in the passenger
seat.

NHTSA provides this information via their website,
www.nhtsa.dot.gov, or via their Auto
Safety Hotline toll-free at
1-800-424-9393 or 366-0123
inWashington, D.C. area.<

So, while car IS a sports car, its not a horribly impractical one. It looks like it can accommodate a car seat (check with local authorities). Its got a decent sized trunk - I use mine all the time for my kid's school knapsack, my laptop bag, gym bag and several bags of recyling for school recycling blitzes - all in that trunk. And the Si requires less maintenance than a Z4 M.

Plus, if motorcycles are in your past, you may want to remind your wife that when it comes to the choice of a car or bike, the car wins hands down in terms of safety and occupant protection.

Cheers!

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

until you have 2, the z4 will be fine. I've carried both a forward facing carseat and a booster in mine with the air bag deactivated.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #15
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

with all due respect...your asking too money for your Z4, folks are buying Ms for that much in 06 and for a few thousand more, they are getting the 07. I know I just bought one.

Having said that...if you can afford it, keep it.. I drove a 3.0SI for 2 years before upgrading to the M. Everytime I get into a different car...it's not that much fun to drive...

But you do have different life priorities now... that decision is up to you. You've asked for opinions...I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #16
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Keep the Z and replace the cross over. My wife didn't like my Zsi and I traded it for a 335 convertible, a really nice car by the way. Althought the 335 is more lux and still high performance enough, I miss the Z and don't like the wife anymore.
Think about it.............
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #17
tipoytm
Rep

Thanks for the input guys... Imom, I don't think I'm asking too much for the Si, saw a used 07 with exactly the same specs/options/miles at an Acura dealership, and they were selling it for $34K... our local BMW dealer had exactly the same black 06 (13Kmiles) at $31.5K, but I think they sold it a month ago. I'm just basing my price from my local area. Besides, it's negotiable and it already comes with a full set of new OEM runflats which is worth $1,500. The car is practically in showroom condition, no flaws except for very minor stains. I understand though that these cars are more common in LA, that's probably why it'll be about a couple Ks less there.

I really want to keep the Si, but seeing I'm the only one who's still inlove with it, I doubt my wife will let me keep it. We are really not strapped for cash, but wife wants to get a new car and have a bigger trade-in than our frequently used Crossover.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

If finances are not pressing you too much, why not ask her to hang on a few months before you jump in. The value of your Z won`t change that much over that period and you may get more for it in the spring if you guys still want to sell. Present a rational argument. But, in the meantime, you can use the time to be devious. Here`s how.

If you take the Z for a spin by yourself, bring her back some little thing - every time. A small gift, a rose, some small thing she likes. Y`know, show her that your passion for her is augmented and enhanced by your passion for the car!

Reserve the Z for you and her to have time together. Get a babysitter and go on a date. In the Z. Regularly. Show her its the fun car that will help keep the flame ignited between you two!

Anyone else got some tips to keep our man in the Z club.....

Huzz

If anyone wants to accuse me of being full of it, I`ve been called worse!!! LOL!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys... Imom, I don't think I'm asking too much for the Si, saw a used 07 with exactly the same specs/options/miles at an Acura dealership, and they were selling it for $34K... our local BMW dealer had exactly the same black 06 (13Kmiles) at $31.5K, but I think they sold it a month ago. I'm just basing my price from my local area. Besides, it's negotiable and it already comes with a full set of new OEM runflats which is worth $1,500. The car is practically in showroom condition, no flaws except for very minor stains. I understand though that these cars are more common in LA, that's probably why it'll be about a couple Ks less there.
To provide another data point, there is an 06 ///M with 30K miles, new tires and an extended warranty listed for $26,500 on this and a couple of other forums. A very nice looking car I might add. With this in mind, your price does seem high(even with the low miles). I paid $29K for my M with 9500 miles last April. Good luck however it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
tipoytm
Rep

^ Yeah, the depreciation on these cars are really bad, that's why I kinda just want to keep her... in our case, the car is already paid off and it makes it more painful LOL. Anyway, I think this will be the last premium roadster/sports car that I will be buying in my lifetime... unless things really work out for me (ie. win the lottery). Thanks again guys for your input. Huz, I totally get what your saying... sometimes being married is hard, but that's just how it is LOL. Sometimes, something you really like has to be sacrificed just to keep the better-half happy =)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #21
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
^ Yeah, the depreciation on these cars are really bad, that's why I kinda just want to keep her... in our case, the car is already paid off and it makes it more painful LOL. Anyway, I think this will be the last premium roadster/sports car that I will be buying in my lifetime... unless things really work out for me (ie. win the lottery). Thanks again guys for your input. Huz, I totally get what your saying... sometimes being married is hard, but that's just how it is LOL. Sometimes, something you really like has to be sacrificed just to keep the better-half happy =)
What sounds strange here is you say you want to keep the Z4(it is her car right?) but she wants to see it go. What difference would it make since both cars are paid for? Get rid of the Endeavor, let her pick its replacement and you keep the Z4(that way you BOTH are happy, right?). You will probably be surprised how low you have to go to sell the Z4 anyway. It won't be much better than your Mitsu in the end. If you sell the Z4 and are left with two family drones(snore...) you will be sorry later...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #22
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Sometimes, something you really like has to be sacrificed just to keep the better-half happy =)
Tipoytm... It's all in how you sell it, create a deal that you know your wife will go for and keep the car. (you can do it)

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0