ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Last free maintanence-Tips on what I can get BMW to do?

On Thursday I bring in my 2005 Z4 for its last scheduled (and free) maintanence service. Car is in great shape and only has 15K miles. Of course, I would like to have as much free work done as possible (aside from the oil change) and would appreciate suggestions on the kinds of things I should ask to be done, including tips on getting things done that BMW may balk about. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

If they haven't already done it, ask for a coolant and brake fluid change(these should be done every 2-3 yrs) also possibly a diff fluid change(if your is a manual) or auto trans fluid change. Get wiper blades too. make sure they check the brakes as well. Maybe you will get lucky and need a new set.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'll have them check the brakes and pads. Had brake fluild flushed at 2yrs, but the coolant may need replacement. Wipers, every time.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
The brake flush is an every 2 year event, so you should be able to get that again now. Is this service just an annual oil change, or is it the scheduled "oil service" indicated on your car's service computer? If it's an official oil service, then the cabin air filter will be changed, but if it's simply an oil change, it will not - maybe you can talk them into changing it anyway since you will probably not be very far away from the official oil service time.

The coolant is like the trans and diff oils - lifetime fill to BMW, so you are unlikely to get those included for free, though they should probably be done at this point. If BMW doesn't want to do them, consider going to an independent BMW shop to have those done - it will cost on the order of 2/3 what the dealer will charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
just curious, when can u get brake pad/rotor replaced? every xx,xxx miles or x years?
      08-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
just curious, when can u get brake pad/rotor replaced? every xx,xxx miles or x years?
As far as I can tell, whenever the sensors trip, or when inspection deems it necessary. I had the rears replaced when the sensor tripped, but they only replaced the pads since the rotors still were still servicable. At the same time they replaced the front pads and rotors since their road test revealed a fair amount of judder (I could have told them that, too!) even though material thicknesses were OK.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
As far as I can tell, whenever the sensors trip, or when inspection deems it necessary. I had the rears replaced when the sensor tripped, but they only replaced the pads since the rotors still were still servicable. At the same time they replaced the front pads and rotors since their road test revealed a fair amount of judder (I could have told them that, too!) even though material thicknesses were OK.
interesting, and do you recall at which mileage those sensors came on? i dunno if its just a difference in brake feel but when i got a 328 and 335 as a loaner, i was shocked at how the brakes stopped on a dime. it was much more responsive and the slightest nudge equated into stopping power whereas in my z, its a more gradual effect.
      08-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
The brake flush is an every 2 year event, so you should be able to get that again now. Is this service just an annual oil change, or is it the scheduled "oil service" indicated on your car's service computer? If it's an official oil service, then the cabin air filter will be changed, but if it's simply an oil change, it will not - maybe you can talk them into changing it anyway since you will probably not be very far away from the official oil service time.

The coolant is like the trans and diff oils - lifetime fill to BMW, so you are unlikely to get those included for free, though they should probably be done at this point. If BMW doesn't want to do them, consider going to an independent BMW shop to have those done - it will cost on the order of 2/3 what the dealer will charge.

This is not the every 15K mile service. I only put on about 4K a year, and have thus had the car free maintanence done annually (this will be my fourth and last one). However, I will ask for a change in the cabin filter...seems like it should be changed at least once within 4 years, eh?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycaster View Post
This is not the every 15K mile service. I only put on about 4K a year, and have thus had the car free maintanence done annually (this will be my fourth and last one). However, I will ask for a change in the cabin filter...seems like it should be changed at least once within 4 years, eh?
It's sure worth asking for! How much further do you have to go before the official oil service is called for? Mine came at around 17.5k. The CAF, brake flush and anything questionable on the warranty front are about the only things to do at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Here's what I got:
oil/filter change, wiper blades, brake flush, topped off liquids. As they couldn't duplicate my claimed brake squeal, no rotor or pads check performed. No change in antifreeze as this is a "lifetime" thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Codeman
The wine guy
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycaster View Post
Here's what I got:
oil/filter change, wiper blades, brake flush, topped off liquids. As they couldn't duplicate my claimed brake squeal, no rotor or pads check performed. No change in antifreeze as this is a "lifetime" thing.
Who the heck told you antifreeze was a lifetime fluid? They need to be fired!

The cooling system should be flushed every so often. Also if you know anything about the older BMWs, their cooling systems were almost 'wear items'. Seems like you needed to replace them when you replaced the rotors LOL.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
Who the heck told you antifreeze was a lifetime fluid? They need to be fired!

The cooling system should be flushed every so often. Also if you know anything about the older BMWs, their cooling systems were almost 'wear items'. Seems like you needed to replace them when you replaced the rotors LOL.
Per BMW the coolant is now "lifetime"(which means about 50k miles from what I understand about the current quality- or lack thereof- in BMW cooling systems).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:12 AM   #13
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Here's the bottom line-I'm going for it.

Here are the cost quotes (BTW the policy is transferable to an new owner):

100K/72mo....$2001 + 7% tax
85K/60mo......$1800 "
75K/72mo......$1730 "

Hell, as I drive 4-5K/year, the last one looks like a no-brainer to me. Whaddya think?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
jonanator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 335i, '06 Z4MC

Sorry, to bump an old thread but... My warranty expires in a year, December 2010.

So for this coming year, I want to get everything possible done under warranty.

How do I go about this? Do I just make an appointment and ask them to do the fluid flushes, etc., under warranty? I guess my question is, how does BMW determine if my car needs these maintenance issues addressed? Is it on a mileage basis, like how they determine if I need an oil change? or is it different for brake fluid flushes, etc.?

Also, my brakes have started to squeal a bit, so I guess I can get them to look at the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonanator View Post
Sorry, to bump an old thread but... My warranty expires in a year, December 2010.

So for this coming year, I want to get everything possible done under warranty.

How do I go about this? Do I just make an appointment and ask them to do the fluid flushes, etc., under warranty? I guess my question is, how does BMW determine if my car needs these maintenance issues addressed? Is it on a mileage basis, like how they determine if I need an oil change? or is it different for brake fluid flushes, etc.?

Also, my brakes have started to squeal a bit, so I guess I can get them to look at the brakes.
Generally the maintenance is done according to the service indicator on the car - the number that shows up in the odometer when you first start the car, and the service indicated (oil service, inspection, etc.) A low mileage oil change can be done on an annual basis if the car hasn't reached its next service within a year of its last service. Brake fluid flushes are done every two years irrespective mileage. Brakes generally are serviced when the service indicator shows on the dash, indicating pad wear, though I have seen them change pads/rotors based upon performance - they changed out the front pads/rotors due to judder when they were changing the rear pads due to wear, so it's worth expressing your concerns with them.

Those are the typical maintenance issues. As to any other possible warranty issues such as items that are worn, it's always worth asking about - some people have gotten worn interior parts replaced on warranty even though they weren't broken.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
Codeman
The wine guy
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Is there anyway to get the top replaced under warranty? Other than the obvious 'it leaks'.

Maybe because it's discolored or whatever?
Appreciate 0