ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
glenn
Rep
Drives: 328i

voice comand

hi ! i have a question on the BMW blue tooth voice command. It loaded in all the numbers from my phone when i synced it up and i can manually scroll on the dash and make calls but it doesn't accept voice commands for dialing them ? I hope i don't have manually enter them all.

thanks,
Glenn
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

This may help - www.e38.org/BMW-03_00-Voice-Control-en.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
glenn
Rep

thanks !
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
glenn
Rep

security

is there a way of locking access to names and numbers in the phone book when give your car to a Valet or someone else ?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
is there a way of locking access to names and numbers in the phone book when give your car to a Valet or someone else ?
Yes -- Turn the bluetooth off in your phone before getting out of the car. I believe the car will then prompt to "Activate Phone" if someone then tried to access the phone functions.

You have some famous numbers in there you're afraid of leaking out?
      12-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
glenn
Rep

thanks and i am very dissapointed with the dealer and the bluetooth and assist system. The dealer finally did the electronic registration on the BMW assist and now if i call SOS or use the phone it has got all this static on the other end of the call when it is perfectly clear on my end ? Assist tried to reset it and no improvement and they think possibly it is a bad microphone. It is very weird as yesterday before they registared it there was no static ? I hope this is not german electronics at work as i don't want to have Lexus buyers remorse !!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

In my experience BMW makes an effort to rectify issues. For example, they bought my Z4M Roaster because of roof issues and replaced it with a car of my choice - I picked the Z4M Coupe.

Just be polite, do not threaten and request that they correct the issue. Also tell them the things they did right - not just the screw ups.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
thanks and i am very dissapointed with the dealer and the bluetooth and assist system. The dealer finally did the electronic registration on the BMW assist and now if i call SOS or use the phone it has got all this static on the other end of the call when it is perfectly clear on my end ? Assist tried to reset it and no improvement and they think possibly it is a bad microphone. It is very weird as yesterday before they registared it there was no static ? I hope this is not german electronics at work as i don't want to have Lexus buyers remorse !!
The SOS system uses a mobile carrier's network (I forget which, though). Were you in a different place when registered (and things sounded good) than you were when you tested again (and they were static-y) ? If so, then I'd infer that the latter location just happens to be a bad reception spot for whatever mobile carrier is used by the SOS sytem.
      12-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
glenn
Rep

it's confusing and the BMW assist person thinks it might be the microphone. I elimated the cell phone all together and just using the SOS button they can hardly hear me and there is a buzz and static. Here is how it went down. Bought the car sunday in Beverly Hills and drove home 1 hour away. Tested SOS button and everything was clear on both ends but they said the info was not registared and told me to tell the dealer to re-registar. I did that and when i called SOS again they had all the information but now static and very distance sound almost unaudible. I tried several different locations where i live and close to the dealer and still a problem. Sometimes the call wont even disconnect and it keeps re-cycling and calling again and they can't hear me and i have to shut off the car and reboot as it freezes.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
glenn
Rep

thanks and what is the best number to call to discuss options ?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #11
spitfire.one
4 seats good. 2 seats better!
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupé

Anyone know if it's possible that I can have Bluetooth, but not the voice command functionality? I've tried activating voice control as instructed in the manual in this thread, but nothing happens...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
If you have bluetooth you have voice command. No question about it. You hold the little "speaking mouth" button for 2 seconds? That should be all it takes and then it will beep at you.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
thanks and what is the best number to call to discuss options ?
Is your car still under the OEM warranty? If so, take it to a BMW dealer and have them fix it, for free...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Thanks for the GREAT post with the PDF. For whatever reason, my car did not have the manual when I got it even though it had all of the other manuals. I have managed to work through the menu after finding it by accident one day, but this answers all of my questions.
      11-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

The bluetooth feature is also great for your marriage. Seriously!!

This morning I drove my kid to school and discovered that my wife had forgotten to pack his lunch - and I have a busy day today. So I had to trek back to the house and pack it myself, then back to the school - again!

On the way, I tried to get the car to call the wife at work so I could grumble! It would not!!! A while later, when I had realized I should have checked his lunch myself before I left in the morning, the car placed the call first time. And I did not grumble!!

So, yet another reason why the Z4 is great for you!!

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
spitfire.one
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If you have bluetooth you have voice command. No question about it. You hold the little "speaking mouth" button for 2 seconds? That should be all it takes and then it will beep at you.
Try as I might, this thing just refuses to work... I tried with ignition on, off, halfway, standing on my head...

Anyhoo, the CD changer is jammed and the cupholder broken, so maybe I'll just add that to the list of stuff when I take it for a service...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

If you press the Talking Head button on the left steering wheel spoke, holding it down for a couple of seconds until tha car "beeps", and if you then say "dial number" - does anything happen?

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

With mine if I press the "head" button for a second, the car will respond with "say command" and then I can tell it what I want to do ie. dial name etc.
      11-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I have a 2006 Si. My cell phone is one that will not load its internal stored numbers to the car. But I can use it to receive calls and make calls with voice comands.

And I can populate the car's voice diretory using voice commands.

When I press the steering wheel button, after the beep the car says nothing. I have to speak a command, such as "dial number" and then the car responds with something like "please say the number".

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
spitfire.one
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
If you press the Talking Head button on the left steering wheel spoke, holding it down for a couple of seconds until tha car "beeps", and if you then say "dial number" - does anything happen?

Huzz
Nothing happens at all. If I press it quickly it dials the first number in my phone book, but holding it down does nothing... no beeps, prompts or anything. I should find out from my dealer whether they would've disabled the system for my country - can't fathom why they would tho...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #21
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

unless your car has been optioned differently from North American Z-4's, it should work. It sounds to me like a visit to your closest BMW dealer is needed.

Huzz
Appreciate 0