ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

Valve Job

I am looking at a Z4MC & the sales person said something about the engine needing a expensive 'valve job' every 15k miles.

He was trying to sell me a $2,500 extended warrantee.

Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Not true, Inspection I is at 30k or so, some do it just before and it's not that expensive.
      12-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is there any regularly needed valve job needed at all?

The Z4MC I am looking at has 32k miles, with the warranty expiring 03/11, so I'm worried about getting hit with a $2k bill soon thereafter.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post

The Z4MC I am looking at has 32k miles, with the warranty expiring 03/11, so I'm worried about getting hit with a $2k bill soon thereafter.

Thanks.
There should be a record if inspection I was performed and yes, every 30k, since the S54 uses solid lifters, the valves are adjusted and inspected. Did they tell you the valve adjustment was $2k?
      12-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They through that number out.

Needless to say, I felt like the guy was working me over for the extended warranty.

How much does it cost?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've seen from $500 to $1500, depending on the shop/dealership, but if the vehicle is still under warranty, have them do it before you make a purchase. Most reports I've seen, many don't need much of an adjustment at all but the labor is still there. Ask to see the maintenance report and ask them about inspection I.
      12-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks.
Valve adjustment required at Inspection I and II:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=21
The car you are looking at should have had Inspection I performed at around 25,000 miles depending on fuel consumption. I would want to see proof that this service was accomplished and the valves were in fact checked and adjusted as required.
BMW NA reimburses their dealers about 4.5 hours of labor to perform the S54 valve adjustment:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...62&postcount=9
If you're paying for it that's about $450 worth of labor and about $100 worth of parts (gasket, grommets, shims, etc.)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=49
That's just for the valve adjustment part of Inspection I and II. Add to that an oil change, cabin filter, and a multitude of "checks" and you're up to six hours of labor and another $125 worth of materials for Inspection I.
Nobody said owning an S54 powered Motorsport Bimmer was going to cheap to maintain. Check the price of rotors

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Not true, Inspection I is at 30k or so, some do it just before and it's not that expensive.
Mine was done @ <18k miles.

for inspection I figure $500 for valve job + 130 for oil from a good shop, less than that and they probably arent doing it right (I forget if there's anything else)

For inspection II, about $1,000 from a good shop, less than that and they probably aren't doing it right.

If they need the car for less than 5 hours for either they probably aren't doing it right.

The dealers here do not know how to or have the correct tools or shims to preform the inspection. True story. My car doesn't see the inside of a dealer anymore, even for a simple covered/paid for oil change.
      12-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

I'll also chime in on this one as I made comments in another thread. I agree with O-cha, if you have a friend or reliable independent... I rather go that route. If the dealer was getting paid $40/hour I can understand they get lazy, but $300 for oil change or $500 for valve job... it's not cheap and one would expect professional service. I had a little more complicated issue serviced... they told there was nothing they can do...I googled for 10 minutes and found a service bulletin on it... so I had to make another appointment and come back...they fixed it and then I had to open it up and fix it a little more. I'd be pretty upset if I had to pay for it...good thing it was warranty service.

I love to pay someone else to do it...but it bothers me a whole lot more when I have to pay top dollar and get sub par service...really bugs me...but if something extremely major fails on you it's nice to know you have warranty.

I can see O-cha doesn't drive his car lightly with needing inspection I at 18K, it's generally about 25K....may car is on that time clock. At 32K, most likely you already had inspection I and if you ask the dealer they will have a record of it.

One other dealer I went too...I asked for this...he said they don't have such records and each dealer are independent...it was a bunch of B.S...they just wanted me to go in and give them the car to work on...I drove an extra 30 miles to get it serviced at another dealer and they gave me a complete car service history...and over the phone they told me when the last oil change was...I'm sure inspection I will be on the car's record if one was performed.

Lastly... I want until you are a few months close to your warranty before buying the CPO... you never know what happens to the car. I heard a story where someone buy CPO and later on crashed the car... that money is gone.. so only buy when you are ready to buy it...otherwise it's wasted if an event happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
KenTenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Insp I on my car was done at 22,700 mi. Dealer quoted me about $1800 for Insp II.

ZSCCA Area Rep - TN
www.zscca.org
'06 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
I am looking at a Z4MC & the sales person said something about the engine needing a expensive 'valve job' every 15k miles.

He was trying to sell me a $2,500 extended warrantee.

Is this true?
"Valve job" is an old fashioned term that doesn't even apply here. The person was talking about a valve adjustment, which typically is done about every 30K miles and typically costs about $600. This would not be covered by an extended warranty since it is not a repair, it is routine maintenance. Was he trying to sell you an extended service plan? In any case the person sounds dishonest and I would look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTenn View Post
Insp I on my car was done at 22,700 mi. Dealer quoted me about $1800 for Insp II.

When is Inspection II due?

Why isn't all of this covered under BMW maintenance program?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Inspection II comes at the nominal 60,000 mile mark. Officially you get an oil service at 15,000 miles, give or take depending upon fuel consumption, then Inspection I at 30k, another oil service at 45k, then Inspection II at 60k, and then you start over again with an oil service followed by Inspection I, etc., etc., etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Thumbs down Smoke and mirrors

Quote:
Because the BMW Maintenance Program is smoke and mirrors. BMW leads one to believe the Program is worth a lot of money when, if fact, it gets you two Oil Services, an Inspection I, and a brake fluid service which run about $1000 retail and cost BMW NA half that at most. If you're lucky you might also get some windshield wiper blade inserts and front brake pads. Whoopee
BMW lists brake discs and engine drive belts amoung the items covered under thier 4year/50000 mile Program. Highly unlikely these items will be sufficiently worn to be deemed eligible for "free" replacement.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...intenance.aspx
As pointed out by CalRick Inspection II Service Indicator Display won't go into negative miles until your odo is approaching 60,000 miles; well past the 50,000 mile Program limit.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
KenTenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:

Probably at 45 - 50k miles which will probably occur mid to late 2010 since my 4 yr/50k is up in April, 2010...

It would be if you happen to put enough miles on before the 4 years are up (and the indicator comes on prior to your 50k). BMW has it figured out pretty well so that doesn't normally happen.

ZSCCA Area Rep - TN
www.zscca.org
'06 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

As others have alluded to here the "valve jobs" which are really valve adjustments are NOT covered under extended warrantee (aka CPO) but are covered under "extended maintenance". If you are buying a "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle then you already have the 6 year/100,000 mile warantee. Should you purchase an extended maintenance plan? Depends on your driving. I will hit 100,000 miles long before my Z is 6 years old. I will get my Inspectin II at 60,000, and another Insp I at 90,000 as well as oil changes at 60k, 75k & 90k, and maybe even 1 just before 100k, depending on my gas usage. I am also likely to get a set of brakes and another set or 2 of wiper blades. If I can burn enough of the clutch before then, they will even throw that in. If I can get the maint. plan for $2k give or take, it will be worth it TO ME, based on my driving. If you won't get anywhere near 100k miles in 6 years, don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Because the BMW Maintenance Program is smoke and mirrors. BMW leads one to believe the Program is worth a lot of money when, if fact, it gets you two Oil Services, an Inspection I, and a brake fluid service which run about $1000 retail and cost BMW NA half that at most. If you're lucky you might also get some windshield wiper blade inserts and front brake pads. Whoopee
BMW lists brake discs and engine drive belts amoung the items covered under thier 4year/50000 mile Program. Highly unlikely these items will be sufficiently worn to be deemed eligible for "free" replacement.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...intenance.aspx
As pointed out by CalRick Inspection II Service Indicator Display won't go into negative miles until your odo is approaching 60,000 miles; well past the 50,000 mile Program limit.

I milked it for 2 sets of pads 1.5 sets of rotors, Inspection I, 4 oil changes, and that was all <25k miles before it was totaled on track. I was also on track for inspection II before running out of warranty, but as I learned and have learned more about the dealer, won't even go there for the free stuff.