ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
redhot91gt
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Fuel door spring problem

I was filling up the car the other day and I somehow locked the door while I was filling up and tried to close the door while the fuel door lock was on. I heard a snap and now the door has no tension. The door will still lock but the door return spring does not work at all it just flaps around easily if the doors are not locked.

Has anyone had this issue and know how to solve it? I have searched but can not come up with anything z4 specific.

Thanks in advance!
-Stu
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
redhot91gt
Rep

Maybe some pictures would help. Here are some pictures where it looks like something sheared off. If anyone has any idea of what part I need to replace or even just pictures of what it is suppose to look like / function. That would be a major help!

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Just had a look at mine and it looks like the "spring mechanism" is inside the quarter panel.
Try removing the fill in flap http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_1452 and see if the spring is accessible.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
redhot91gt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Just had a look at mine and it looks like the "spring mechanism" is inside the quarter panel.
Try removing the fill in flap http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_1452 and see if the spring is accessible.
Thanks man!

I removed the flap as a whole. It seems the pin that the spring was connected to broke. I was able to drill and insert a small screw in place of the plastic pin. Seems to work pretty good.

In case anyone else has to remove the fill in flap as a whole. Make sure you removed the (t15) screw first and then rotate the locking pin area counter clockwise to remove the grommet for the locking pin. Should come out after that no problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Even though it's dark, I got curious and grabbed a flashlight to see what mine looks like.
I went bopping out there and there's a freakin' skunk under my car!
Abort mission! Return to base!
      07-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Even though it's dark, I got curious and grabbed a flashlight to see what mine looks like.
I went bopping out there and there's a freakin' skunk under my car!
Abort mission! Return to base!
spit out my morning coffee.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Hilarious! Years ago, one summer evening I was hunched over, working in the rear hatch of a 944 I had (I had my stereo amps back there). I felt something brush against the back of my calves and I thought it was the neighbor's cat so I paid it no mind. I then realized I wasn't at my parent's house, I was at my apartment that has numerous raccoon families. I leaped (lept?) into the hatch!
Appreciate 0