ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
jjr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

06 3.0si Oil Level and Reset

Hi,
I just changed my oil w/6.9qts and when I checked the level it looks to be low (please see pix) is it low or is that normal? Could it bee that I did not add enough oil???

If I reset the oil check (unsure on how to do that) would the oil level read correctly?

TIA,
John
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

It's probably providing the previous oil level prior to the oil change. Let it cycle through the oil level reading process and it should real full.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Take it out fo a drive and you should have an accurate reading next time you drive the car/check the level. For some reason, not all of our cars give the correct reading immediately after an oil change. Each block is about 1/4 liter or quart IIRC, so you're 1/2 liter/quart low. FWIW the TIS suggests filling to 6.5 quarts and topping off as necessary once warm.

Last edited by Incompatible; 07-04-2015 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It's probably providing the previous oil level prior to the oil change. Let it cycle through the oil level reading process and it should real full.
This - I've found that it can take 40-50 miles - couple of run cycles - before it shows the new, correct level. This kind of lag is pretty annoying but it's all we have. If you put 6.9 in there, you will be fine.
Appreciate 0