ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Where can I get my chassis/frame checked out?

Hey guys,

Just bought a "clean bimmer." It's in perfect condition inside and out.... but.... door is painted. Title is clean but clean title doesn't mean it hasn't been hit. Does anyone know a place in the Los Angeles area to check the frame/chassis?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Call your local independent bmw shop. They will know a shop that can check your frame straightness.

If they race cars, they will know the frame shop very well.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank
Call your local independent bmw shop. They will know a shop that can check your frame straightness.

If they race cars, they will know the frame shop very well.
Thank you for your reply. I already took it and got the good news that it's clean. I took it to a body shop I take all my cars to and confirmed the frame is near perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

2 good things to check for when buying a car and you worry about if the car has been in a crash is to check if the gaps between body panels are even and if there's rust in wierd places (probably had body work).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
2 good things to check for when buying a car and you worry about if the car has been in a crash is to check if the gaps between body panels are even and if there's rust in wierd places (probably had body work).
Oh theirs a whole list I go by:
- If all doors close properly. The trunk and rear passenger door wasn't closing properly. Turned out the door adjuster needed to be aligned. Trunk I guess just wasn't a big deal.
- If there are some bumps by the sun roof (it's a 2003 e39 m5). If the car's been in a severe accident you can't escape the evidence it leaves around the sun roof. You'll start to see nipples pop out.
- If the reflections on all panels are the same. That same door that wasn't closing properly has been resprayed. At this point it's obvious the car has been in an collision.
- If the wheel gap from the tire to the fender is matching with the other side. When I mean gap I don't mean on top of the tire, rather on the side of the tire to the side of the fender spacing. No issue on this.
- Finally, of course, your recommendation on the body panels. All panels were perfectly aligned.

The body shop I took it to confirmed that none of the doors, fender, or even trunk was ever replaced. It's still using all the same OEM panels.

I called the dealer I bought it from and told me the car has been in a minor collision. I couldn't care less if the car's resprayed as long as the frame is straight I'm a happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
Oh theirs a whole list I go by:
- If all doors close properly. The trunk and rear passenger door wasn't closing properly. Turned out the door adjuster needed to be aligned. Trunk I guess just wasn't a big deal.
- If there are some bumps by the sun roof (it's a 2003 e39 m5). If the car's been in a severe accident you can't escape the evidence it leaves around the sun roof. You'll start to see nipples pop out.
- If the reflections on all panels are the same. That same door that wasn't closing properly has been resprayed. At this point it's obvious the car has been in an collision.
- If the wheel gap from the tire to the fender is matching with the other side. When I mean gap I don't mean on top of the tire, rather on the side of the tire to the side of the fender spacing. No issue on this.
- Finally, of course, your recommendation on the body panels. All panels were perfectly aligned.

The body shop I took it to confirmed that none of the doors, fender, or even trunk was ever replaced. It's still using all the same OEM panels.

I called the dealer I bought it from and told me the car has been in a minor collision. I couldn't care less if the car's resprayed as long as the frame is straight I'm a happy camper.
Sure sign of a collision in my experience
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Sure sign of a collision in my experience

Damn must be a lemon
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Seriously, why'd you ask us?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Seriously, why'd you ask us?
Cause I didn't know where to get a cars frame checked out. It was kind of urgent at the time so I posted. A Z4 Facebook page answered all my questions.
Appreciate 0