ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

S54 oil filter question

I ordered some oil filters from AutohauzAZ for my Z4M and I believe they are identical to the OEM filter spec'd out in the REALOEM.com site. They were Mann filters and there were no metal support caps on them and looked very similar to the filter that goes in the M54 engine on my 530i. This was my first oil change since I bought the car and when I took the old filter out, it was a BMW filter with a BMW part number but the part number was NOT the one in REALOEM.com for this car. In fact, REALOEM.com did not even have this part number in its data base. This filter had metal caps on each end and had a paper wrap-a-round the filter element. I believe it was made by Mahle.

In any event, the main reason for my post is that the new Mann filter is basically the same size and I believe the correct filter. However, because the style of the filter is slightly different than the filter that came out of it, it is very difficult to maneuver into the cannister as the intake mannifold gets in the way. You can do it but you have to be careful not to damage the filter putting it in--it's that tight. Have others had this problem when changing the filter? I know you have to remove the electrical connector to remove the filter cover but it's the manifold that gets in the way, not the connector.

I appreciate any comments.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

I had the exact same issue once when I bought one at the dealer. I returned it, and they said it was the "wrong one", without elaborating. The replacement they gave me had the metal caps, and fit perfectly. Now, when I buy filters, even at the dealer, I check for the metal caps.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
mhughett
Captain
Rep

The interesting thing is that I put the part number that was on the old filter into the RealOEM.com search by part number and it came up empty (part number not recognized). At first I thought that maybe the dealer had used either the wrong filter or an old part number that had been superceeded. Now, I'm really confused.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
The interesting thing is that I put the part number that was on the old filter into the RealOEM.com search by part number and it came up empty (part number not recognized). At first I thought that maybe the dealer had used either the wrong filter or an old part number that had been superceeded. Now, I'm really confused.
11 42 7 833 769 is the filter kit not the filter.
Filter last three is 242.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Different question - how long is it safe to leave the same filter in the car before the paper element starts to decompose? Please don't say one year because I know that isn't right. How often must the filter element be replaced to prevent if from falling apart? Please back up your answer with some kind of engineering data or real world experience. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
mhughett
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Ron Stygar;8199439]11 42 7 833 769 is the filter kit not the filter.
Filter last three is 242.[/QUOTE

So why is it when I input this number into realoem.com that it says "the specified part part number not found"? I tried the same thing with GetBMWParts.com and the same thing happened. Here is a link to a site that I have ordered parts in the past. They carry both the Mahle and Mann filters. When you type in the kit number above, both filters appear. AutohausAZ says that the Mann filter is the OE filter but now I have my doubts. The Mahle is what my dealer used. Hmmmmm.

http://catalog.sasponline.com

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=mhughett;8201505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post

So why is it when I input this number into realoem.com that it says "the specified part part number not found"? I tried the same thing with GetBMWParts.com and the same thing happened. Here is a link to a site that I have ordered parts in the past. They carry both the Mahle and Mann filters. When you type in the kit number above, both filters appear. AutohausAZ says that the Mann filter is the OE filter but now I have my doubts. The Mahle is what my dealer used. Hmmmmm.

You can't purchase 242.
Why don't you just purchase the BMW 11 42 7 833 769 filter kit?
Look in realoem. No number for just the filter.
Just the filter kit to get the filter with the other items.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=mhughett;8201505]
Quote:

They carry both the Mahle and Mann filters. When you type in the kit number above, both filters appear. AutohausAZ says that the Mann filter is the OE filter but now I have my doubts. The Mahle is what my dealer used. Hmmmmm.

Those are aftermarket. My two BMW 769 doesn't have Mahle or Mann on them.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=86
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
mhughett
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Ron Stygar;8201645]
Quote:

You can't purchase 242.
Why don't you just purchase the BMW 11 42 7 833 769 filter kit?
Look in realoem. No number for just the filter.
Just the filter kit to get the filter with the other items.
The reason I don't buy it from BMW is that it's about $14 from the dealers and the exact same filter is about $7 or $8 from online parts sources. It is not unusual that both Mann and Mahle make filter kits that fall under the 11 42 7 833 769 part number. Sometimes, the dealer will sell both, depending on which supplier is giving them the best price at any point in time. In this case, the Mahle kit appears to be the one that the dealer is using.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=mhughett;8201783]
Quote:

The reason I don't buy it from BMW is that it's about $14 from the dealers and the exact same filter is about $7 or $8 from online parts sources. It is not unusual that both Mann and Mahle make filter kits that fall under the 11 42 7 833 769 part number. Sometimes, the dealer will sell both, depending on which supplier is giving them the best price at any point in time. In this case, the Mahle kit appears to be the one that the dealer is using.
Whatever you want to do.
Save a few dollars.
It's not the dealer BMW one.
Doesn't have BMW on it?

$14 is $10.50 from BMW North Haven, CT
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
mhughett
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Ron Stygar;8201910]
Quote:
Whatever you want to do.
Save a few dollars.
It's not the dealer BMW one.
Doesn't have BMW on it?
$14 is $10.50 from BMW North Haven, CT

It may not have "BMW" on it but it has the exact same OE part number (Mahle OX 187) on it as the "BMW" filter has. Certainly you didn't think that BMW makes these filters themselves in their own factory, did you? Manufacturers that make filters, spark plugs, etc for BMW sell the exact same product to wholesalers for public sale. With 4 BMW's to maintain, free shipping it adds up.

You are fortunate that you have a dealer that sells BMW parts at a much better discount than mine. I get only a 10% discount off list (for my BMWCCA membership), which isn't much. I bought a case of filters for the N52 engines from Tischer at a very good price when they threw in free shipping so I am not averse to buying from BMW dealers.

Last edited by mhughett; 10-22-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0