ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Dodged a bullet + found an honest indy shop in Austin

Since I returned to Austin, I haven't found an indy shop yet. I knew it was close to time to replace the rear differential mount bushings. BMW of Austin wants $1200 to do the job so I decided to find an indy and get it done next month.

So last Sunday, I start to hear a terrible squealing and scraping coming from my left rear wheel. I immediately thought wheel bearing but without a jack, there was no way to see if the wheel moved back and forth. I couldn't see any problems when I looked underneath.

Monday, I had it towed to Paul's Motor Werks here in Austin expecting that I was probably going to end up replacing a wheel bearing and if one goes the other usually follows.

Monday night, I get a call from Jack at PMW and he says my car is good to go. They removed the wheel and found a small rock lodged between the rotor and the heat shield. Apparently he had to jump through a few hoops to get it to come out but he did.

I had to reimburse them $75 for the tow but they didn't charge me a dime for the work. Jack also told me I probably had another six months before I needed to replace the rear differential bushings but when I was ready, they'd charge me $525.

I'm pretty impressed with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

It's always nice to find a professional or shop that's honest and does good work.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
We should keep a thread with names, phone numbers and locations of honest shops around the country.
      12-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I had that same issue in a Mazda 323 GT I had in college. Very scary sound eh? Glad you found someone who was honest. I probably would just had the bushings done while it was there to save another trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
gigtime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
I had that same issue in a Mazda 323 GT I had in college. Very scary sound eh? Glad you found someone who was honest. I probably would just had the bushings done while it was there to save another trip.
Scary, indeed, especially when I logged in the forum from my phone and saw what was involved in changing out the bearings.

I've got a trip coming up next week so I'm going to drop it off on my way out of town and have them take care of a couple of oil leaks and do the bushings then.
Appreciate 0