ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Light gas pedal

Enough snow gone so I can take her out for a while - too damn much gravel and salt still on the road but couldn't wait after the ESS install and to check the boost gauge - both work great.

Even before - if I put the M on "sport" the gas pedal pressure is SO light that it is hard to leave a stop smoothly without getting into the bucking horse syndrome as your foot goes back and forth trying to keep pressure on the gas without burning out at every stop. Now with the supercharger it is even harder to do.

IS there any way to increase the resistance on the gas pedal so it isn't as liable to go back and forth between more and less throttle. I know if you drive it like you stole it not a problem but if you are driving in front of a cop - that aint a good idea.
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

That's odd.

I know there are some tunes out there that basically put M-Sport mode on no matter what, it might be crazy to say but...was the car ever tuned?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Why do you need to put the M sport buttom ON if you don't like it?

I always leave mine off.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Support (press) your right foot and leg against the carpeting to the right. That will stabilize your foot to minimize driver induced oscillation.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
Why do you need to put the M sport buttom ON if you don't like it?

I always leave mine off.
I absolutely hate it.

Although, the only time I enjoy it is for easier blipping on downshifts.

If one it could know when I was downshifting and increase sensitivity
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
pandusr
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Roadster ESS CFR 525

You have to get used.
Use it always in sports and we make the habit.
I use my Z4M always in sports with kit ESS SEE CFR525 and 4.10.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Forgot about that button; must try it again in the spring...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Thanks boys - stabilize the foot - leave the Sport on - makes a difference - rock on !@
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Maybe do some footwork exercises with the car in neutral as well as in motion? Try to keep the rpm at a self-set point like maybe 1,500 --> 2,000 --> 2,500, etc. and hold for 5 seconds each time. Then repeat, so you become more and more familiar with that throttle pedal and its behavior. Foot control is pretty important IMHO...
I personally feel that spot mode is way too sensitive. Default is good enough, even at the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Pete C
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbvac View Post
IS there any way to increase the resistance on the gas pedal so it isn't as liable to go back and forth between more and less throttle. I know if you drive it like you stole it not a problem but if you are driving in front of a cop - that aint a good idea.
I don't know if your supercharger kit has a low load bypass like OEMs use but this would help and is sometimes even adjustable. It keeps the boost off until your foot is more into the throttle for fuel economy.

Something else to check is that no one has added a throttle pedal re-map device. This is a little box with a wiring plugin that fools the ECU into thinking you want more throttle popular with tuners.

I'm also a believer in BMW fuel additives (Techron) for keeping throttle & clutch engagement response smooth. Hope you enjoy the Springtime driving
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbvac View Post
Thanks boys - stabilize the foot - leave the Sport on - makes a difference - rock on !@
Why do you want sport on? on an M there's no reason to use the sport button unless you specifically want the extra short accelerator pedal.

On the non-m it stiffens up the steering, but on the M it only changes the accelerator.
      03-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I can't speak to a supercharged car, but on the stock setup I use the sport button 100% of the time. I like the sensitivity and got used to it quickly enough I know it doesn't do much, but to me the car feels more responsive with it on, like it's ready to pounce at a moments notice. It's fun, and heel-toe is much easier for me because I don't have to be into the pedal as much.

That said, some comfy shoes help. When I wear sandals or heavy loafers, I'm like a kangaroo out there. I've found my gym shoes work better than my "driving" shoes
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I could be wrong but not turning on the sport mode should fix the sensitivity of the gas pedal...isn't that the point of having the button there in the first place? Wasn't the idea behind the button so that the car was smoother to drive by smoothing out the throttle response? Does it really make anyone feel bad to not put the car into sport mode when you aren't trying to drive hard?