ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

M Coupes Down-Under..

Bloody hell... just googled prices in Oz for used M-coupes..

upwards of 45K Oz for a used stock versions, with varying miles on the clock. Bloody hell.... and no Imola coupes around atm..

Not that I am leaving now or in the *cough* near future, (unless they bring in the Tax they've been talking about here for the last few years).. but in the long run, probably retire back to Oz.. and if that's the case, Shipping my M coupe is going to provide for some un-entertaining issues. least of all will be the lack of pollution gear on my coupe...

that's not even looking into swapping the steering rack from left hand drive to the amount of stuff id have to change for Right hand drive... ofcourse unless I was able to find a wreaked m with the front in tact... <-- pretty unlikely...

So that would leave me with 2 options.. strip all my parts and sell here as stock and pretty much get F-all for it.

Or ship my car, look into swapping racks /or maybe possibly drive LHD over there.. ?? no idea about pollution laws over in Oz.

like I said, its no issue now, but just looking ahead.. what would you do?

cheers guys.. Krusty, looking for some input from you man
      02-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I'm pretty sure switching from LHD to RHD isn't an option (unless you're looking to spend ten of thousands of dollars). I can't say what Oz emissions regulations are but I would imagine at worst you'd need NA headers and section 1. Plenty of those floating around in garages so you should be able to find someone looking to free up the space. Hope it's that easy for you if you end up moving!
      02-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
timmay
Private
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

If you are going to move to Oz and can't find one there, it'd be much cheaper to find one from here in NZ and ship to Oz. Hard to come by of course, but here is one...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-829241532.htm

Still not Imola though!
      02-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Hi Vanne

According to BMW Australia, the number of Z4 coupes in Australia are:
* 3.0L Z4 coupes: 157 (auto and manuals combined)
* 3.2L Z4 M coupe: 103

One can probably drop these numbers by around 10 in each category to account for accidents and write-offs, and we are down to probably around 90 Ms and 145 3.0l coupes left in Australia.

On carsales.com.au at the moment, there are 15 Z4 coupes for sale. Of the 15, only 2 are Ms! That is disproportionately low. So it seems the M owners are hanging on to theirs more keenly than the 3.0L owners.

Changing from LHD to RHD sounds a nightmare. Importing it into Oz will be a nightmare and expensive. If I were you, I would strip all your goodies / mods out, sell the one in Dubai, and try get another one in Oz, and fit the goodies / mods back.

As to price:
You seem to think $45000 is a lot for a Z4 M coupe (no doubt compared to Dubai). However, remember that the first owner of a Z4M would have paid about A$125,000 to buy it when new. To pay 1/3 the price now, ... for basically the same car ... seems pretty good value to me. Or to put it differently, the resale value is very poor compared to say a Porsche Cayman of the same year which originally cost the same as the M, but sell for more now.

To your advantage as a buyer: I don't think the market accurately reflects the rarity of the Z4 coupe in Australia. Part of the problem is that the RTA and the insurance companies don't have a separate model listing for the COUPE version. They just lump us in together with the roadster as an E85 ... which I think forces the same valuations on to everyone. Roadsters show their age more quickly - the fabric tops deteriorate in the sun, the inside gets exposed more, they tend to look more sun-aged than coupes. And we coupe owners get averaged out with them.

One day the market will wake up.

Last edited by krusty; 02-23-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

You can always buy a Z4 M Coupe in the UK and get it shipped to Australia. You can find one in the UK for around 15000-20000£.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
If I were you, I would strip all your goodies / mods out, sell the one in Dubai, and try get another one in Oz, and fit the goodies / mods back.
The only sane option.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Thx guys, everyone, very much appreciated for the feedback.
Shipping the car itself isn't going to be an issue as when I leave here, ill have to get a 40 foot container anyways, so it will fit in quite nicely.

is it possible to drive the car as is in Oz (import as personal property) as a left hand drive car? (only looking at this option as I have pretty much refurbed this whole car from top to bottom) I know in NSW there are tons of American imports driving around with just a sticker on the rear saying "LHD"

Its not the original buyout price that worries me, its just that ive spent nearly the same amount on refurbing this car than I bought the car for, which I know ill get nothing back for. The list is pretty extensive, with only pretty much the waterpump and the rod bearings to go. (planned later in may)..

So if at all possible, id like to hang on to this car, I know its complete history and previously belonged to another enthusiast, its been in a few car magazines and besides the cash, probably spent way to much time on it, spannering in my garage.

Krusty, thanks for your numbers mate, that's actually a lot more M's than I thought. Ive seen 1 M driving around in Adelaide (a few weeks ago) and ive seen a few 3.0's in Perth. Pretty special looking cars, no wonder old mate in Oz are holding onto theirs.

Luckily I have time on my side, might have to have a look at the Australian RTA website, if it has any info in importing a private car...