ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Running rear wheels on front, 275mm wide with -3.5º camber

It rubs.

There, I said it. It absolutely rubs. But I don't care. It rubs when the steering wheels are at or near full lock. I noticed it pulling into the parking lot at the hotel we were staying at (calling it a hotel would be a stretch, IMO). When you have to make a sharp turn to get into a tight parking spot, I'm pretty sure it rubs the inside fender liner. At the track, since I was able to take a much wider line into my parking space, I never noticed the "issue" until I pulled in to the hotel.

However, driving it on the freeway and most street use, plus driving it on track, there's no sign of rubb-age. It only happens when pulling into and out of parking spaces.

So there you go. The 275mm up front on ET30 9" wide wheels...Phenomenal for the track, not quite so friendly on street. In fact, I'll switch back to my 245s on Falken Azenis RT-615K running on Alpina Dynamics Replicas for street use, and only swap back to the 275 Maxxis RC-1 on OEM rears for track use, and just let it rub 4 times a day pulling in and out of parking spaces at the hotel.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

WORTH IT.

That is all.

As long as you're not rubbing under high compression (aka a turn) then IMO there is no need to worry.

Eventually some rub with the inner fender liner, it'll make room
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
WORTH IT.

That is all.

As long as you're not rubbing under high compression (aka a turn) then IMO there is no need to worry.

Eventually some rub with the inner fender liner, it'll make room
Truth.

No rub going through the bowl (turn 13) under load. If it doesn't rub there? It won't rub anywhere on track.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Questions. Can you not fit wider wheels up front, as 275 is seemingly not ideal for 9" wide wheels? Would you be better off fitting 255 or 245s on front since the 275s will be pinched? Or does it still benefit?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
Questions. Can you not fit wider wheels up front, as 275 is seemingly not ideal for 9" wide wheels? Would you be better off fitting 255 or 245s on front since the 275s will be pinched? Or does it still benefit?
Ideally, 9.5" wide rims are what's recommended for the 275mm wide tires. However, I don't live in an ideal world.

I test fitted a set of rear wheels on the front and discovered that with moderate negative camber I can run the same wheel and offset all around. So I picked up another set of rears from a forum member here and that was that. It was the most affordable solution in which I know for SURE that it would fit without needing to shell out big bucks for a new set of rims and then have to run spacers and then have to run ridiculous camber to make it work.

Plus, when I test fitted the rear 9" wide rims up front, there's maybe only about 3mm worth of clearance from the rims to the struts. Running a 9.5" wide rim would mean I would have to have the right offset AND it may still rub the outside fender

This "compromise" allowed me to rotate the tires front and back to extend their life, and ensure a proper fit without having to experiment more or spend more than I want to.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
z4msteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I haven't noticed any rubbing with the same setup and 265 nt05s. Could the maxxis 275 run a little wide?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
The HACK
Rep

R comps typically run wider than street tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
The HACK
Rep

Man these tires let me get away with murder. As in murdering what constitutes driving skills. Oh my god, I can do WHATEVER I WANT mid corner and it just shrugs and goes. It is so damn sticky it exposed a problem with my shocks up front...But we'll save that story for later.

It gives enough of a warning to make catching slides and oversteers easy too. As I was reviewing my video from Friday @ Buttonwillow in 100º+ heat, I noticed I caught a couple of oversteers but didn't remember doing that while I was driving, which suggest to me that the tires were giving enough cues as to when it's going to let go that I was able to anticipate and correct subconsciously without getting overwhelmed. The release was not as abrupt as say, the Hoosier R6es that I ran on the Subaru WRX (luckily, on the WRX it'll release the front tires first and you get that nice "hop" in the front end rather than the rear end).

But it lets me get away with murder. It's like a get out of jail free car for doing stupid things on track. Oh you turned in too early? Nah, you're just shortening the line and defending the corner. Turn in more than usual because you blew a corner trying something dumb, like trying to trail-brake all the way up to the apex at Sunset and transition immediately to throttle? Tire just goes "hey did you just graduate from D class?" and make a slight rumble and just goes. ZERO drama.

Super easy to drive and drive damn fast. Almost too easy. I did notice that in 100º+ heat, probably not the smartest idea to start at 30psi cold in the morning, as it heats up quick and gets to ~39psi hot easily, which is probably way above it's ideal operating hot pressure.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-450-107-victra-rc-1
Appreciate 0