ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Z4 Wont Hold A Charge

Okay I have read the other post but none seem to be able to answer my problem, here we go. Came out the other morning and tried to start the car nothing. Wife had to jump me with her TOYOTA..she really thought that was funny. Anyways went to work came out turned her over twice, and no problems. Second day same damn problem. So wife jumped me again, I took off the positive terminal..car didn't die kept right on going. Got to work Started her again twice with in 4 hours. No problem. Went to start her the third day..dead. So I went and ordered new battery. Started it she ran like a champ. Went to go to the gym..dead as a dog. This is a brand new battery no problems. Wife jumped me(LAUGHING AGAIN)...so I let her run. Did notice this time. Lights dimmed, so i removed the Positive terminal to see if she would cut off or even if the light would die. No problem..took her for a spin....lights radio everything on...so i brought her back home and disconnected the battery..I'm afraid if I continue to jump her the CPU might burn out..to be blunt I love my car but I'm really getting sick of what it cost me in time and emotion to drive the roundel around...My wifes toyota has just been awesome....any ideas.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Sounds like something is drawing current from the battery ofter the key is off. Connect an amp meter inline with the battery. If there is more than a few hundredths of an amp with the key off, start pulling fuses until you find the culprit. From there, more info would be needed to diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Parasitic current draw like pungo said or maybe your alternator?
      01-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I agree with bosstones, it sounds like an alternator issue to me. With the car running, you should be seeing 13+ volts coming from your alt to your battery

I can definitely relate to your frustration with the car, I've had 2 z4's and they've both had their share of issues. You gotta pay to play
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
pelerojo
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M

You said it was a new battery. Clean and tighen your terminal connections.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Sounds like something is drawing current from the battery ofter the key is off. Connect an amp meter inline with the battery. If there is more than a few hundredths of an amp with the key off, start pulling fuses until you find the culprit. From there, more info would be needed to diagnose.
Wow I totally forgot to say this..after I cut the car off...coming form the left door area I keep hearing this. fump fump noise like the door lock is cycling or
the ventilation system is still pumping air, I will go check the fuse's now.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

Went out checked the fuses for the central lock and AC system..now it's gone..the shump shump noise...took it to my Mechanic..he's checking now..will see and keep you informed
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

133 views ..wow..to all who gave me some input thanks a bunch..it did help
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

keep us posted on what the issue is. I know that this vehicle has a control unit under the center console and if it gets wet man does it cause a tremendous amount of issues but not ever heard of the door lock cycling issue. I had my E85 for three years and didnt experience anything like this. When i battery died it went fast and acted very weird. But once i replaced it it ran strong again. It does sound like i would be concerned of the Altrenator but not likely since it dies after some time of non use.
      01-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

UPDATE UPDATE...Okay took my Z4 to the shop...they kept it for two days..they did the positive terminal check and all that crap..checked the alt, said she was running. So they let her sit over night came back she started. So they kept it for one more day still no problem, they called my wife. Guess how much they charged me just to check it.........$0.00..nothing..I was like awesome. BMW ARE YOU READING THIS. Now for the shump shump sound...I took out the fuse for the central lock, and the AC..guess what no more shump shuump sound...they figure that was killing the battery..it must have just caught the flu or something but I got the idea about checking the fuses from you guys..thanks a lot....all is better.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JEDI View Post
UPDATE UPDATE...Okay took my Z4 to the shop...they kept it for two days..they did the positive terminal check and all that crap..checked the alt, said she was running. So they let her sit over night came back she started. So they kept it for one more day still no problem, they called my wife. Guess how much they charged me just to check it.........$0.00..nothing..I was like awesome. BMW ARE YOU READING THIS. Now for the shump shump sound...I took out the fuse for the central lock, and the AC..guess what no more shump shuump sound...they figure that was killing the battery..it must have just caught the flu or something but I got the idea about checking the fuses from you guys..thanks a lot....all is better.
So are you saying you put the fuses back in and the shump shump sound went away? Maybe a module was in a bad state and removing the fuse reset it?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

I guess that's what it was..she's running fine now time to wash her.....awesome day in Japan
Appreciate 0