ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Quick run down

Can someone give me a quick run down on the difference in maintenance cost for the M roadster and Z4. Been searching for a bit but couldnt really find an answer.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasaline View Post
Can someone give me a quick run down on the difference in maintenance cost for the M roadster and Z4. Been searching for a bit but couldnt really find an answer.
Thanks
Biggest difference is cost of Inspection I and II. The S54 powered ///M calls for a valve clearance check/adjustment which will run you about $400 on top of the Z4 Inspection I and II cost.
Oil changes cost more due to required Castrol TWS 10W-60 for the S54.
Motorsport brake pads and rotors cost more too. The cross-drilled ///M rotors run about $300 each for fronts and $250 for rears compared to $60 each fronts and $75 rears for the Z4.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Biggest difference is cost of Inspection I and II. The S54 powered ///M calls for a valve clearance check/adjustment which will run you about $400 on top of the Z4 Inspection I and II cost.
Huh? The valve adjustment is part of the inspection I & II, so it's included in the (exhorbitant) cost. My local stealership here in the Phoenix area charges $759.95 for I-1, and an outrageous $1449.95 for I-2. The latter figure is hideous because the only additional items it adds over the I-1 service are tranny & diff fluid changes, spark plugs, and air filter.. that's it, and for that you pay almost $700.

I'll find a local indy mechanic to do the work for much less before paying prices like that.
      07-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Oil changes cost more due to required Castrol TWS 10W-60 for the S54.
Motorsport brake pads and rotors cost more too. The cross-drilled ///M rotors run about $300 each for fronts and $250 for rears compared to $60 each fronts and $75 rears for the Z4.

Thanks for the run down... I cant really justify all the cost differences in maintenances that you have listed above. Im thinking that tires will probably wear out more quickly and are more expensive to replace as well.
How long do the tread on the tires for a M last?

Once again thanks for your input. You have made my choice to look into the non-M Z4 easier; as my initial choice was a M.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

Everything seems to cost double what it would on a standard Z. Oil change costs were the biggest shock to me. I think you are doing the right thing by checking out the prices. A oil change in Germany is about 210 euro. With current exchange rate that is just under $300.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasaline View Post
Thanks for the run down... I cant really justify all the cost differences in maintenances that you have listed above. Im thinking that tires will probably wear out more quickly and are more expensive to replace as well.
How long do the tread on the tires for a M last?

Once again thanks for your input. You have made my choice to look into the non-M Z4 easier; as my initial choice was a M.
Tire cost mostly comes down to the choice of what tire you put on - the sizes of the M and upper model Z's are similar, the lower model Z's that use 17" (or even 16") wheels would be a bit cheaper, though if one continues to use the run flat tires that are standard on the non-M's they're about the most expensive tires you can find.

Fuel consumption on the M's is somewhat heavier as well - the price for the added fun.
Appreciate 0