ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Does anyone have the plug part number to make extensions in the middle that just plug in?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

does this affect the the idle at all ? or will it kill MPG?
      06-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstar9 View Post
does this affect the the idle at all ? or will it kill MPG?
Idle is slightly louder and gas mileage will probably suffer due to having your foot in it more to hear the sound.

Is that your wife in the picture?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Is that your wife in the picture?

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

David, do you have a part number or can you tell me where you got the clips you used on the heat shield?
      07-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #28
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

Okay guys I have stromung mufflers, FAB Speed headers & Active Autowerks tune. Everything is working great! No CELs -Awesome sound! (This is what a MZ4 should sound like). One minor problem when I let off the throttle at slower speeds it sounds like a muted back fire. Does anyone else car do this?
      07-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #29
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urluz3n View Post
Okay guys I have stromung mufflers, FAB Speed headers & Active Autowerks tune. Everything is working great! No CELs -Awesome sound! (This is what a MZ4 should sound like). One minor problem when I let off the throttle at slower speeds it sounds like a muted back fire. Does anyone else car do this?
Any audio clips? I'm going to be installing almost exactly the same setup.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #30
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
David, do you have a part number or can you tell me where you got the clips you used on the heat shield?
Attached Images

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #31
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Hah. I guessed right. Thanks for the confirmation, David.
      02-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #32
e46m3harry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwschnell View Post
Great video jumosock! I've been looking all over. I know you can buy o2 bungs from Turner, but where can you buy an EGT bung to weld into the stock s pipe?
same here! i bet i looked for months before i installed my headers/euro cats a year or so ago..

i just kind of stuck it in there and hoped nothing came lose or fell onto the pipes.

i was just recently researching this again and was directed to this thread by a kind user.

i bet i searched 10 or so terms, but i dont think i searched "rewiring" once!

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #33
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Thank you for the videos, especially the last one. They were very helpful when I did this.

I couldn't get my one O2 wire into any of the clips but it reached and have done over 100km with no issues. Also scanned the ECU with Torque app and no codes. Hope it stays that way.

I think I saw you write somewhere else on here that you were going to try get the other O2 wire and plug it in. Wonder if any difference between the two. Cause one of the wires is super long and the other just barely makes it.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
I think I saw you write somewhere else on here that you were going to try get the other O2 wire and plug it in. Wonder if any difference between the two. Cause one of the wires is super long and the other just barely makes it.
I think the only difference is the slight length difference. I'll report back after I've made the change and driven around a while... but that won't be till later this year.

Update: The plugs are different on the two rear O2 sensors. I tried to swap out the plugs on my old wires just to see if I could do it... and it's DOABLE but you might ruin the plug a little in the process so it's not advisable.

Last edited by Jumbosock; 07-22-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #35
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep

After more than 2 years the wiring that was close to the exhaust was still good and not damaged by the exhaust. I recently added a zip tie to help hold it up and out of the way (only because I was down there changing the other O2 sensor).

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #36
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
After more than 2 years the wiring that was close to the exhaust was still good and not damaged by the exhaust. I recently added a zip tie to help hold it up and out of the way (only because I was down there changing the other O2 sensor).
I just looked back at this recently as I'm installing my set this weekend. I was kind of curious what the outcome would have been for the proximity of that wiring. Glad to hear that these things pretty well hold their own!

Can't thank you enough for this write up.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #37
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster

video

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. the videos don't run for me. they just appear as an image.
need to view these as I've just taken delivery of csl headers and euro section 1 pipes.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #38
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

works for me....
pics are a link to Photobucket video
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #39
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

does the video work from your mobile phone, or must I view them from my pc.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #40
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Has anyone installed the euro (or aftermarket header) but gone to an aftermarket cat setup to help with the placement of the O2 sensors??

I guess what's going through my mind is I have the euro header, but I'm not too crazy about cutting up the secondary cats portion. The euro cats are crazy expensive. Wondering if going to a custom setup for the cats would be more cost effective as well as helping out with the wiring due to placement of the sensor bungs.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #41
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Has anyone installed the euro (or aftermarket header) but gone to an aftermarket cat setup to help with the placement of the O2 sensors??

I guess what's going through my mind is I have the euro header, but I'm not too crazy about cutting up the secondary cats portion. The euro cats are crazy expensive. Wondering if going to a custom setup for the cats would be more cost effective as well as helping out with the wiring due to placement of the sensor bungs.

Thoughts?
That is what the DKF section 1 GB was all about a few years ago.
Unfortunately that's no longer an option, so custom is what it would take.

Modifying the OE section one is definitely the easiest and most cost effective solution.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post

Thoughts?
There was a modified NA section 1 in the for sale section last week. Don't know if it sold or went to the scrap yard yet though.
      09-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #43
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
I just looked back at this recently as I'm installing my set this weekend. I was kind of curious what the outcome would have been for the proximity of that wiring. Glad to hear that these things pretty well hold their own!

Can't thank you enough for this write up.
I think it would've been fine. I added the zip tie just because it was so easy to do so.

Update: I replaced the rear O2 sensor (because it went bad) and did not use any extra zip ties and everything held up fine for many years.

Last edited by Jumbosock; 05-16-2022 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #44
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Help - Electrical issue

I've completed the installation of the CSL headers and euro section 1. The job was done exactly as described by Jumbosock (which was very well described). I also purchased and installed new o2 sensors for pre and post cats.
I did nothing else and am satisfied that the job was done correctly. The battery was disconnected during the process, on a trickle charger and is fully charged.
Tried to start the car and I get clicks from the starter, nothing else. My Peake code reader indicates that there are no faults. I did go ahead and clear/reset it. Again, nothing but clicks from the starter.
I must have bumped or did something and would appreciate any thoughts.

EDIT: My error. False alarm. Just corrected some corrosion on the negative terminal. A bit of sandpaper and she is purring perfectly. Thanks to all.

Last edited by Hedward; 07-23-2017 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: fault corrected
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50