ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #45
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Looks like the one.
They say "Ships in 5 days" which really means "out of stock".
Check getBMWparts and thebmwminipartstore.
      10-11-2015, 12:04 AM   #46
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I got mine off ebay atlantic bmw in nj, free shipping, came in a huge box @ 32 bucks

ecs quotes my shipping at 9 bucks
      10-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #47
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

opps, ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/181767253744
      11-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #48
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

just noticed this morning that about 3-4 inches of the windshield trim is gone. should i be concerned about a leak while i wait for the new part?

thanks for the dyi
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #49
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

It's not a seal, just trim. No worries.
The windshield is glued on.

Just noticed last week my cowling is cracking again.
      11-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #50
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I just picked up a new strip for $35 shipped with a lifetime warranty. We'll see if the company is still around in 5 years to get a new one via warranty. I think the chances are greater that I will not have the Moupe in 5 years but I'll file away the warranty just in case.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #51
RedDotRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4mc

Just ordered mine too. Window trim party in SD?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #52
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock
I just picked up a new strip for $35 shipped with a lifetime warranty. We'll see if the company is still around in 5 years to get a new one via warranty. I think the chances are greater that I will not have the Moupe in 5 years but I'll file away the warranty just in case.
Which supplier?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #53
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Which supplier?
+1 ???
Didn't know there were any alternatives.
I did an OE replacement a year ago and the corners split within 6 months.
I think the one I got was very old stock. (Maybe a lot of the OE are)

I would be interested in trying an alternative
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #54
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ld-51317017021

It's supposed to be OE. Lifetime warranty is perfect if these things can split at 1yr.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #55
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Freaking hard to get back in.. still unsuccessful at this stage.. thinking of leaving it out, already wreaked a new one, I've got the 2nd new one now, but looking at it, its not gonna go in without a serious fight.. not sure i wanna risk cracking the windscreen... and looks very cool without it, (I've used the side parts for my new one) just leaving out the top strip, makes it look like the rear glass on the coupe, so not out of place.
      12-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #56
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep

I haven't tried installing the new one but if its too tight even after clearing out the old glue I would consider shaving down the underside of the new trim for ease of install.

Last edited by Jumbosock; 12-03-2015 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #57
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Got my trim replaced yesterday, put mine in the camp of "totally not as easy as I would have liked". The original broke into pieces on trying to pull it out, and the top driver corner was way tighter than the rest.

Putting the new one in was not simple, it required hooking the metal C channel down and onto the glass then using a thin trim panel tool to push the rubber flap on the roofline-side of the trim down into the channel. After that it was ok, but it was done about 5mm at a time.

Top corners are not sitting down well and both bulge up a bit. I'm debating throwing a thin bead of Permatex windshield sealant down along the edges of the top section then taping it down until it cures. I'm worried it might damage the paint though, so more debate and research is needed still.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #58
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

I used a plastic drywall spatula to help push it down.. yeah it hard to do by hand
      06-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #59
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Thanks very much everyone for sharing your experiences. I'm facing this task next.

I did the DS door seal (a bit of a bear), halo bulbs (not hard once I figured out the first one), and cabin air filter (mind the arrow, just go ahead and flex it) last weekend; if I had known this was as straightforward as it sounds I would have just kept going and done this too.

What's up with German rubber bits wearing out so soon anyway? Doesn't this stuff last for 20 years or so on most cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #60
jeffsnavely
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 3.0si Coupe auto

I also had a lot of trouble with this, cracked windshield

About 6 inches of the top strip near the A pillar was very hard to pull out so I expected it to be hard to put the new one in. I could not get the new seal to seat in this area even with taps from a rubber mallet on a wood piece, standing on the car and pushing straight down etc. I knew the windshield would have to be removed and I eventually cracked it from aggressive pounding.
The glass replacement guys just installed the new seal on the glass before putting in the car. I paid out of pocket and was only $335 for a new windshield installed (with rain sensor).

I did provide a new seal which I highly recommend buying at the dealer vs mail order -- I ordered one from FCP Euro and it cane torn at one of the corners. They sent me a replacement which was in way worse shape - crammed in a box not big enough so both corners were torn and the center was bent in a U to fit in the box making lots of lumpy areas along the top edge of the seal. I returned for a refund and bought at the dealer.
I'm in the DC area and Passport BMW quoted me $44 but was out of stock. Alexandria BMW matched the price (first said $72!) when I mentioned Passport. They actually run me up at about $41 so was about the same price as the mail order one anyway with shipping.
This part damages easily so save yourself the risk and buy from the dealer - be sure to inspect it before buying -- look at the side edges about an inch down from the top windshield header area (the vertical side strips) - there's a spot that can tear easily if the side rails are bent in for storage.
Appreciate 1
XMetal1096.50
      08-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #61
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

I did mine a year or so ago. Its a hassle and your fingers will hurt after its all said and done. But, I'm glad to be rid of the cracked rubber confetti that sometimes came into the cabin and the exterior looks much more dignified without the cracked up weatherstripping.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #62
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

I saw that its been 5-6 years since I replaced mine. I actually ordered a new one 2 months ago, waiting for the summer heat to go away.. my first replacement (2015) has since slowly disintegrate. At least its cheap.