ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #221
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

lol i smelled something fishy
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #222
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
lol i smelled something fishy
no, I smelled something fishy and warned u all. things that sound too good to be true usually are.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #223
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matjo View Post
Is there any soundclip on the BMS exhaust?
-LOL, yeah, a few.

This is the website for my M Coupe, it has most of the info contained in my Bimmerfest thread but without the comments and discussion from other owners. Pics of the exhaust are in the power section (Mod #33).
http://www.mymcoupe.com

My Bimmerfest thread, it's a very long read but contains a lot of good details:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185835

Direct links to BMS exhaust vids:
http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...ha/Outside.wmv
http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...tha/In-car.wmv
http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...t/BMWvsBMS.wmv
http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...ain-WinPor.wmv
http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...willow-VHS.wmv
Short drifting vid from Cal Speedway, my car is the third one (with BMS exhaust):
http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...fting-1Mps.wmv
      07-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #224
Zoomby_U
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

Hello Azndavid85,

Aside from the fitment issues, how's the sound and any butt dyno feedback? Sound clips would be awesome as well! Hopefully it's just an alignment/adjustment issue and not a design flaw!

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #225
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Ok. All of you take a look at how your stock exhaust hangs. I have a pic of mine I am looking at and they do not hang exactly the same on both sides. On mine the right muffler is more left of center stock. Also, the tips on the stock exhaust look smaller than the tips on the Stromung.

But the real question is, how do they sound?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #226
Dieselino
Captain
Rep
Drives: 03 LSB M3 06 M coupe 08 M3 SG

Im not going to throw the baby out of the bath water yet. From the sound clips it sounded pretty good. Also any experienced exhaust shop can make it fit how you want, yes it may require some modification which I do understand shouldnt have to happen on a new exhaust. But then again the exhaust isnt $1000 or more like some of the others. Im not trying to make excuses for it, I dont want to judge the product untill I see it for myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #227
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
Ok. All of you take a look at how your stock exhaust hangs. I have a pic of mine I am looking at and they do not hang exactly the same on both sides. On mine the right muffler is more left of center stock.
-It's not supposed to, get it fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselino View Post
Also any experienced exhaust shop can make it fit how you want, yes it may require some modification which I do understand shouldnt have to happen on a new exhaust.
-If the hanging problem is due to jigging (construction) errors and not simply installation error (pray that it is), then it will be very difficult to simply "make it fit". Essentially you would have to cut and refit whatever's wrong on-the-fly with no benefit of prior experience with the exhaust or jigs. When you change one dimension, say moving a muffler to the left, you then have to cut and replace (with a new custom bent tube) that muffler's inlet tube or else it will shift back when tightened. And you now have non-production welding to trust and no product warranty. And if the tips look right when a muffler's in the wrong place, you can be assured the tips will look wrong when the muffler's moved to the right place. Cutting a re-welding staggered parallel quad tips without a jig is very, very difficult. I've been down this road before, observing the long prototyping process for the BMS exhaust. IF you want a product to be perfect in the end, it is critical to jig it perfectly before it goes out the door.
      07-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #228
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

If you fellows are looking for alternatives, I can tell you the Supersprint Sport mufflers sound great and are beautifully constructed. You can get the cans from Leather Z for a pretty stupid price too. BMS sounds good too.

Good luck everyone.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #229
azndavid85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M coupe

hey guys,
Just spoke to scoot regard to my muffler fitment issue and had sent him pic through email. he told me he will take a look of the picture this weekend and work on it. I know alot of people wondering the sounding of this muffler, i think it sounds pretty good for the money we spent on it.(deep tone). But hepefully we can take care the fitment issue asap!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #230
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

i've seen / heard zeddy's at a meet... both fitment and sound of his exhaust was great...

i think the muffler shop just needs to adjust / redo the install

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #231
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991.1S, G05 X5 50i, LR Disco

Wow - looks like a lot of people don't really want this product to succeed.
      07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #232
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Not sure it's a matter of wanting it to succeed...sounds like Stromung has jumped ship.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #233
azndavid85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M coupe

Went to meet up with scoot this morning reagard to the muffler fitment issue, it looks like it was due to installation imperfection. Since the muffler was off-center and hanging kinda too low so he helped me to re-adjust both muffers to make as close as possible. after readjusting, i am pretty satisfiy for the money i paid. The sound is great, not too loud which i like.
Here are some picture..

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #234
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Now that looks MUCH better. Tips are still a bit on the small side, but honestly, it still looks great imo!

You have any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #235
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
Now that looks MUCH better. Tips are still a bit on the small side, but honestly, it still looks great imo!

You have any sound clips?
Personally, I think the size looks just right. Very nice! Can't wait to get mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #236
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The right side tips are slightly too far to the right, but by a very small amount. Looks MUCH better than before Still need to do something about the weld discoloration.
      07-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #237
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Not sure the weld discoloration is that big of a deal considering it is hardly noticeable unless one is specifically looking for it..

I'm happy you were able to get the exhaust mounted properly. Although I have pulled out of the GB, i'm glad others appear to be receiving a decent product at an amazing price.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #238
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I thought it was a fitment issue; these types of issues generally are - especially since the exhaust is made by an established manufacturer, not some putz with a welder, lift and metal.

The exhaust looks like it's sitting ok, and the weld marks are not a big deal IMO, especially for the price. That's just nit-picking.
      07-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #239
Dieselino
Captain
Rep
Drives: 03 LSB M3 06 M coupe 08 M3 SG

This thread is no different then any of the other threads I experienced on the E46 M3 forums. For some reason when it comes to exhausts people are very quick to bash or dismiss anything that isnt from Eisemann or Supersprint etc. Fact of the matter is you dont need to spend an arm and leg to get a quality product. Yes you do get what you pay for but $1500 for a set of stainless steel cans is highway robbery. Kinda reminds of the old Ebay headers for $150, everyone said they were crap and insisted you needed to spend over a grand to get gains, then all of a sudden the tone changed with some dyno plots.

Im glad you got the exhaust problem taken care of and Im glad you are happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #240
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This thread is no different then any of the other threads I experienced on the E46 M3 forums. For some reason when it comes to exhausts people are very quick to bash or dismiss anything that isnt from Eisemann or Supersprint etc.
-Actually, I regularly bash Eisemann and Supersprint because they produce crap (bad fitment, breakages due to weak metal/welds). Not every time, and not for every BMW application, but often enough that even in my short existence "behind the curtain" in the BMW tuning industry I've seen enough that I would not recommend either company's products. They both have great reputations, but neither deserves them IMO. Time will sort it out.

Quote:
Fact of the matter is you dont need to spend an arm and leg to get a quality product. Yes you do get what you pay for but $1500 for a set of stainless steel cans is highway robbery.
-I can't speak to others, but I happen to know the cost breakdown for BMS's exhaust. And you are paying only a few hundred dollars for the materials (including the x-pipe). Most of the cost is labor (the tips in particular are really tricky and time consuming to get perfect, the x-pipe is scratch built, etc.). There's actually very little margin in the product, and it all goes into paying down the expense of the R&D.
      07-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #241
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

With respect Palantirion, I find the retail cost of the [Insert either of Supersprint, Eisemann or BMS, et al] exhausts vis-à-vis the product and "R&D" costs laughable. Now, I know that you insist that BMS is a superior product and you may well be right. However, I would be content to not spend the cash on any exhaust for this car, given the level of my disgust at what I consider to be outrageous retail prices.

This is not a dig against you, or BMS specifically. I have bought exhaust systems, many superbly made, for a number of cars and I know a bit about raw material R&D and labour costs in general - the last two are the most variable and contentious in this case. This is why I am happy that a company has stepped up to make an affordable exhaust, which they developed themselves; i.e. they did not use someone else’s muffler, etc (this is not an insinuation). It also mildly annoys me when people will take digs against something for what appear to be sour grapes, snobbery and/or vested interest in something else.

If you would like to provide a cost breakdown, I would be most appreciative. However, I know that will never happen. Thus, I remain a sceptic. This is not simply because I feel like being a contrarian. Part of my job is analysing corporate financials and building detailed models based on them - thus, I am familiar with general cost decompositions in industrial fabrication and will go with my semi-educated opinion; unless more granularity is provided.

Cheers
      07-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #242
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

HOW MUCH FOR THE EXHAUST? I have a exhaust guy that can fix any fitment issues
Appreciate 0