ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Gregoryse
Private
Malta
Rep
Drives: wiesmannGT5

Unhappy Help me decide. :(

Hi everybody!

It's a pleasure to finally create a account here, even if it was a PAIN IN THE ASS to do so. Since the site thought I was using some kind of bot IP or something it claimed I was behind a proxy and that I had other intentions with my account.... So I had to use my torrent proxy just to register and make the site think I lived in france......

Anyhow, I'm here now, after years of lurking without an actuall account.

I've driven a 2.8 z3 coupe before, I had a blast with that car. The handling was great, and the engine was really impressing even though it wasn't a 3.2. I always liked BMW, the feel for quality and driving pleasure, oh and the great communities just like this one or the mboards... is great.

I've always dreamed about a z4m (coupe of course..), I've sat in some of them (never driven one yet) and the interior and the small steering wheel with the "rubber" feel... the carbon interior... It's always been so great in my eyes. And, theres so much that I can do with it, brakes... suspension and by changing seats for some recaro ones doesnt really lower the "looks" either in a car like this. What I mean is, there are so much possibilities with this car much because of the huge communities.

After a year I felt like my z3 coupe was getting old. I loved the car, the curves made me wet sometimes! But honestly, it was now 13 years old. I started to search for a new car. I always had a eye on a z4m coupe. I was so close one time but unfortunately the car dealer that had it was a moron, but thats another story.

Okay okay.. I shall get to the point.... I bought a 2007 Mercedes SLK 55 AMG, 360 BHP 5.5L V8, convertible. It's 7 gear automatic with paddles on the steering wheel, 0-60 in 4.9s. Had the car for 3 months.... Custom exhaust sounds like a BEAST.

But I'm not feeling good about this. I love the slk 55 somehow, thats a car people look at, and it's a fast car. However... It's a old man's car... right? Is this a car a 20 year old should drive...? I can't take that to a track...... I cant even disable ESP in it... And to be honest, I can't do much to it either. Why would I replace the 340 mm 6 piston AMG brakes that already is on it.... Why would I put recaro seats in it... I can't wrap it in carbon fiber foil... it doesnt feel right... lol why would I replace the diffuser or the front lip... It already looks like it does, nothing can be done to it... and it still looks like a old slk 200 or all the other models they've made if you dont count the 4 exhaust pipes and the amg badge on the trunk... Oh and people keep telling me, its luxery and comfort... but come on... I sat more comfortable in the z3.

Still, the slk 55 is a nice car and I like it. Guys seriously it sounds like the voice of god. Being a convertible it's already a better car according to my parents (that often borrows it when I don't use it... with their grey hair.) or the girlfriend.

I've spotted a black 2007 z4m coupe, 7000 miles on it... carbon interior with all the extras... Fuck... what if I buy it and get disappointed in some day and start missing the slk.... I'm going to look at the z4 on monday and see how it feels. Perhaps they let me test drive it if the weather allows it, since its pretty rare with those miles on it I doubt they will especially with the poor weather we have here in Sweden at the moment. I think the reason for why I feel this way is cause I've never driven the z4. I really don't want to get disappointed when it comes to power. The bad thing is that I'm getting used to the v8 in the SLK by every day that passes. But then I'm thinking, what the heck, I'm still going to put in a ESS supercharger and full supersprint exhausts...

I'm feeling retarded writing this. I keep writing and writing.... I have a nice car why would I bother messing about changing car already and to loose 14000 USD upon doing so...

Sorry by making you read all of this.

Best regards, Greg.

Last edited by Gregoryse; 07-10-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The moment you drive it, you will know.

....one way or the other it will let you know.
There is no middle ground with this car. You will love it ....or not.

I knew within 5seconds that the M was a car I HAD to have.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^WHS
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Well the car you have has more power but its how much power can a car actually handle at the wheels. And how do you feel driving it. Just drive it dude! You will know.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Maybe I missed something; how are you out $14,000?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

^What they said.

Seriously, it may sound strange, but a lot of us feel that exact way. I knew from the moment I first saw one in 2006 that I wanted to own this car. I never drove one until I started test driving them when I finally saved up the cash to buy one straight up. Once I drove it...the thoughts of looking at other cars at the same time (Cayman, M3, etc.) disappeared and I knew I'd search until I found the right one.

You'll know...you'll either love it, or not be impressed by it...but at least you'll know!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
MB = rider's car
BMW = driver's car

there's nothing posh about a z4 in any trim. it's spartan and hard, and entirely demanding of the driver's senses. if you like the way it feels to be in your MB, you'll most likely dislike the feel of a z4.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

You will hate the z4m!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 15 i3, 17 M3 Frz Wht

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i  [7.00]
lol funny guy :P

good points from everyone! i knew i wanted a z4m before i test drove as well. helps that im a bmw fanboy...ive convinced nearly everyone around me to buy bmw...lol.

test drive the car! if you are a driver you will like it! if you just want a sweet looking ride that goes fast and feels comfy you may be lookin at the wrong car.

let us know how it goes!
      07-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

It's always the same ... do I want a GT car or a track car?
The AMG sounds great, I know cause a friend had one ... and I can understand why someone buys it, but the M Coupe is different game. You decide really, do you want the absolute corrupt power or the agility? Do you wanna track your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishman View Post
Maybe I missed something; how are you out $14,000?
I assume he has either been offered 14K less for a trade in by the dealer selling the Z4M or he has an offer 14K less than he paid for it. If it has only been 3 mths it sounds like you overpaid for the SLK55.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

nothing in the benz will feel equivalent to a 6 speed gearbox and a third pedal
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Gregoryse
Private
Malta
Rep
Drives: wiesmannGT5

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. I've now booked a test drive on monday. Hopefully it doesn't rain too much by then, the weather here in Sweden at the moment is awful. Dry roads would be nice but I doubt it.

I think the dealer hardly want to throw in any extra cash payment by trading my SLK in for a cheaper car. I bet he will offer me as close trade as possible, which will suck. However, it's up to the dealer to come with a nice offer. If I like the z4m I sure hope this will work out.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

I used to buy/sell cars every 6 months until recently. The Z4M + cheap daily is a great combination you will love it. Even if you miss the comfort of the slk get a cheap reliable quiet daily driver and you are set.
      07-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Skuronen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
As everyone said...the car will inform you quickly whether you are right for each other. Get what YOU want...not what your parents or girlfriend want would be my only advice. Good luck...sounds like you already in a win win situation!
      07-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
Nv Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
MB = rider's car
BMW = driver's car

there's nothing posh about a z4 in any trim. it's spartan and hard, and entirely demanding of the driver's senses. if you like the way it feels to be in your MB, you'll most likely dislike the feel of a z4.
Maybe true for the Z4M, but my 2012 35is is anything but spartan and hard. It is one of the most comfortable cars I have ridden in and has just about everything you could want in a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv Z View Post
Maybe true for the Z4M, but my 2012 35is is anything but spartan and hard. It is one of the most comfortable cars I have ridden in and has just about everything you could want in a car.
understood.

but... this thread was started in the e85/6 portion of zpost. this implies the OP is considering this specific chassis.

there is nothing wrong with the e89... three of of my coworkers all have the 35is, and it is a very capable car... it just doesn't have much to do with the question at hand.

should the OP stay in his AMG? or get an e86///m?

and to the OP: certainly consider an e89 35is, just don't expect it to be anything like an e85/6 of any type. the e89 is NOT a lesser car... just very different.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
there is nothing wrong with the e89... three of of my coworkers all have the 35is, and it is a very capable car... it just doesn't have much to do with the question at hand.
Completely different beast. E89's do look sharp, though!

My Moupe is low, small, loud, not super fuel efficient, a bit spartan inside, generally impractical, lets you know about every bump you go over, and a little finicky. And I love every minute of it! It adds to the cars charm and I can't help but smile every time I get in it (even 4.5 years later).

There's not much that can be added to what everyone else said. You'll either love the way it drives/handles or you won't (even if you like the looks of it.....which can also be very polarizing). Good luck with your decision, OP.
      07-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

What suburban Bosstones said!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

Here's my 2 cents. I'm 21. I've had my Porsche for 6 years now and absolutely love it! Almost 2 years ago my mom was looking for a sports car and so I ended up choosing the Z4 my dad bought for her. I thought they were gorgeous cars, still do, stunningly beautiful! It's not an M, it's the 2.5L, but it's quick and easy on the eyes.
That being said, and this is just my opinion, the Porsche is a better car in every possible way. After a couple hours in the BMW my back is killing me and my friends are in pain a well. The Porsche is light years faster and it's 22 years old, it gets more looks and compliments, and after driving across the Gulf Coast the thing is so comfortable that I just don't want to get out, so I get in and drive somewhere else! I remember when my dad brought home his 1986 Porsche and a guy in a Z4 tried to race off the light, needless to say we blew him so far off the road we're still laughing about it 4 years later.
Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Z4, I really do, and the ones I was talking about weren't Ms as far as I know so what you're thinking of is faster of course, but if the Mercedes is your daily car I would stick with it. But like I said I love the Z4, I chose it and 2 years later I'm still happy with the decision, in fact I just drove it from Wahington DC to New Orleans!
Now, also my opinion, if you were to track the car I would say the Z4 would be superb! It just grips the road. Hell, it sticks it's claws in the road and doesn't let go! It's small and lightweight so you can throw it around corners, very easy car to drive fast!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller944s2 View Post
Here's my 2 cents. I'm 21. I've had my Porsche for 6 years now and absolutely love it! Almost 2 years ago my mom was looking for a sports car and so I ended up choosing the Z4 my dad bought for her. I thought they were gorgeous cars, still do, stunningly beautiful! It's not an M, it's the 2.5L, but it's quick and easy on the eyes.
That being said, and this is just my opinion, the Porsche is a better car in every possible way. After a couple hours in the BMW my back is killing me and my friends are in pain a well. The Porsche is light years faster and it's 22 years old, it gets more looks and compliments, and after driving across the Gulf Coast the thing is so comfortable that I just don't want to get out, so I get in and drive somewhere else! I remember when my dad brought home his 1986 Porsche and a guy in a Z4 tried to race off the light, needless to say we blew him so far off the road we're still laughing about it 4 years later.
Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Z4, I really do, and the ones I was talking about weren't Ms as far as I know so what you're thinking of is faster of course, but if the Mercedes is your daily car I would stick with it. But like I said I love the Z4, I chose it and 2 years later I'm still happy with the decision, in fact I just drove it from Wahington DC to New Orleans!
Now, also my opinion, if you were to track the car I would say the Z4 would be superb! It just grips the road. Hell, it sticks it's claws in the road and doesn't let go! It's small and lightweight so you can throw it around corners, very easy car to drive fast!
To be fair you are referring to the Z4 2.5 with 175hp which in no way compares to the 330hp M version. This is like comparing a base 944 2.5(150hp) to the 250hp Turbo S. Don't get me wrong, the 944 is a capable car(I had an 87 944 S myself), but even the 944 Turbo S with its 250hp motor won't keep up with an M. Your S2 with 208hp could be easily taken by a 3.0si - never mind an M version.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller944s2 View Post
To be fair you are referring to the Z4 2.5 with 175hp which in no way compares to the 330hp M version. This is like comparing a base 944 2.5(150hp) to the 250hp Turbo S. Don't get me wrong, the 944 is a capable car(I had an 87 944 S myself), but even the 944 Turbo S with its 250hp motor won't keep up with an M. Your S2 with 208hp could be easily taken by a 3.0si - never mind an M version.
Oh definitely, just my opinion though. But my car has been race tuned so the power output is close to the Turbo S, took a 951 up to 130+ the other day. But I'm saying for a daily driver I know the 2.5i kills me for any period of time, wouldn't the M be a harder ride?
Appreciate 0