ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

X-pipe, better pops?

Hi there. My Z4M has a Stromung exhaust, along with RE S-pipes and that's it. I love the Stromung exhaust, and the S-pipes were a great addition as I love the pops and burbles the car now has under deceleration. I want to hear more of it!

My question is, does anyone know if an RE X-pipe will increase the sound of the pops/burbles, or may it perhaps diminish the sounds? I know the X-pipe gets rid of the factory resonator which muffles sound, but I wasn't sure if there was some voodoo science going on in there which might actually create the sounds I'm enjoying. Anyone have a good idea on this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Hi, I have Stromung and Rogue X pipe on my car, but I also have headers. When I added the X pipe before the headers it added more volume and depth to the sound. The burbles and pops were also more pronounced. To get the best sound you need to add headers though. I think this car with stromung's, fabspeed headers and rogue xpipe sounds fantastic, but that's my personal preference.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 1
NickyC17424.00
      08-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Hi, I have Stromung and Rogue X pipe on my car, but I also have headers. When I added the X pipe before the headers it added more volume and depth to the sound. The burbles and pops were also more pronounced. To get the best sound you need to add headers though. I think this car with stromung's, fabspeed headers and rogue xpipe sounds fantastic, but that's my personal preference.
Great thank you sir, I believe this is what I needed to know. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Great thank you sir, I believe this is what I needed to know. Much appreciated!
If u r in socal I can show you what is pop lol.
NickyC17424.00
      08-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
N55_Mike
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, Z4MC, MK7 GTI

The less muffling the car has, the more it pops. At a point I was 100% straight piped, it popped so loud my neighbors called the cops thinking they were gun shots But in your case, just go with headers or an X-pipe and it will definitely pop more. I'm the BMW pop expert in LA haha.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17424.00
      08-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

You guys all rock, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_Mike View Post
The less muffling the car has, the more it pops. At a point I was 100% straight piped, it popped so loud my neighbors called the cops thinking they were gun shots But in your case, just go with headers or an X-pipe and it will definitely pop more. I'm the BMW pop expert in LA haha.
I can agree with that! I currently run dual 3" piping all the way from header back no resonators and CSL headers and when car pops it sounds like shots fired from a rifle. It gets pretty ridiculous at times and attracts a lot of wanted and unwanted attention to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #8
N55_Mike
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, Z4MC, MK7 GTI

Ohhh yea, talking about unwanted attention. I've already gotten 3 tickets for Amplified exhaust on my Z4M alone. Luckily I get away with them most of the time without having to get them inspected. Gotta love connections hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat412 View Post
I can agree with that! I currently run dual 3" piping all the way from header back no resonators and CSL headers and when car pops it sounds like shots fired from a rifle. It gets pretty ridiculous at times and attracts a lot of wanted and unwanted attention to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Imo, skip the x pipe and go with headers. X pipes are not cheap and do nothing performance and only add a bit of sound.

I have also heard that x pipes actually decrease peak power and create a plateau around 4K rpm.

Another rule of thumb for most of us is too only modify 3 of the 4 sections of our exhaust. Straight piping is very loud, and this is coming from someone with headers, cpi test pipe section 1 and rpi mufflers.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17424.00
      08-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks Cali, I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I would have to agree with most everything thrown into this thread. I went with the x pipe first (rogue) and worked into mufflers and then headers. With RPi they were insane, pops were everywhere and you couldn't get enough of it, but drone was bad with the RPis. The stock mufflers really didn't allow for much but you'd get a few here and there with the x pipe plus stock. With everything else considered I feel like most of mine (when opened up) were contributed to the x pipe. Really enjoyed that purchase.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17424.00
      08-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
I would have to agree with most everything thrown into this thread. I went with the x pipe first (rogue) and worked into mufflers and then headers. With RPi they were insane, pops were everywhere and you couldn't get enough of it, but drone was bad with the RPis. The stock mufflers really didn't allow for much but you'd get a few here and there with the x pipe plus stock. With everything else considered I feel like most of mine (when opened up) were contributed to the x pipe. Really enjoyed that purchase.
Thanks a lot for your input!
Appreciate 0