ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Help me spend my $$$ please!

7 years ago I sold my 3 series and joined the ///M family - 2006 ///Mr to be specific. I switched forums and read up on my new baby and instantly fell in love with the idea of and ESS FI kit. Alas, it was not in my budget at that time. As the years progressed, I did become financially able to install that kit, but I couldn't justify spending $10k on an older motor - I put 15-17 k miles per year on her so by the time I could afford it, I was well over 75k on the odometer. Oh well, maybe next car.
Fast forward to present..... a month ago I purchased a - yes - 2006 //Mr! Nearly identical to the last one. Extended leather vs. brushed aluminum interior trim. Oh, only 32k miles! So, during the search phase I have in the back of my mind - or not so far back - that this one is immediately getting wheels, suspension and the ESS FI kit I've dreamed about for the last 7 years.
I start reading up specifically on this kit, and I discover that if I install this kit, I will forever have emissions failures here in New Hampshire. Holy $hit what a slap in the face! So, more & more research. Ah! VF Engineering has a FI kit - gives a few more ponies, but costs a couple g's more - but is OBDII/CARB compliant! Means putting off coilovers for a year or so, but doable. Dammit - they don't offer that kit any more!
So fellow ZPosters, I've come to the realization that I will need to stay with NA and go the route of intake-cam-exhaust. I'm not looking for a drag racer, just a bit more get up and go for the times I enter the highway & other times I can get away with it legally & safely. OK, perhaps a SCCA run now & then too
My budget is $9,000 for engine upgrades. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I need to be able to pass emissions tests. I will still be putting the same yearly mileage on her as my 3 season daily driver & can't have drive-ability & longevity problems.
AS the title says, help me spend my money. I'm especially interested to hear from those of you who live in strict emissions testing areas of the world & the trials & tribulations you have gone through.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 02:02 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Cams are a route folks often take, the gains aren't massive as with F/I, but, they do offer some higher RPM performance. Thread

The other option is a custom stroker, not sure what that would run you, I suspect it's well north of 9K. I see performance numbers from this thread, but, unless I'm missing it, nothing in terms of cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #3
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Bavauto is based in Portsmouth. Give them a call and pick their brain on the FI emissions issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 05:00 AM   #4
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe  [6.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Have you upgraded the differential yet? If you are looking for torque, that will give you more than upgrading the cam and the cost if about the same. 3k installed

Personally, I have upgraded the pulleys, ECU, Euro headers, RPI exhaust and a cold air intake for the motor and the cams will be my last upgrade with my next valve adjustment. Adding the cam will only give you a little bump from 5 to 7,000 RPMs, but you are going to most certainly have emissions issues.

Stay away from supercharging if you are going to be running the track, everyone I know has belt issues and they are no faster than anyone else.
Also, you will kill the resale value of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0