ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #23
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Agreed with most of the statements made (roadies have their place too...), and that there's unlikely to be any significant appreciation for 15+ years. There's simply too much supply right now to support that; it's not difficult to find one of these. Further, the Z isn't the icon the e30 M3 is (deservedly or not), and it won't see the same increase in value IMO. I swear, on every list I see of "Top 10 BMW's" or "Best M Cars" the f'ing Z is never mentioned. Forgotten? Unloved? Perhaps it's because the M3 crowd is a zillion times larger, or maybe the quirks we find endearing are perceived differently to others. Who knows. I forget where I was going with this, thanks pot
Yeah for a guy like me who doesn't do track stuff, loves open air and a nice simple cloth roof. The roadster works for me. But I can definitely understand why the coupes are going for much more.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #24
polar
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Z4MC07

Check out the prices for Z4M in Germany, they have more than doubled in the past two years!
http://fahrzeuge.autoscout24.de/?brd...d0=19617&dtr=s

18" Arc-8 - Michelin Cup2 - KW V3 - GC camberplates - RE trans mounts - VT engine mounts - Vorshlag RTAB shims - RPi - stubby - CDV del
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #25
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
I would say your hunch or foresight is correct as I see a surging market for M cars in the near future.

Not all of them but ones that are unloved by the general unknowing public.

Certain E36 M3's (95 w/pre-OBD 1) which is almost impossible to find not half dead due to many owners.

The E85 M Roadster (last analog BMW and 3,041 for North America). Manual only and raw.

The E86 M Coupe with its unique looks and style and small production run for North American market (1,815 units 06-08). Manual only with the last naturally aspirated in-line 6 cylinder engine conceived, designed and built by BMW M GmbH.

Low mileage, great condition with good colors will be already highly desirable.

The E34 M5 with later engine.

Expect the E36/7 M Roadster and the E36/8 M Coupe with the S54 to start creeping up again (01-02 production.

The E64 M6 Cabriolet with the 6-speed manual is to new and its looks can be polarizing.

But with only 376 total units ever produced for the North America only and under hood is four-time International Engine of The Year Award-winning S85B50 V10 there is much want, at least by me.

The E46 M3 is already creeping up and is still the modern BMW that sent the car world ablaze.

The vaunted E39 M5 with the legendary S62 sent everyone back to the drawing board because it was and in many cases still is the quintessential sports sedan.

BMW was smoking the entire industry when they simultaneously were building the E39 M5 and the E46 M3.

It was an amazing time to be a BMW fan in the early 2000's.

Find your dream BMW!
All true, if I only had a time machine... Those cars are incredible value for money as an enthusiasts car, even with maintenance in mind.
I wanted an E64 M6 Cabriolet with a manual so bad it affected my sleep.

So I backed off of it last year but the sound it makes at full chat leaves an imprint on ones soul.

My friend sold his immaculate E39 M5 for a 997.2 Turbo S. He loved that car.

We need the Back to the Future car to visit 2003!

And I forgot about an awesome non-M car from that era, the E38 740i Sport.

In Imola Red and Tan it is a gorgeous car with so much want.

It has the hardware and still beautiful cold forged M Parallel wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #26
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
It always amazes me how coupe owners think/act like the M Roadster is common place. They only made 3041 of them for the North American market.... yea I know it's not 1815, but it's far from mass production numbers.
Even though the number of M roadsters is fairly low, the total number of E85 vs E86 is enormous. Since the E85s were made for 7 years vs only 3 years with very low production numbers for the E86s both M and non-M the supply and demand values reflects this. The E85s are a dime a dozen compared to the E86s. The average Joe doesn't realize the major differences between the M vs non-M since the only exterior cosmetic differences is the bumper skins and hood ridges. The M should have come stock with the aero skirts, a spoiler and wider wheel arch sheet metal for beefier tires to give it a more drastically difference in appearance than the non-M. The money went into the performance instead of appearance. They spent the money on the 20 ///M logos splattered everywhere on the car.

Regardless of vert or coupe, as others have said, since these Ms are the last of the more raw analog BMW cars, the value should remain stable and slowly increase in the future for clean low mileage examples.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #27
zimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4 M  [2.00]
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/2/2...Coupe-7732096/
      08-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #28
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

I agree with the OP that the market is kind of messed up right now. These cars should be going for more than what's trending in the market right now. If you consider what's available today new, there's really nothing short of an exotic, that offers the same level of raw, tactile feel you get from the Z4M. The fact that it's one of the last naturally aspirated M-cars and that they're relatively limited production, should make a strong case for an appreciating model.

For context, I put my MR for sale last month and intentionally set the price above the average market rate. I actually would prefer to keep it, but also see this as an experiment to see if I can influence the market for these cars.

Of course, I know it's a well-sorted, low-mileage clean EAG car, probably in the top 5% of all MRs, but I refuse to sell it for sub-par market values. I mean, what else would I replace it with that's not something like a Mustang GT350 or a 997 GT3 (totally different league, I know.) I'm not asking that kind of money either, but point is I'm at a loss for what I'd replace it with that won't cost an arm-and-a-leg.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #29
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPop View Post
I agree with the OP that the market is kind of messed up right now. These cars should be going for more than what's trending in the market right now. If you consider what's available today new, there's really nothing short of an exotic, that offers the same level of raw, tactile feel you get from the Z4M. The fact that it's one of the last naturally aspirated M-cars and that they're relatively limited production, should make a strong case for an appreciating model.

For context, I put my MR for sale last month and intentionally set the price above the average market rate. I actually would prefer to keep it, but also see this as an experiment to see if I can influence the market for these cars.

Of course, I know it's a well-sorted, low-mileage clean EAG car, probably in the top 5% of all MRs, but I refuse to sell it for sub-par market values. I mean, what else would I replace it with that's not something like a Mustang GT350 or a 997 GT3 (totally different league, I know.) I'm not asking that kind of money either, but point is I'm at a loss for what I'd replace it with that won't cost an arm-and-a-leg.
So, why are you selling it then?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #30
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Cayman / Boxster S are about the same money, and are very similar (MT, NA 6 cyl, ~300hp, catastrophic failures out of nowhere...)
      08-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #31
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
So, why are you selling it then?
After driving a 757 hp Callaway Corvette Z06 and a 630 hp Callaway Camaro the other day, I've developed an uncanny appetite for supercharged big-displacement V8.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #32
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Cayman / Boxster S are about the same money, and are very similar (MT, NA 6 cyl, ~300hp, catastrophic failures out of nowhere...)
They drive very differently from the Z4M. The Cayman and Boxster are both easier to drive fast and have better handling than the Z4M, largely due to the mid-mounted engine config. The clutch is more forgiving, the ride is more comfortable, and visibility is much better.

That said, I still preferred the Z4M for being unforgiving, more challenging to drive fast, and for all its quirks and unique design. It also doesn't hurt that the S54 is an absolute sweetheart of an engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #33
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Agreed, that's why I love mine too. But I think what we've done is fall for the kinky girl-next-door with a mole on her tit, where most people maybe prefer the traditional beauty. Quick googling shows Cayman US sales from 06-08 are about 10:1 compared to the Moupe. Points for exclusivity yes, but sales weren't limited from the factory, demand was just lower when new. Hopefully the masses come around, and maybe BMW will make a proper new one
      08-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #34
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I am on the M2 ED waiting list.. a 2 year waiting list. I figure since I am waiting, might as well get something to drive in the meantime.

My first thought was the 2017 Camaro 1LE. There's something to be said about a car that you can take delivery, change pads/fluid, and go straight to the track with a warranty. However I am having a hard time warming up to the looks, and like you said, there are a lot of high school and rentacar Camaro V6s. I know the V6 isn't in the same realm of performance but it kind of ruins the exclusivity.

GT350.. only the 'R' version does it for me. And it's $60k before the markup. I know it is selling quickly but that is much money for me to spend on a Mustang.

F80 M3. Nice car, maybe when I have kids.

E92 M3. Used ones are not much cheaper than a new SS, and a bit sterile on the street IMO.

So I came to the M coupe. I have always loved this shape since the concept came out in 2005 or 2006. And resale should be very strong. The stock brakes and diff will not be as good as the new stuff, but it is rare and has a 'special' feel inside and out. A good buy right now IMO.

Last edited by ClothSeats; 08-17-2016 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:30 AM   #35
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
The stock brakes and diff will not be as good as the new stuff, but it is rare and has a 'special' feel inside and out.
Have you tried the stock brake? Still remembered the 1st time I took it for a spin years ago and my passenger almost hit the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #36
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
One small difference, Cayman and Boxter S are common, see several of them daily where I live and only rarely see the Z4MC.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #37
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Interesting thoughts on here. I am the kind of guy that is just unwilling to be car-poor. In fact until I bought my Z4MC I had been car payment free for a couple years and was never going back. So spending ~22k on this was not what I had planned but in the end I financed only half, so I guess I'll live. But it was after the test drive (and being in love with the S54 engine since the original M3) that I just couldn't resist.

This car is my automotive soul-mate. It has soul to spare. There may be cars I could love as much but NOT for ~$22k or less. Not even $30 or less I think.

And as far as fixing it up goes? I don't care what I have to spend. Even a new/replacement engine is cheaper than a new/used car. So, new engine? So what, done. New tranny needed? So what, done. And after I've spent that money what I still have is one bad ass soulful, bad-ass looking but still classy, amazing car.

Last edited by DaveJB; 08-19-2016 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #38
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
I am on the M2 ED waiting list.. a 2 year waiting list. I figure since I am waiting, might as well get something to drive in the meantime.

My first thought was the 2017 Camaro 1LE. There's something to be said about a car that you can take delivery, change pads/fluid, and go straight to the track with a warranty. However I am having a hard time warming up to the looks, and like you said, there are a lot of high school and rentacar Camaro V6s. I know the V6 isn't in the same realm of performance but it kind of ruins the exclusivity.

GT350.. only the 'R' version does it for me. And it's $60k before the markup. I know it is selling quickly but that is much money for me to spend on a Mustang.

F80 M3. Nice car, maybe when I have kids.

E92 M3. Used ones are not much cheaper than a new SS, and a bit sterile on the street IMO.

So I came to the M coupe. I have always loved this shape since the concept came out in 2005 or 2006. And resale should be very strong. The stock brakes and diff will not be as good as the new stuff, but it is rare and has a 'special' feel inside and out. A good buy right now IMO.
2-year waiting list?! WTF...

Are you sure you wouldn't try falling for the non-R GT350? It's still a hell of a car and unless you want to be on the track, will give you at least 80% of the R's performance and less worry about damaging those expensive carbon-fiber wheels.

Alas, you can't go wrong with the Z4M Coupe. Good choice!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 12:12 AM   #39
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
It always amazes me how coupe owners think/act like the M Roadster is common place. They only made 3041 of them for the North American market.... yea I know it's not 1815, but it's far from mass production numbers.
Interestingly I don't see any more Roadies than Coupes. And actually more Coupes at meetups and track. And would you believe since moving to South Florida 2 years ago I've seen NEITHER in the wild? Besides my old girl after work of course

I'm guessing more Roadies were sold to non-enthusiasts who garage them?
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 12:46 AM   #40
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADRACR View Post
Interestingly I don't see any more Roadies than Coupes. And actually more Coupes at meetups and track. And would you believe since moving to South Florida 2 years ago I've seen NEITHER in the wild? Besides my old girl after work of course

I'm guessing more Roadies were sold to non-enthusiasts who garage them?
I see regular roadies around here occasionally, but I've only ever seen one other M Roadster In the Charleston area, and two M Coupes. A good friend of mine had one of those M Coupes, but he moved to Texas.
Appreciate 0