ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
SloMo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible

WTB 2005 Clear lens tail lights

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
If anyone has a pair of the clear lens tail (no amber) tail lights that came on the 05 z4, i'd love to take them off your hands. I'm located in SF incase you're in the area.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Did you pick up a new-to-you Z4 already? I remember you were asking about the 05-06 Z4 which would already have clear tails. If you haven't already, you can save some coin by taking your time to look for an 05+ model. That's what I would've done if I could do it again. It will cost around $1500 to do an 03-04 to 05 clear lens conversion for tail lights, 3rd brake light, sidemarker and bi-xenon headlights. That's a lot more than you would've spent just buying an 05 in the first place.

If you already bought an 03-04 model, then I guess you're stuck like me. I'd check ebay. That's where I bought mine for around $160ish (?) for the pair. I also remember someone selling theirs on here a couple months ago, but I don't recall if it sold. As you can see I have bad memory You can do a search and contact them.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
SloMo
Private
Rep

Yes! I just picked up an 03 z4 3.0 sport. I've been looking for a couple of months for an 05 but just couldn't find any that were reasonably priced and not 2.5's.
This one is in great condition and got a good deal. It already has factory xenons, I was just looking to get rid of the amber tail and swap for the 05 tail lights.
Then planning on getting Tekarbon to do the Amber delete and headlight housing painted black (they are not responding though, and says their heaight service is out of stock on the website).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo View Post
Yes! I just picked up an 03 z4 3.0 sport. I've been looking for a couple of months for an 05 but just couldn't find any that were reasonably priced and not 2.5's.
This one is in great condition and got a good deal. It already has factory xenons, I was just looking to get rid of the amber tail and swap for the 05 tail lights.
Then planning on getting Tekarbon to do the Amber delete and headlight housing painted black (they are not responding though, and says their heaight service is out of stock on the website).
Congrats on the purchase! The red 3rd brake light is probably fine to leave alone, but don't forget to clear out your hamburgers too. Tekarbon doesn't offer an amber delete unless you can provide them with a clear lens to put in; they can only smoke out the amber for you. I just noticed they said out of stock too. I hope the guy doing this mod didn't leave the company before training someone else. I was hoping to get this headlight mod done at Tekarbon over the winter when my car is in storage. Otherwise it looks like a complicated mod to attempt myself with the ebay standalone LED halos that you can buy for ~$50.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #5
SloMo
Private
Rep

Thanks! Yeah I don't know what the deal is with Tekarbon. Will try to contact them again.

Question, since you seem to have done this- the clear tail lights I see for sale come without the plastic body color trim piece on them. Do you know if I can just remove my trim from the tail lights and put them on the new one? Are they adhesive?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
axp2948
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E85 Z4M

I have a set of clear tail lights for your 05 z4. I'm in the Bay area.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo View Post
Thanks! Yeah I don't know what the deal is with Tekarbon. Will try to contact them again.

Question, since you seem to have done this- the clear tail lights I see for sale come without the plastic body color trim piece on them. Do you know if I can just remove my trim from the tail lights and put them on the new one? Are they adhesive?
That's correct. The "french fry" has 2 small pins that line up with 2 small holes in the tail light and it's kept in place with adhesive. Clean off your 05 tail light assembly with goo gone if necessary, then carefully pry the french fry off your 03-04 light. I inserted a box cutter into a few spots behind the french fry to help get it off. Then install on your 05 light with new adhesive and voila! Much cleaner look IMO.

p/n 51137126925 for left adhesive
p/n 51137126926 for right adhesive
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
SloMo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
That's correct. The "french fry" has 2 small pins that line up with 2 small holes in the tail light and it's kept in place with adhesive. Clean off your 05 tail light assembly with goo gone if necessary, then carefully pry the french fry off your 03-04 light. I inserted a box cutter into a few spots behind the french fry to help get it off. Then install on your 05 light with new adhesive and voila! Much cleaner look IMO.

p/n 51137126925 for left adhesive
p/n 51137126926 for right adhesive
Thank you! Much appreciated, I'll do that this week.

Thanks to axp2984 for hookah me up with the tail lights. They're in mint shape!
Appreciate 0