ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Partially flatened s pipe :(

So as the title states, my s pipe is partially flattened on the bottom, so my question is does anyone know how best to repair it? I think it may be hurting the exhaust flow.. I compared against my friends car before the pipe crushed, he told me i would be far faster than another car, i compared against that car and was dissapointed...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I have heard that it loses some power, but not enough that it was not factory for the
e30m3. I would not worry about it. If you bend it back, you will probably end up with a square.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
txz4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
I have heard that it loses some power, but not enough that it was not factory for the
e30m3. I would not worry about it. If you bend it back, you will probably end up with a square.
I figured as much, it may just be in my head but who knows...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

There are two options. The first is to buy a new one cheap from the forum classifieds. The second option is to remove it and seal one end with two zip lock bags and tape so it holds water. Then fill it up with water. Wrap a towel around the bent areas to insulate them and then stick the whole thing in a big enough freezer. The water will expand and push the pipe out where it crushed. The towel insulates the crushed part so that it is the last portion to freeze and so inceases the pressure in that area. You might have to do it multiple times.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
There are two options. The first is to buy a new one cheap from the forum classifieds. The second option is to remove it and seal one end with two zip lock bags and tape so it holds water. Then fill it up with water. Wrap a towel around the bent areas to insulate them and then stick the whole thing in a big enough freezer. The water will expand and push the pipe out where it crushed. The towel insulates the crushed part so that it is the last portion to freeze and so inceases the pressure in that area. You might have to do it multiple times.
Brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
txz4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Pretty good idea, though wouldn't that ruin the cat material! and actually its a Euro header, even worse not very cheap... I thought of a tool that would solve this problem perfectly but i dont think there would be enough people who wanted to un-flaten a pipe for me to pursue making it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

What I would do is this..!

Have you ever seen the tac-weld pins for body work? They weld on and then you use a slide-hammer to pull on the pin and the material it is attached to. You can do 5-6 pins and pull this back out easy and fast. I happen to know someone that can do this too =-)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
txz4
Major
Rep

ha seems pretty obvious! lets do it....the repair i mean haha. BTW still have those stock headers if you want them...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

That would be nice I have an idea I want to try out since I am diffrent...

Since I run two into one 3" at the stock flange location I was thinking of cutting the cats off and going two into one at the header collectors tying both headers into one unit. I do not know yet have to really get in there and check it out...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
txz4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc View Post
That would be nice I have an idea I want to try out since I am diffrent...

Since I run two into one 3" at the stock flange location I was thinking of cutting the cats off and going two into one at the header collectors tying both headers into one unit. I do not know yet have to really get in there and check it out...
it sounds like it would work but it may create a choke point of sorts unless you expand the piping gradually into the current system. though im sure you know that already. Thats gonna be a really interesting setup if it works. You gotta post up pics and results for people to see if so!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Pretty good idea, though wouldn't that ruin the cat material! and actually its a Euro header, even worse not very cheap... I thought of a tool that would solve this problem perfectly but i dont think there would be enough people who wanted to un-flaten a pipe for me to pursue making it.
Ohh, forgot about the cat material!
Appreciate 0