ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #23
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

No prob! I noticed when I reorganized my ftp site I broke the links to the pictures. I'm way too lazy to fix links right now, but the color change after 3 years and xXXX miles makes a big difference!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
No prob! I noticed when I reorganized my ftp site I broke the links to the pictures. I'm way too lazy to fix links right now, but the color change after 3 years and xXXX miles makes a big difference!
Any chance you could fix the link to pictures???
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
As soon as the vent screw starts to burp coolant tighten it shut. As the pump turns off and on continue to top off the resevior with fresh water.

Drain the system (1st flush)
Refill w/ distilled water and cycle vent mode
Drain the system (2nd flush)
When do you stop pumping and drain exactly? When no more top off necessary? Is that when you drain and refill to do 2nd flush?

Last edited by thelinux; 08-25-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 11:23 PM   #26
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

This thread was very helpful for me. I have a Z4M with almost 60K miles. I have been changing out all of my fluids for Inspection II. While changing out coolant is not on the Inspection II list, not knowing the full maintenance history on this car, I feel better about changing out all fluids, including coolant and power steering.

I was only able to get out about a gallon of coolant. It looks like the M's only have a 8.0L/2.1gal capacity, so about half the total capacity drained out. I was tempted to do a 2nd flush with distilled water, but my old fluid was looking pretty good, so I just did one. I have quite a bit of coolant and distilled water left over. Those with M's only need to get one gallon of coolant. Two gallons of distilled water to do one water flush, three, if you want to do two flushes. The other difference with M's is that there is only one plastic drain plug. There is not one on the expansion tank.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige

Last edited by gpraceman; 08-09-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #27
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
This thread was very helpful for me. I have a Z4M with... The other difference with M's is that there is only one drain plug. There is not one on the expansion tank.
You mention only one drain plug. Did you drain the block? (that could be called a "2nd" drain plug)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #28
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
You mention only one drain plug. Did you drain the block? (that could be called a "2nd" drain plug)
No, I meant the plastic drain plugs. M's only have the one on the bottom of the radiator and not one for the expansion tank. I did not want to mess with the block drain.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #29
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

How time flies, I did this 3 years ago.. I guess to keep up maintenance, Ill do this again when it gets cooler out..
      05-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

A few months ago, looking to upgrade my Motive Power Bleeder, I found Motive now makes an adapter for BMW cooling systems using the plastic bleeder screw (most BMWs since the mid 1990's have the plastic bleeder screw). The brass fitting screws into the bleeder screw hole so the cooling system can be pressurized. I think that the block can be drained using this method vs. removing the cooling hose that goes into the right side of the engine block. Note, I've not tried this method yet, but will soon.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/colle...iator-products
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1