ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Track wheel set advice needed!! Thx!!

Hi, wheel/tire experts.
After much thinking, I think having a dedicated track set may be more worth it. Having said that I plan on getting into tracking more (only have 1 under my belt so far).

I am looking at this rim.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

I am a rim newbie, so I don't know how to tell the fitment. I am trusting that tirerack already did the homework for me.
For the rear, they have 2 sizes, 9.5 and 10. But the suggested tire width is the same for both?
I am thinking Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1, as my friend has them on and he is more than impressed with them. Sizes he recommended are 255/40 fronts and 275/35 rears on the above rims. Will they fit? How do I tell?

BTW, while I was searching I found this and I can't say enough how much biz this car looks.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...56&postcount=6

Sorry for the lengthy one but this investment isn't cheap and I am almost completely lost. =)
Thanks in advance!
      03-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

hmm no experts? =(
      03-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I have these wheels on my car right now with the Dunlop Star Specs you mention.... so an expert I may be!

I went with the 18x8.5's (+44 Offset) and 18x9.5's (+35 Offset) sizings. I am running 255's in front and 275's out back. I use a 7mm spacer in the rear (to make the offset +28) and a 5mm spacer in the front (to make the offset +39). These spacers are in place ONLY because I'm using these wheels as a way to determine what the ideal offset is for a set of custom wheels I may be ordering in the near future (ahem, Forgestar). Also note that I am dropped quite a bit.

TireRack does do the homework for you, mostly, and the wheels they recommend will almost always fit without major issues especially if your suspension is stock. I went with the 18x9.5 rears because I wanted to have flexibility with my offsets. With the +35 offset, the wheels are pulled inboard about as much as possible so I'm able to use spacers to push things out to where I want them. With the +25 offset, the wheels are pushed outboard about as much as possible so there isn't much I could do with respect to fine-tuning.

If you're on stock suspension, both the front 18x8.5's and the rear 18x9.5's or 18x10's should work fine. Running a 255 tire in front may present slight issues but running a bit more negative camber should solve that. The 18x9.5's will be pulled inboard a bit and the 18x10's will be pushed outboard a bit. If you end up lowering your ride height in the future, the front 18x8.5's will work fine without spacers. The 18x9.5's may need spacers to avoid rubbing on the inner fender wall and the 18x10's may rub on the outer fender wall without rolling the fender or running more negative camber.
      03-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
I have these wheels on my car right now with the Dunlop Star Specs you mention.... so an expert I may be!

I went with the 18x8.5's (+44 Offset) and 18x9.5's (+35 Offset) sizings. I am running 255's in front and 275's out back. I use a 7mm spacer in the rear (to make the offset +28) and a 5mm spacer in the front (to make the offset +39). These spacers are in place ONLY because I'm using these wheels as a way to determine what the ideal offset is for a set of custom wheels I may be ordering in the near future (ahem, Forgestar). Also note that I am dropped quite a bit.

TireRack does do the homework for you, mostly, and the wheels they recommend will almost always fit without major issues especially if your suspension is stock. I went with the 18x9.5 rears because I wanted to have flexibility with my offsets. With the +35 offset, the wheels are pulled inboard about as much as possible so I'm able to use spacers to push things out to where I want them. With the +25 offset, the wheels are pushed outboard about as much as possible so there isn't much I could do with respect to fine-tuning.

If you're on stock suspension, both the front 18x8.5's and the rear 18x9.5's or 18x10's should work fine. Running a 255 tire in front may present slight issues but running a bit more negative camber should solve that. The 18x9.5's will be pulled inboard a bit and the 18x10's will be pushed outboard a bit. If you end up lowering your ride height in the future, the front 18x8.5's will work fine without spacers. The 18x9.5's may need spacers to avoid rubbing on the inner fender wall and the 18x10's may rub on the outer fender wall without rolling the fender or running more negative camber.
awesome!! thanks so much! i'm a lot more comfortable now pulling the trigger!
      03-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

For what it is worth, I'd do whatever I could to avoid spacers on a track setup, and buy a set of wheels that fit right. Also, I've read reports of TR MT1 rims getting bent on the track from two different individuals on the E92 M3--not sure if went over curbing or what. And, that is obviously about 400 lbs heavier, but still...Nothing against TR Motorsports; I have a set of their wheels on my E30 M3, and they've worked out fine so far.

If I were to go for low cost track wheels on this car, I'd go for these:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

They seem to come at the right offsets, and are light. Seem to be popular with the E46 M3 crowd, but don't know anything about their durability.
      03-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The wheels you inquired about here http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361970 are also a very good choice. Do your research on Craigslist. I got a a perfect set of those from craigslist with only 2 uses on them and brand new R-comp rubber (flawless finish on the wheels) for $700 (deal of the century). As the e46 ///m3 ages, you're going to see a lot more used track wheels come on the market that will fit without spacers.
      03-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
For what it is worth, I'd do whatever I could to avoid spacers on a track setup, and buy a set of wheels that fit right. Also, I've read reports of TR MT1 rims getting bent on the track from two different individuals on the E92 M3--not sure if went over curbing or what. And, that is obviously about 400 lbs heavier, but still...Nothing against TR Motorsports; I have a set of their wheels on my E30 M3, and they've worked out fine so far.
I'm not sure I agree with the opinion you have of spacers. Countless dedicated track cars run spacers and I've run spacers on both my previous car, a 2004 330Ci, and my Z4M at many track events as well as on the street and have never had a single issue. So long as you use quality spacers that are hubcentric, when appropriate, and you clean the surfaces that the spacers will be in contact with and use the proper sized lugs or studs, I doubt you'll ever have any issues.

Also, I'd be shocked if the MT1's were bent at a track event without having an off-track adventure of some sort. Tracks are smoother than the street so if you keep it on the black stuff it's really rare to bend a wheel. And having driven my set in Boston, Manhattan and all points in between without catching a bend (knock on wood) while running a fixed spring rate suspension from TC Kline, I'm pretty confident they're about as strong as you're going to get.

Then again, adding 400lbs or so can certainly change things.
      03-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I'm pretty sure they didn't go off on the MT1s, but who knows if they went over steep curbing.

Regarding spacers: why mess with structural components when you don't need to? I've seen/heard of cracked spacers and hub extenders although that is not particularly common and can be associated with poor product or installation, but no need to take the chance. Additional components and interfaces increase risk. And when you use a 7mm spacer on these wheels without a hub extender, how much lip do you have left? 4mm-5mm?

Plus the extra work/attention you need to do to put them on and off when swapping wheels, etc. If there are rims of similar performance/cost ratio that don't require them--and there usually are--why use ones that won't fit without spacers?

Last edited by lucid; 03-16-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

The APEX ARC-8 wheel is 18x8.5" et38, so you wouldn't need to run a spacer to get it to the right offset for the front. There's an 18x9.5" et35 and 18x10" et25 as well. I'd just get the 10" so there's no need to run spacers. you could easily run the same sized tire as you would have on the 9.5" wheel or go wider.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
Master Apex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 '07 Z4M '06 E60M5

Which is a better/stronger track wheel:
1) APEX ARC-8 18x8.5x38 & 18x10x25
2) Enkei NT03M 18x8.5x38 & 18x10x25

Last edited by Master Apex; 05-07-2010 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

I've curbed my MT1s at the Nuerburgring often they have held up great. They're a great wheel and very light as well. A 10" wheel at the rear is not needed and the 9.5 MT1 for the rear setup works great with no spacer. I only need a front spacer to clear my brake cooling ducting.

David Brent
Appreciate 0