ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
dblaron30i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphire black Z4 30i

Tablet mount

Hey anyone interested in this idea for the non idrive models. Working on a 3D printed version that will fit nicely in the car. If enough people are interested I'll go forward with my project with input and ideas from you guys. This is what I have so far. I'm using a Lenovo tab 3 slim 7inch. It has a card slot for a sim. I'll pst pics of what I have soon. I'm also possibly thinking of making it motorized. I have already figured out how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

What kind of ideas are you having for it to be motorized? I have 3D printed a housing that sits on the dash. I was going to use a Nexus 7 (2013) but it died. I have been playing with other tablets but most of the newer tablets (I need to run Android Nougat for some functionality that I want) are 8" which are a tad big when sitting in the car. I am 6' tall and it does not obstruct my view but it would for shorter people. The housing I made is large enough to fit an 8" tablet. Currently I am on the fence of the future of my project. I am thinking I may 3D print a vent hole replacement as the vent comes apart with the just the front detaching, or scrap the tablet idea and just use my phone with a smaller holder on the dash.
Attached Images

05-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
dblaron30i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphire black Z4 30i

Yours looks pretty good. The reason I picked the Lenovo is because it is the closest to the aspect ratio of the idrive screen in e89. I'm having trouble posting the pics because my resolution is to high for the forum. I have to scale it down. As for the motorization I have programmed an arduino chip for control. I'm going to make a custom board. If you can figure how to root the Lenovo it would be the perfect tab for the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
kdanny626
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4m roadster

i'd be very interested. did you want to use the lenovo tablet just because of the aspect ratio? im wondering if you would go with the nexus 7 because a lot of research has been done for it so it would be the easiest to go with.

if you did want to use the lenovo i can probably figure it out. what were you looking for it to do? rooting it and getting access to the options is pretty straight forward, but creating an operating system to function as a head unit will take a lot of trial and error. its been a little over a year since ive really played around with the idea, but im familiar with the basics and i can probably figure out the new stuff pretty fast. if you were set on the lenovo tablet i can pick one up and figure out the differences.

i would add to the existing idea by adding a grom or equivalent unit.
http://gromaudio.com/store/most_adap...#compatibility

that plugs directly into the head unit and registers as a cd changer while allowing you to connect media via usb/bt. its nice because theres no losses in audio quality and it will let you use steering wheel and radio controls for the media/audio portion of the setup.

i would also add this especially if you'd consider making a custom mount for it-

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/2767...Mate-Bluetooth

it would provide a fair amount of control over the tablet including toggling between media/gps. it also looks pretty oem. the blue light should be able to customized to bmw's orange color or disabled completely. this would give you the best of both worlds - physical buttons on the wheel and near the shifter just like BMW's idrive as well as a touchscreen.

^ that guy did something similar
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
kdanny626
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4m roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate96 View Post
What kind of ideas are you having for it to be motorized? I have 3D printed a housing that sits on the dash. I was going to use a Nexus 7 (2013) but it died. I have been playing with other tablets but most of the newer tablets (I need to run Android Nougat for some functionality that I want) are 8" which are a tad big when sitting in the car. I am 6' tall and it does not obstruct my view but it would for shorter people. The housing I made is large enough to fit an 8" tablet. Currently I am on the fence of the future of my project. I am thinking I may 3D print a vent hole replacement as the vent comes apart with the just the front detaching, or scrap the tablet idea and just use my phone with a smaller holder on the dash.
e85 navi's are indented into the dash so they would be lower. you could cut into the dash and mount the tablet that way, but its a way bigger project. a used dash costs about 200 and new about 1500 in US.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

I have invested way too much time into this already haha.

The Nexus 7 is a POS. Goodluck getting one that actually works. I tried using one and with all the problems the tablet is faced with it was a waste of time. A couple of the reasons going with the Nexus 7 was to use Timurs Kernal. This allowed fast charging (which most new tablets do), it allowed the tablet to kill most process when going to sleep (with Nougat this is much better handled), it also allowed for 4 USB devices to connect to the tablet. I have not tested this with newer tablets but I feel I do not need this.

My current setup:
Asus zenpad z380m - Cheapest tablet running Nougat. For me Nougat is crucial. It aids with the power, and allows for multiscreen. I have GPS on one side and music on the other.

Mediabridge MBR-1500 - Allows for 2 bluetooth connections and connects as a CD changer. I use the tablet to stream music and when someone calls my phone interrupts and I can answer the call using the steering wheel controls. The steering wheel controls also next and back for the music.

I am using Tasker to complete many of the functions that are required to get the tablet and phone to work. It wakes and puts the tablet to sleep. With the tablet asleep I see about a 3-5% loss in battery per day when not in use. My daily driving typically keeps the battery charged enough. I have a few ideas to help with this but that will be later as I have a remote start that I can use to charge the tablet when needed for now.

Control of the tablet:
I searched for a controller that would work. I liked the mouse idea but there were still many limitations with it. The only place I could see mounting one is over the air bag light on the passenger side. I contemplated building a joystick, or idrive type but I do not have the time for it right now. I have ordered a different remote to use as I am also using an app called Drivemode. Still waiting for this. I am going to use Drivemode as my front end and with the KPP remote I'll be to launch all of my apps easily.

Installation:
I posted a pic above of the tablet mounted to the dash. This was with the Nexus 7 and the housing was made specific to it. When I get closer to finalizing the tablet operation I'll get back onto the housing. I do not want to cut into the dash. I am ok with the tablet sitting on the dash or making something for the center vent. I am going to tackle this next winter though.

Anyways that is the direction I am currently on for mine. If someone gets a better solution for the tablet housing I am all for it.
      05-26-2017, 06:15 AM   #7
tIndy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Are you using a WiFi only tablet? Or, LTE/4G? Is the Nexus 7 the best choice?

I really like the idea of using a tablet as GPSs are dated, don't show realtime traffic, don't have Spotify, and don't have weather radar.
Appreciate 0