ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
dfet
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 Maldives Blue

BMW Mesh wind deflector help

Hello all,

I picked up a slightly used all most like new BMW brand mesh wind deflector for my 03 Z4 and I need help finding how to secure the inner straps. I had no problem with the middle and outer but I can't seem to find where to hook the "J hook" and Velcro inners.

Can anyone offer any help
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Are you putting it on backwards? There is no inner strap IIRC only two outer (i.e., to the back) and one side strap on each side.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      05-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
TRiCC
E86 M Coupe
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

http://www.roadstersolutions.com/med.../WBKZ4Mesh.pdf <-- installation link

The j hook latches under the trim under the vert top, vert top has to be open halfway to see the trim that needs the be attached to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfet View Post
Hello all,
I picked up a slightly used all most like new BMW brand mesh wind deflector for my 03 Z4 and I need help finding how to secure the inner straps. I had no problem with the middle and outer but I can't seem to find where to hook the "J hook" and Velcro inners.

Can anyone offer any help

Last edited by TRiCC; 05-09-2017 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 3
StickMon636.00
dfet3.50
      05-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
dfet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiCC View Post
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/med.../WBKZ4Mesh.pdf <-- installation link

The j hook latches under the trim under the vert top, vert top has to be open halfway to see the trim that needs the be attached to.
Thanks for the diagram that helps. I'll just have to keep trying I guess, the others hooked under the trim as well but I had very little trouble with them.

This inner strap has Velcro on it where the others were just a pull tight setup.
I just can't feel where the inners should hook.
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
mckenna4978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' BMW z4mr-A08

installation bmw wind deflector-removable kind

Just put mine on that I had bought over the winter. Yes the directions suck! I had the top down, looked at the strap mounting points and the put the top up to see where the rear mounting points are with the so called j-hook. The plastic that covers the roll bar and extends downward to the convt. top shelf from the head rests is two pieces. If you slide your had down the back of the roll bar there you can feel it seperated. I bent the rear j-hooks slightly to accomodate it so it would slide in easier and grab that lip. With the top up, I put the head rest portion on first, attached the rear straps and left the sides undone. With the top down, I attached the side portions, snugged everything, and then put the top up again. It helps before you install to have the vinyl material sit in the sun to loosen it up a bit and to stretch over the roll bar/head restraints. Took a little bit of finesse because of the clearance issues with the top being up/down. Not impossible though. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4m

How much does it reduce cabin turbulence?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
dfet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenna4978 View Post
Just put mine on that I had bought over the winter. Yes the directions suck! I had the top down, looked at the strap mounting points and the put the top up to see where the rear mounting points are with the so called j-hook. The plastic that covers the roll bar and extends downward to the convt. top shelf from the head rests is two pieces. If you slide your had down the back of the roll bar there you can feel it seperated. I bent the rear j-hooks slightly to accomodate it so it would slide in easier and grab that lip. With the top up, I put the head rest portion on first, attached the rear straps and left the sides undone. With the top down, I attached the side portions, snugged everything, and then put the top up again. It helps before you install to have the vinyl material sit in the sun to loosen it up a bit and to stretch over the roll bar/head restraints. Took a little bit of finesse because of the clearance issues with the top being up/down. Not impossible though. Good luck!
Thanks, I'll try to figure it out. It stays on just fine with the two outer straps for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
dfet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindieselJetta View Post
Well it doesn't stop it but it does help I believe. It seems so to me on my first test drive since putting it on.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindieselJetta View Post
They help quite a bit. I bought just the center section of the hard blocker with brackets to go between the roll hoops. It helps too.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
CTHuskyinMA
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 3.0

I barely notice the difference with the mesh OEM wind deflector. I'd like to try the rigid Lexan version, but for ~ $300?

Oh, and when installing these, be careful not to kneel on the seats. I know someone who did and broke the passenger sensor mat which led to a big repair. Now I'm paranoid about that.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHuskyinMA View Post
I barely notice the difference with the mesh OEM wind deflector. I'd like to try the rigid Lexan version, but for ~ $300?
If you are adventurous, you can DIY it. If you don't have a 3D printer for the brackets, you can use his design and get someone to make them for you.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

It seems like in my town, if its sunny and warm, its also quite windy. 25mph is a typical day and winds gusting to 40+ mph happens with alarming frequency for the wig wearers out here.

However despite that, the OEM snap-in "hard" wind deflector in my car does a dandy job of keeping the wind down. No passenger of mine need ever fear a sudden wind-induced wig removal and the requisite panic U-turn to retrieve it.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
mckenna4978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' BMW z4mr-A08

Haven't really noticed a reduction in cabin turbulence, but what I have noticed is a little more privacy from other driver's peering into the cabin. I have tinted windows as well. I know it's a convertible with the top down but here in Chicago there's some knuckleheads. I know I deal with them everyday out on the street. As for a climate like Florida or someplace warmer, I don't know if I would want the wind deflector due to having the wind act as natural a/c to cool you down. It does look nice though and finishes the car aesthetically IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Sorry to be that guy, but take that stupid looking screen off people. Am I the only person who sees cars driving around with that netting and just think it looks horrible (on any car)? You bought a convertible, you knew what you were getting into! Enjoy the wind!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #15
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenna4978 View Post
Haven't really noticed a reduction in cabin turbulence, but what I have noticed is a little more privacy from other driver's peering into the cabin. I have tinted windows as well. I know it's a convertible with the top down but here in Chicago there's some knuckleheads. I know I deal with them everyday out on the street. As for a climate like Florida or someplace warmer, I don't know if I would want the wind deflector due to having the wind act as natural a/c to cool you down. It does look nice though and finishes the car aesthetically IMO.
The OEM hard deflector has snap attachments so once its been installed on your car, you can remove or re-install the deflector in just seconds. And it comes with fittings for storage on the inside of the trunk lid. So it offers the best of both worlds. The only problem is that now, they are pricey and very hard to find.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Sorry to be that guy, but take that stupid looking screen off people. Am I the only person who sees cars driving around with that netting and just think it looks horrible (on any car)? You bought a convertible, you knew what you were getting into! Enjoy the wind!
And it doubles as a fly-catcher! What's not to love?

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #17
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
The only problem is that now, they are pricey and very hard to find.
this is precisely the reason I continue to use my low cost Lexan version...
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #18
dfet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Some people like blue and some people don't. I prefer the looks of the mesh screen over the Plexiglas and I still get plenty of wind.

I still haven't figured out where to hook the inner strap.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #19
CTHuskyinMA
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfet View Post
I still haven't figured out where to hook the inner strap.
You must have it on backwards. There are no inner straps. There are 6 total, three on each side - two behind each roll bar and one on each end.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #20
P3PPY
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

I wish I’d found this thread before ordering my mesh deflector. Winter temps come early here and it’s the buffeting wind that gets me. Mesh liner is absolutely worthless. I only spent $50 shipped on the Etsy one but it was a waste of $50.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #21
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I bought it when it was cheap early on.. haven't used it.. looking for the plexi one also