ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #45
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

awesome thread. keep up with the updates!
      12-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #46
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I am really looking forward to your progress, just found this thread. Thanks for the updates
      12-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #47
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Looking great.

I have always restored my own cars,paint,multi-piece wheels and engine rebuilds . Its a super self satisfying process.

In recognizing on my own OEM coupes finish and how orange peeled it is...I'd think all of us are dying for a slicker finish and your going to have a glassy one for us all to be jealous of.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #48
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow, I really like that color and the depth! It just pops!

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #49
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Awesome attn to detail! Inspiring, hmm,.... I have this beater 88 e30 vert that has rebuild in its future.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #50
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Thanks.

Yep, she's gonna be smooth as glass and no die back (orange peel) with that deep wet look when I'm done but there's still a heck of a lot more to do before she gets where I want it.

Quote:
hmm,.... I have this beater 88 e30 vert that has rebuild in its future.
Go for it. It's only time and money LOL. Best way to plan the build budget is to add up everything you think you need and then double it (triple or quadruple the budget if this is your first project car. I have a 1970 Ford F100 shortbed and a 1968 F100 shortbed parts donor waiting in the wing for a complete frame off resto.

One thing I do that keeps a project going forward is to try to do something every day, If I don't do that I can get sidetracked for years.

Don't have to put 5 to 10 hrs a day into something every day but do something... anything. Since I sprayed it I have been kicking back a bit letting the paint cure nice and hard but every time I stepped outside and away from the Xbox I went to look at it and did something like sort out screws etc that I threw all in one box, put on a small part or pulled a little more of the masking off the car. By the time I went to bed, I had most of the trunk lid put back together and all the masking off the car from several 5-10 minute trips out to the shop.

Today was wet, cold and raining so I took advantage of it before parking my tail in the recliner and turning on the TV. I went on a trip to the BMW dealer to order a few small parts like some expanding rivits that were missing for the front bumper (I didn't lose them), a blind plug (that I did lose into never never land), a piece of weatherstripping for the bottom of the door and couple bayonet clips I broke.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #51
orfanidis360
Greece
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 E85

Nice job..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #52
seventy5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Wow! Hard working man! Cant wait for result!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #53
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Six View Post
Looking great.

I have always restored my own cars,paint,multi-piece wheels and engine rebuilds . Its a super self satisfying process.

In recognizing on my own OEM coupes finish and how orange peeled it is...I'd think all of us are dying for a slicker finish and your going to have a glassy one for us all to be jealous of.
It's very satisfying to do your own work. After sanding the OEM finish and whatever a PO had done to this thing. I'd honestly be afraid to color sand the factory clear and then buff it to completely eliminate the factory orange peel. The OEM finish is very thin.

Was a cold one today, only made it up to 52F LOL...Ya, I know Y'all northerners are laughing at me LOL. Spent time inside wrapping a few parts in 3d carbon fiber vinyl and got a little done out in the shop. Parts hopefully will be in tomorrow so I can have it wrapped up by monday, if not I should be done putting her back together on tuesday. Passenger door is almost done.

HAHAHA...LMAO The door is like a fun house mirror. I'm really not 3' tall and 4' wide LOL

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #54
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Whoa! Looks incredible! Just keeps getting better!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #55
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

What is your method of of paint correction/ final wet-sanding ? I may have an often unknown technique to share.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #56
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is your method of of paint correction/ final wet-sanding ? I may have an often unknown technique to share.
1000 wet 1500 wet then 2000 wet sand by hand. I'll get close to perfectly smooth and denib with the 1000, finish cutting with the 1500 and use the 2000 to knock down the 1500 scratches.

Cut with compound then glaze. 3m no longer makes the stuff I used to use so I'm going to try Evercoat triple system on this car.

A lot of painters are using 1000 on a DA now to knock down orange peel and nibs...... Power tools are tempting but I have enough problems experimenting with new processes and products right now LOL.

Last edited by pmmjarrett; 12-14-2012 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #57
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

can i see moar plz!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #58
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJW2OO4 View Post
can i see moar plz!!!!
OK but just a little, I don't want to be sued because you OD'ed on wine kandy

The rest of my parts came in this morning so I can finish putting her together this weekend. Took one of the mirror covers outside to get a look at it in full sun, the metal flake is on fire under that wine red candy. Sorry no pic.

Most of the hard stuff is done now. Got the seal for the convertable top back in it's groove without too much trouble, went back in a heck of a lot easier than it came out. Put the battery on the charger today on a 2 amp charge to get her back to full power. Drivers door is completely assembled and I finished wrapping interior door trim for the passenger door tonight.

Thought I'd lost the bolt to install the door glass until I remembered I dropped one inside the passenger door when I put that glass in yesterday and just grabbed the other one out of the box while I was holding the glass with one hand... Unfortunatly I forgot to dig it out of the bottom of the door before I put the insulation and door panel on... DOH!!!

Here's another fun house mirror pic for Y'all. I look like one of Santa's Elves LOL

The jamb decals came out pretty good. I like to replace decals when I can but if you have to mask one off, use a very high quality automotive masking tape and take you time cutting it with sharp hobby knife. One thing I will eventually do is cover the labels that are now below the level of the paint with a clear protection film to smooth that back out. Not really necessary but it's one of those small detailes that always bothers me. The original tire and loading information label was already badly torn up and is available from BMW so I did scrape that one off.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #59
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmjarrett View Post
1000 wet 1500 wet then 2000 wet sand by hand. I'll get close to perfectly smooth and denib with the 1000, finish cutting with the 1500 and use the 2000 to knock down the 1500 scratches.

Cut with compound then glaze. 3m no longer makes the stuff I used to use so I'm going to try Evercoat triple system on this car.

A lot of painters are using 1000 on a DA now to knock down orange peel and nibs...... Power tools are tempting but I have enough problems experimenting with new processes and products right now LOL.
I did paint correction professionally for 25+ years in case you question this method.
I cut a length of 6" and 10" Lowes large thick paint stir sticks(the truest/straightest one you can obtain) and prep it with a some light sanding to slightly round its edges and ends.

I use it when doing fresh re-spray initial knock down with whatever grit you deem to fit the texture. In your current case you mentioned 1000#. Just cut your paper to size and wrap the stick no differently than you would a soft hand pad. It will actually make the paint look slicker than just a soft pad at all final grits alone.I call this flat-sticking. It separates the man from the boys when the job is finished ,believe me.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #60
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did paint correction professionally for 25+ years in case you question this method.
I cut a length of 6" and 10" Lowes large thick paint stir sticks(the truest/straightest one you can obtain) and prep it with a some light sanding to slightly round its edges and ends.

I use it when doing fresh re-spray initial knock down with whatever grit you deem to fit the texture. In your current case you mentioned 1000#. Just cut your paper to size and wrap the stick no differently than you would a soft hand pad. It will actually make the paint look slicker than just a soft pad at all final grits alone.I call this flat-sticking. It separates the man from the boys when the job is finished ,believe me.

That makes perfect sense. I don't question it at all, I used to use paint sticks to block sand primer, never used it to cut. I'll give it a shot. Old school and inexpensive too

I have some touchup to do and need to respray the trunk lid where I fell into the paint and hit the wet Kandy with my arm when spraying the last coat and messed it up and probably wont cut and buff this car for a few months.

That's the PITA with spraying urethane Kandy vs a basecoat/intercoat kandy, If you screw this stuff up you need to let it cure about 24 hrs before you can do anything and after already spraying most of the rest of the last coat of Kandy I wasn't going to wait and have to sand the entire car AGAIN before I could clear it so I just kept spraying clear and hitting the bad spot with some kandy in the touch up gun to darken the bad spot in between coats so the urethane didn't go out of tack.

Now that I have all the jambs and inside surfaces painted I can just mask off the part I want to respray without dismanteling the whole car again. I see 3m has some foam jamb masking tape out that is supposed to give you a soft edge, I'm going to give that stuff a try. Sure looks a lot easier than folding tape and back masking.

My shop isn't temperature controlled so it'll really be up to mother nature to give me a solid week of nice weather before I do anymore paint work. For now I'll just enjoy driving her.

I want to be able to clearly read in the reflection when done. This is what I love about a urethane Kandy and a good clear. Deep and always wet looking.

The paint is highly reflexive. I was aiming for something like this and I think I pretty much nailed it.

Almost road ready. I got a lot done today, All weatherstripping is done, inside the trunk is finished, interior is completely done, doors are completely done, installed the side skirts, tail lights and rear bumper. She vil be done tomorrow ya.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #61
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Looks great! Can't wait to see daylight on it!
      12-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #62
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Looks great! Can't wait to see daylight on it!
I can't either but it looks like it's gonna be a couple days until I see sunlight again.

Pretty much done for now. Took her for a little ride:grin: I need to get a new trunk roundel, forgot to order one last week. Emblems are staying off at least until the cut and buff is done. Might not even put them back on because nobody reads them anyways, they can't help themselves and always ask what kind of car it is.

With flash on camera. It's a grey rainy winter day.

Without the flash

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #63
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Looks a lot like the Merlot Red.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #64
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
Looks a lot like the Merlot Red.

Similar shade of red but the kandy has a LOT more sparkle, depth and glow to it in the sun.

I had looked at a Merlot 2.5i just before I bought this one but that poor car was beat and not very well taken care of.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #65
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
it'd be interesting to see your car parked next to a merlot one just to show off the added depth and sparkle. that last shot in your garage shows off that depth pretty well, looks fantastic. job well done

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #66
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0 View Post
it'd be interesting to see your car parked next to a merlot one just to show off the added depth and sparkle. that last shot in your garage shows off that depth pretty well, looks fantastic. job well done
Not quite a side by side LOL. They had more sun when they took the pic of the Merlot Zed too.

Still cloudy but the sun is trying to come out. These pics still aren't full sun, but it's a glimpse in how this color changes depending on angle and light you are viewing it in and a little taste in how Kandy glows.

Last edited by pmmjarrett; 12-17-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0