ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Drive Cycle

Hey Guys
I know there are several posts about this across several BMW forums, but I have a quick question and hoped someone would know the best way to do this.

On my last motor vehicles inspection, all of the sensors are reading "not ready"

I am guessing this is because the car sat without a battery for a good amt of time over the winter, and then had the cams and airbox installed.

I have tried performing the drive cycle a couple times last week, and every sensor is still reading "incomplete"

The question is... Do all of the drive cycle functions have to be performed in the exact sequence as described on a single outing, or can they be performed separately, i.e. 20-30mph for 3 min at one point, then 40-60mph for 15 min on another outing?

Any one have to perform this on a dyno or lift to get it all done at once... In a city setting this can be difficult to do out on public roads

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
I just went through this over the weekend. I can tell you I put about 60-70 miles on the car in 2 days and got all but one of the monitors to show as ready and passed inspection.

To answer your question, you can mix and match. Won't make a difference. The toughest one to get ready is secondary air pump. Also remember to have about half tank of gas and never go higher than 3k RPM
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Just went through the same thing. The county I live in in TN requires inspection, and when I moved here from MI, the car was still in storage for winter. I failed the 1st inspection, drove it around for about a week, and then passed with no issues (that I know of). A few days of normal driving should reset the drive cycle.

I tried doing the drive cycle reset as found on the internet too, but it's difficult to do. The local BMW dealership said to just drive it in normal fashion for a few days and it should reset.
Good luck with the re-inspection.
Appreciate 0