ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Brake Caliper Painting....

I don't want to remove the brake system to paint the calipers - yes, this would be the ideal process, for sure. And....I don't want to spray paint the calipers, as so much needs to be masked off, etc.

A crazy question - has anyone carefully hand-brush painted the calipers - this is unorthodox, but would prefer this method - any info would be appreciated - regards from Seattle.
      06-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
I don't want to remove the brake system to paint the calipers - yes, this would be the ideal process, for sure. And....I don't want to spray paint the calipers, as so much needs to be masked off, etc.

A crazy question - has anyone carefully hand-brush painted the calipers - this is unorthodox, but would prefer this method - any info would be appreciated - regards from Seattle.
If you use the G2 caliper paint it's a brush on process by design. The paint is very low viscosity, almost water like, so it flows out very nicely when you brush it on. It takes 2-3 coats to get full coverage, but when you're done you can't see any signs of it having been brush applied so long as you don't keep applying when it starts curing and thickens. When I did mine it was already due for a pad change so I didn't have to worry about getting any paint on the pads so all I did was a bit of masking to keep it off the rotors.
      06-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

sG2 Brake Caliper Heat Paint Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
If you use the G2 caliper paint it's a brush on process by design. The paint is very low viscosity, almost water like, so it flows out very nicely when you brush it on. It takes 2-3 coats to get full coverage, but when you're done you can't see any signs of it having been brush applied so long as you don't keep applying when it starts curing and thickens. When I did mine it was already due for a pad change so I didn't have to worry about getting any paint on the pads so all I did was a bit of masking to keep it off the rotors.
Awesome -
Thank you for the recommendation - will give it a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-L...20Paint?NCNI-5
      07-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Fwiw G2 didn't hold up well for me during track use. Next time around Im going to remove the calipers and use high temp spray instead.
      07-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Fwiw G2 didn't hold up well for me during track use. Next time around Im going to remove the calipers and use high temp spray instead.
Interesting! I haven't had any issues with it to date. How did you prep the calipers before painting, and how many coats did you do?
      07-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting! I haven't had any issues with it to date. How did you prep the calipers before painting, and how many coats did you do?
Yep, fully prepped, 2-3 coats but the silver paint turned gold lol
      07-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Yep, fully prepped, 2-3 coats but the silver paint turned gold lol
So sounds like it held up OK as a coating but you got a color change? I used the red and it appears to have held color ok. Definitely no issues with durability for mine.
      07-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So sounds like it held up OK as a coating but you got a color change? I used the red and it appears to have held color ok. Definitely no issues with durability for mine.
Yea I think the excessive heat caused the color to change.
      11-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
I removed my calipers, clips and brackets, cleaned them thoroughly, masked them, than did a light sand to roughen up the surface slightly, than sprayed them with 2 coats primer, 4 light coats of high temp paint, on the last coat I adhered some vinyl M stickers, than finished with 3 light coats of high temp clear coat. Lots more work than just doing the G2 method but it turned out really nice and smooth. I was going for the more stealthy look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Brake Rotor Paint Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post

UPDATE:
This past summer, I carefully sanded the calipers and then cleaned them using isopropyl alcohol, and masked all areas that needed protection. i applied Rust-Oleum Specialty 1 qt. Bar-B-Que Black Satin High Heat Paint from Home Depot. This is a great satin finish and applied with disposable paint brushes. It looks really uniform and nice.